lying by Act

can you help me understand how is when somebody lies by act, I understand that you do it, if for example you act like if you were working and were not.

but would you consider it to be a lie if you copied the accent of a place where you are going to avoid being recognized as someone from outside.

and in general what rule would you consider for saying if it is a lie by act or if it’s not.

My sister copied a southern accent decades ago to be better accepted, since she was a northerner living among southerners. I didn’t realize that was wrong, or a lie, sinful.

If asked, I’m sure she would have told the truth.

I lived in the Texas, very briefly, didn’t try to blend in, and I had problems.

Is it possible to lie by actions? Isn’t that open to interpretation? The things you do are subject to interpretation, it’s not the same as actually saying something that leaves nothing open for interpretation. If you talk in a fake accent, are you really lying or are you just trying to blend in? Trying to blend in is not a lie. :shrug: If you say you are a nationality that you are not, that’s a lie. If you talk like someone else that’s not a lie it could be interpreted as a compliment or blending in. :shrug:

2483 Lying is the most direct offense against the truth. To lie is to speak or act against the truth in order to lead someone into error. By injuring man’s relation to truth and to his neighbor, a lie offends against the fundamental relation of man and of his word to the Lord.

so yes, it is possible to lie by actions, and there is where I found it quite hard to understand when are you lying or when just hiding something.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.