MA Town Bans Bottle Water Sales

Heard this on local radio but saw this article on Drudge.

thebostonchannel.com/news/23320994/detail.html

The town of Concord has banned the sale of bottled drinking water in town beginning in 2011.

“We only have one planet and I just don’t want to see it spoiled,” said Jean Hill, who introduced the measure at Concord’s Town Meeting…

Water is something we can get from the faucet. You can’t turn your faucet on and get soda," said Selectwoman Virginia McIntyre, explaining why other plastic bottles would not be banned.

We have to remember about 20 plus years ago, it was the same people who are now banning bottle water that gave us bottled water because they said the faucet water was contaminated and that bottled water was healthier than soda.:rolleyes:

Today, bottled water. Tomorrow, canned tomatoes.

I always mock people who drink bottled water since in most cases they are just buying someone else’s faucet water – but banning it, please!
The economy would grind to a halt if we lost the right to spend our money in stupid, wasteful ways – there are certainly things I don’t want to give up.

Can you please cite your source with regards to your claim;

"it was the same people who are now banning bottle water that gave us bottled water because they said the faucet water was contaminated… "

Oh, good, what are they going to do when their water pipes break?:rolleyes:
I’m not interested in waiting until FEMA comes in to serve us. (There ought to be some things we can do w/o the government.)

While I may not be the biggest user of bottled water, and I think there should be reasonable steps to protect the environment (such as no-smoking zones in public space), I find the overconcern with spoiling the planet to be quite ridiculous.

Perhaps they can encourage plastic bottle recycling?

I think Gam197’s statement was rhetorical, in that it literally was not the same individuals behind the movement. However, the bottled water fad in the US got its start as a mineral water fad, going back the late 1970s with the marketing of Perrier, a mineral water which had a strong image in Europe as being healthy.

Here is a newspaper clipping from 1978:
news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19780501&id=s7koAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jCkEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6547,130144

Mineral water, with its distinct flavor, gave way to spring water with less flavor. This in turn gave way to stuff like Dasani or Aqua Fina, which is basically tap water with has undergone reverse osmosis. Again, with the marketing push as being healthier.

[quote="angelic06, post:5, topic:197360"]
I find the overconcern with spoiling the planet to be quite ridiculous.

[/quote]

Correct me if I've interpreted your post wrong...

Showing great concern for the protection and sustainability of the environment for future generations is, according to you...ridiculous?

:confused:

originally posted by Dale_M
I think Gam197’s statement was rhetorical, in that it literally was not the same individuals behind the movement. However, the bottled water fad in the US got its start as a mineral water fad, going back the late 1970s with the marketing of Perrier, a mineral water which had a strong image in Europe as being healthy.

True, Thanks.

originally posted** by Zatzat**

Can you please cite your source with regards to your claim;

"it was the same people who are now banning bottle water that gave us bottled water because they said the faucet water was contaminated… "

I am reporting what is being said by the annoyed local residents of Concord who attended the meetings on this and the local radio station which has done a number of shows on it.

[quote="gam197, post:8, topic:197360"]
True, Thanks.

I am reporting what is being said by the annoyed local residents of Concord who attended the meetings on this and the local radio station which has done a number of shows on it.

[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification...now if only they'd cite their sources.... :D

I'd just buy some when I go out of town if I lived there.

But spending water in “stupid and wasteful ways” contributes to poverty and environmental decay.

Consider how many people on limited incomes buy stupid bottled water?

There is also the fact that the very same characters who are “bottling water” are very much engaged in the water privitization movement which both exploits the poor (see machinations in Latin America which have been utterly detrimental to the poor) and places even greater strains on water tables.

There is growing international awareness including in Rome of the deleterious consequences of the bottled water / water privitization movements and which are calling for major re-evaluations of these industries and movements behind them.

The National Catholic Rural Life Conference in Iowa has many good links and reports on this…

This makes me wonder what they put in the water on the East Coast. I have seen stupid laws, but this one would make my top ten list.

As to the “same people”, of course we do not track individual opinions of every voter over time. However, this is in recent enough memory for me to remember that the similar people (meddling liberals) were the ones who started the whole bottled water craze.

I never got into it and only use bottled water for travel. But it is absolutely unamerican to ban it.

Tap water is just as good anyways. I’m an environmental engineering student, and I can tell you that municipal tap water is extremely good. All water treatment plants also operate under strict water quality requirements, and most will investigate any degradation in quality that is still within regulatory limits (for example, the turbidity requirement is usually 0.3 NTU, but checks will be done even if levels go up to 0.1 NTU or 0.05 NTU).

Are these checks done at the treatment plant, or is the water ever check at the final destination, residential faucets? Just curious.

originally posted** by curlycool89**

Tap water is just as good anyways. I’m an environmental engineering student, and I can tell you that municipal tap water is extremely good. All water treatment plants also operate under strict water quality requirements, and most will investigate any degradation in quality that is still within regulatory limits (for example, the turbidity requirement is usually 0.3 NTU, but checks will be done even if levels go up to 0.1 NTU or 0.05 NTU).

How about birth control pill residue in our water supply?

On the radio, they also talked about the sludge in the water lines, Bottle water is expensive so I drink tap water and usually boil it but I am not sure that helps.

The estrogenization of our water supply and the attending damage to fish/fish spawning is an interesting issue, isn’t it? Only heard about this a couple of years ago…

Incidentally, I e-mailed Gail Collins a NY Times columnist re: this issue as a response to her article celebrating the 50th anniversary of the birth control bill. My comment was deleted but in fairness it could have been that the rest of the other comments dealt directly with the birth control pill whereas mine was more of a collary. They even posted several comments from women who raised moral concerns around it as well as citing Evangelium Vitae. So again - they may have simply judged my comments inappropriate given the spirit of the column…

originally posted by tpw
Incidentally, I e-mailed Gail Collins a NY Times columnist re: this issue as a response to her article celebrating the 50th anniversary of the birth control bill. My comment was deleted but in fairness it could have been that the rest of the other comments dealt directly with the birth control pill whereas mine was more of a collary

If you brought up fish and birth control, that probably was enough to take the article off.

They don’t mind article from a religious perspective because they can just write it off to religious fanatics.

I think birth control pills in their water is one of the reasons that people are spending their hard earned money on bottled water - along with contamination.

I don’t think it’s “just as good.” The water that comes out of my tap tastes like chlorine. Not to mention that there are no regulatory limits for pharmaceutical contaminants, of which there are plenty of.

If you have netflix please go watch this movie - Blue Gold: World Water Wars.

You can play it right from your computer. I won't get into the details but it shows a very eye openening scene of the water market throughout the world and makes you think twice about your bottled water.

I agree with poster 13 the majority of tap water in the United States is good however there is some that it is bad. Here every now and then the city puts out a warning to boil your water for the next few days. I have filtered water in my house we have bottles that we refill; we do not buy bottled water.

Some years ago John Stossel did a water taste test in NYC they had the most expensive water, NYC tap water down to K-Mart bottled water all the bottles were marked with only a number. There was around five or six choices. People would come up and say they can’t drink tap water it’s too nasty.

The majority of the people picked NYC tap water, K-Mart water came in second.

For the local government to ban the selling of bottled water I hope people the ban these people out of local government next election.

Hi I work for the government your too stupid to run you life so I’ll do it for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.