MA in Counseling and Theology


Does anyone know where one can get a dual MA in Counseling/Social Work and Theology or a good catholic university with the MA in Counseling but the option to take theology courses?
Thanks in advance!


I don't know any Catholic universities where you couldn't do that. As far as I know, University of Portland requires undergraduates to have a certain number of credits in theology in order to graduate. Also, there are chaplaincy positions filled by people with masters in moral theology, rather than psychology.


My sister earned such degrees at Loyola University - Chicago.
Dual Masters: Pastoral Theology and Counseling Psycholgy.
Googling to find that site, I found the following info first.

Might I suggest that you contact the following priest.
In the Phillipines, he is much closer to Seoul than is Chicago.

from [](

"The Loyola School of Theology (LST) is an institute for theological and pastoral education conducted by the Philippine Province of the Society of Jesus. It was recognized by the Congregation for Catholic Education as an ecclesiastical faculty on 13 August 1999. 


Tuesday 5:30 – 8:15 pm 
**Fr. Juvenal A. Moraleda, CSsR, M.A., S.T.L.** (3rd Quarter) 
Fr. Ruben M. Tanseco, S.J., M.A., S.T.L. (4th Quarter) 

This course treats the theology of Christian marriage and family in its scriptural-doctrinal underpinnings, including the socio-political role of the family in today’s world, in the light of the social teachings of the Church. It then deals with an integrative, psycho-moral approach to marital sexuality, and how marital sex issues are handled in pastoral care and counseling toward the integration of sensuality, sexuality and spirituality. 

Fr. Moraleda is a member of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer or the Redemptorist Fathers. He obtained his Licentiate in Sacred Theology from St. Mary’s Theological School, in Victoria, Australia. He is a Senior Counselor at the Center for Family Ministries (CEFAM) and a lecturer at the Inter-Congregational Theological Forum (ICTC). Fr. Tanseco holds a Licentiate Degree in Theology from Woodstock College, Maryland. **He obtained M.A. in Pastoral Counseling from the University of Detroit.** He is the Chairman-Founder of CEFAM." 

Just a suggestion ... and God bless you.

PS - official site for the school:


Maybe you can check it out?

Maybe even more helpful, here's the link to the Faculty page
at Loyola in the Phillipines.  These teachers, esp the priests,
have been educated around the world.  Click on name of any
faculty member and his/her CV turns up.  




I started at Loyola - New Orleans in the Masters of Pastoral Studies and I just applied to add the Masters of Science in Counseling. It is a combined degree MPS/MSC. It has to be done on campus although some of the MPS classes can be done through the blackboard classes. Hope that helps.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit