Lying to Go on a Job Interview

Hello,
My wife had requested a day off for a job interview and the interviewer rescheduled for a different day. My wife already had the day off, and is certain her boss will not let her change it to the new day.

Based on similar circumstances, it is possible that she may be fired if she told her boss the truth. She is really struggling because she doesn’t want to lie and call in sick, but is afraid she may lose her job if she tells the truth.

Prayers, and any thoughts you have would be appreciated!

OK she may want to fess up or find another way because if this job interviewing person calls her present job for references she could be found out any way.

1 Like

She maybe could say that her husband needs help with something, and she needs to take a day off- That thing being going to this job interview in order to ensure the well-being of her family.

Prayers for your wife.
It is just a small lie and she can confess it right?
We work so we can survive in this vain material world. Sometimes it is a cross.
Her employer wouldn’t be feared without reason.
I pray your wife manages to get a better job.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say anything to the boss, she does not need to inform them of her reasons for requesting a day.
What I WOULD do is explain to the interviewer the problematic timing due to the cancellation and ask if they can meet during non-business hours.

4 Likes

Tulitas has a good tactic…

But why can’t she just say she changed her mind and would like the new date off instead?

1 Like

Is there a reason your wife couldn’t say to her employer, “I’m so sorry, but the appointment I had originally scheduled on this day was rescheduled to this new day, so I will have to change when I am taking off?” The boss doesn’t have to know the reason for the appointment, because these things happen in more circumstances than job interviews. If pressed she can say it’s for a personal matter - which, of course, it is.

9 Likes

“I need time off for a personal matter”. Not a lie, and honest.

However, she does not want to burn a bridge, she may need a reference from her current boss someday.

1 Like

It is a sin of presumption to think “I will just commit this small sin then go to Confession”.

2 Likes

That kind of happened to me and it wasn’t pretty.

I think she doesn’t believe that would happen I guess, but it depends on much time she has coming to her. I have oodles of time stored up but can’t get away, myself.

I know but there is lying and there is lying.
If someone who you know is being wrongfully accused came to your house to hide and then his hunters came to find him what would be the appropriate action? To tell them where he is so God won’t punish you for lying? Or tell a lie and accept the risk with it or hope one day you will confess it and receive forgiveness?
In the ideal situation one would for love of truth and to protect and accept God’s response to this sin. In a realistic situation one forced to lie would present it to a priest who would discern how grave it is and should there be a canon.
I don’t think God sees us in abstract but in real situations with full details. A confessed lie that is actually big will not trigger a nice reply from a priest.
To correcty my answer - the OP’s wife should not be afraid to say this small lie and own up to it should there be rebuke from God (which I doubt).

The Church teaches the exact opposite. The “noble lie” threads have been done to death on these forums.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a4.htm

1753 A good intention (for example, that of helping one’s neighbor) does not make behavior that is intrinsically disordered, such as lying and calumny, good or just. The end does not justify the means.

1 Like

True, and truthfully, they really don’t want to know

1 Like

Hola Hasta - I think your wife should explain the situation to the prospective employer and see if she can reschedule to a time outside of work hours. Most employers don’t want a candidate to lose their current job just to attend the interview. Buena suerte!

Mental reservation is acceptable by the church. If you don’t know what that means, I encourage you to look it up.

Outright lying is still not acceptable. It’s a sin.

I am generally impressed by the advice that @1Ke gives on work related issues, so I’d like to hear what she has to say regarding such a situation.

I don’t see what else a working person applying for a job can do.

Me, I hate to lie.
I think it’s because I’m no good at it.
People know I’m pretty honest,
so they know instantly, it seems, even when I “Shade” the truth.
It’s tough, because the truth’s eventually found out.

Sick Days are part of one’s compensation package. Since it is pay, I would not be so scrupulous in the matter. After all, it’s your pay.

Indeed, there is no need to lie. Simply call the office and state “I will not be in today. I’m using a Sick Day.” If asked if you are sick, restate that you are using a Sick Day.

If you are not explicitly saying you’re actually sick, but rather using a Sick Day, you’ve told no lie. You’re simply stating that you’re taking a sick day. One might well assume you are actually sick. But that is his or her conclusion. You did not tell them you are sick.

When you return and everyone asks you if you’re feeling better just say. “Thank you for asking. I feel fine today.”

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.