Lying

Would lying about one’s accomplishments be considered a mortal sin? I know that it gives a false impression to people but in reality it doesn’t hurt them specifically such a talebearing, backbiting, etc. :confused:

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Gwaredd

Sounds like a venial sin.

Are you writing a resume?

Then all bets are off! :wink:

No, I’m not writing a resume; I’m retired. Thank God! :slight_smile:

Do not lie. It is wrong.

Haha, in that case, I’d advise:

And take it from me:

I don’t always tell lies, but when I do, I go to confession.

:cool:

Well, I’m quite aware that it is wrong but that was not my question. My question was “is it a mortal sin to tell lies about one’s self.” And, of course I go to confession but obviously I do not receive Holy Communion if the sin is considered mortal.

Darllenwch yr hyn yr wyf yn ysgrifennu! :wink:

Haha. Well played Rich. Well played.

Lying is always wrong but only grave matter if one lies under oath, lies to cause harm to someone or to their reputation, or if one is a habitual liar.

ahem, where does the lie “Honey, of course you do not look fat in those jeans!” belong???

This belongs in the “wrong, but justified to maintain a marriage” category.

Actually, seriously; lies often come up for “the greater good”, which we usually decide on the spot, such as the jeans example. This is not limited to “justified to maintain a marriage” category. Would you still agree on Wrong, but justified?

=Gwaredd;10670814]Would lying about one’s accomplishments be considered a mortal sin? I know that it gives a false impression to people but in reality it doesn’t hurt them specifically such a talebearing, backbiting, etc. :confused:

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Gwaredd

No; not in any “normal” consideration.

It’s Not a serious matter

Nor is their an intent to commit a Mortal sin

Only if one were to misrepresent themselves; say as a doctor, Law officer or a priest could I envision this escalating to a signifiant level of Guilt.

It is neverthrless sinful and pride motivated.:o

Are you saying that in certain cases such as this the ends justify the means? This should never happen!

It would depend on WHY you are lying. What is your intent?

Although I’m with those other posters who say not to lie.

so am i…

i am saying what i said for a genuine query.

boring example. In front of my grandmother, who was convalescing and not likely to survive (and in fact died a few days later), I made the mistake of saying out loud, “Hurry up you stupid squirrel! Get across the road!!” Well, the squirrel didn’t make it. Which would have greatly disturbed my grandmother. “Did he make it?” she asked. “Yes,” I said.
A lie.
For something so ultimately innoucuous, I lied to keep her comfortable. In one act, I kept her peace and comfort and I lied to do it. And I’d do it again to keep my grandma happy in her final moments.

hence, my question…

My best answer would be is that I feel no self-worth. Having said that, even discussing certain things that I have noticed about other people and relating the events to friends I never mention the person or persons name(s). This probably looks akin to self-justification, and truth be told :slight_smile: maybe it is.

I’m a little confused here. Are you talking about making up stories about yourself? Or are you comparing yourself to others and thus trying to self-justify yourself? Or are you doing something else?

Sorry for being so obtuse.

I make up stories about myself in an effort to boost my feelings so I do not feel so worthless. However, I do admit that it is not an everyday thing.

I would suggest that you talk this over with your priest, both about the lying and the lack of self respect. Perhaps it could be done outside of the confessional, where you would have more time to talk.
The thing that concerns me is that the more you lie, the more that you open yourself up to having the lies found out. In the long run, that will probably only hurt you the more.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Diolch yn fawr!

Dduw bendithia,

Gwaredd :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.