Luthern vs. Catholic

For several months, I’ve been a bit disappointed in my parish in particular because there seems to be no adult religious education other than a few short months of RCIA. Due to family circumstances and my own miopic focus on my career in my young adulthood, I was baptized two weeks prior to my 50th birthday. Therefore, I have a lot to learn about Christianity. Unlike many Catholics, I’m not satisfied to sit down and read the CCC without knowing about it’s foundation, the Bible. I want to know about all the symbolism, parallels, etc., etc., but it’s very difficult to find at the local Catholic parish in my area.

How much different would Luthern Bible study be from Catholic teaching when so many believe the two religions are fairly similar?

After only two years, I’m really getting frustrated with the Catholic church’s lack of education of it flock, but would never consider converting to any other religion. :banghead:

I suggest reading the writings of the Early Church Fathers, download John Corapi’s Teaching of Jesus Christ.

ftp://217.160.246.215/pub/audionet/EWTN_programs/Fr._John_Corapi/Teachings_of_Jesus

How much different would Luthern Bible study be from Catholic teaching when so many believe the two religions are fairly similar?

Not in its doctrines. The Lutheran believe in consubstantiation. The Catholic Church teaches transubstantiation. Lutheran does not recognize the authority of the Pope.

After only two years, I’m really getting frustrated with the Catholic church’s lack of education of it flock, but would never consider converting to any other religion. :banghead:

You ought to consult a Catholic priests about RCIA.

The CCC is THE de facto core for answers. It is HEAVILY referenced to scripture, at least the Vatican.va online edition. There are commentaries on the CCC available as well, tho those you’ll probably need to buy in book form.

If you haven’t already read it, Catholicism For Dummies is a decent enough pre-CCC read. (I’ve read it.)

The Lutherans vary widely in their beliefs from Synod to Synod, and even parish to parish. Some are pretty darned protestant, not believing in the real presence, while others are almost Catholics. Without being overly prejudiced, it’s basically impossible to know ahead of time what the quality and caliber will be.

For general bible study, it’s not TOO far off, usually, but to be honest, you might be better off asking the pastor &/or DRE to set up a CCC discussion group for adults. Pick a coffee shop, and pick a chunk to talk about over coffee. Provide the CCC sections, and look up and read the passages, and discuss. If the location has internet, ask if they will donate connection time and regular space. (many will, just for the tax write-offs, since many coffee shops know that it’s going to draw a regular crowd, most of whom will buy coffee and snacks.)

Manny, thank you for your quick response.

My question is specifically directed at interpretation of the Bible as opposed to religious practice. Unfortunately, there are people who are visual and others who are readers. I happen to be a visual person and would probably retain Bible study best in a classroom setting.

In regard to speaking to a priest about RCIA, I’ve been through an excellent RCIA course about 18 months ago. The problem with RCIA is that it only scratches the surface of Catholicism. Just enough to give a person an idea of whether or not they would like to join the Church.

Good luck and stay safe.

I have discussed my concerns with my pastor and DRE twice in the last year and have even written to the diocese about programs available at that level, but with no results. I’m seriously considering changing parishes for this reason.

A Bible is always good to bring it to a class room setting. If you want a Catholic commentary on Catholic position I recommending investing your money on the Navarre Bible Commentary.

aquinasandmore.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/store.simpleSearch/index.htm

St. Aquinas and More provides some good Catholic material.

In regard to speaking to a priest about RCIA, I’ve been through an excellent RCIA course about 18 months ago. The problem with RCIA is that it only scratches the surface of Catholicism. Just enough to give a person an idea of whether or not they would like to join the Church.

Good luck and stay safe.

Fr. Corapi’s MP3 on the Catechism goes much more in detail about Catholic teaching than your typical RCIA Program. That is why I believe that those who enter into the CC, their desire to learn more about the Catholic Church should continue.

The link I provided is free.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.