Macroevoltion or something

Hello CAF. I have waited long enough for the ban to be lifted.

I’m not claiming this to be a sound theory. Something may shatter it’s foundations and it’ll be viewed the same way as people who thought the Earth was flat and the center of the universe. Regardless, the theory is still mind numbing. Why shouldn’t God merit the credit? The complex life as we know it started off as simple chemical reactions; which lead to amino acids and proteins- which over millions/billions of years slowly formed DNA; and then a few billions years later after that, here you and I are sitting at our computer screens discussing where we come from. Let me reiterate; billions… BILLIONS of years! Can you even conceive that? I can’t. This whole idea makes me fall to my knees. Yet there are people who worry about reality TV star’s life drama… Or work jobs they hate and give up on dreams… Or tell people what to believe…

I look up at night to a vast, complex (yet simple) universe and I know we are all connected in some way. Perhaps we do all share a similar family tree to those first life forms here on Earth.

To be continued…
-LD

Welcome back, dear friend, from your wandering! :slight_smile:
Your words remind me of Kant:

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. I do not seek or conjecture either of them as if they were veiled obscurities or extravagances beyond the horizon of my vision; I see them before me and connect them immediately with the consciousness of my existence."

• Critique of Practical Reason*

I believe in evolution… I don’t see a conflict with creation. I think something had to start and guide either, no?

If God doesn’t exist, how much beauty if lost from everything?

Well spoken Lemon…a lot can happen in 10 or 20 billion years. I also once heard it posited that God is a developing intelligence that is essentially getting better at this creation thing.
I don’t subscribe to that theory, but it makes for some interesting thought.

It would take far too much faith for me to believe in something impossible, like evolution. (By evolution I mean the whole sequence of non-living chemicals up to the separate groupings of ‘kinds’ mentioned in Genesis).

Evolution has so many problems that the serious Christian can’t logically believe in it.

• It contradicts the Old Testament.
  • It contradicts what Jesus confirmed in the New Testament.
  • It relies on unprovable assumptions about earth’s history and radiometric dating.
  • It relies on unknown mechanisms.
  • It contradicts Information Theory.
  • It has no direct evidence, just circumstantial evidence plus a lot of imaginative hand-waving.
  • It relies on the earth being billions of years old - but it isn’t more than 10,000 years old. Seriously! Take a look at some arguments on this page: ‘how old is the earth’ for example.

Forget about evolution as the answer to everything.

**Nothing would exist without God! ** :bigyikes: :thumbsup: :smiley:

Now, what was this little business about evolution? :shrug:

One of many responses to the young earth notion: tim-thompson.com/young-earth.html

Many more at the bottom of the page

Can you explain the mechanism by which DNA forms over millions/billions of years? And if that we’re a totally random “mechanism”, then explain why we should be impressed by a cause which is dumber than a rock, dumber than ourselves who nonetheless can’t seem to replicate it’s activity and the beautiful order it somehow mindlessly produces?

Can you explain the mechanism by which DNA forms over millions/billions of years? And if that we’re a totally random “mechanism”, then explain why we should be impressed by a cause which is dumber than a rock, dumber than ourselves who nonetheless can’t seem to replicate it’s activity and the beautiful order it somehow mindlessly produces? God is what makes the universe truly awesome; the “impressiveness” we bow before.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.