Madonna's school forces(?) 200 villagers to move

From the story:

About 200 residents of a village in Malawi have been told to leave their homes to make way for the construction of Madonna's $15-million US Raising Malawi Girls Academy.

Residents of Blantyre, just outside Lilongwe, Malawi's capital, have threatened to block the project, despite receiving more than $115,000 US from the singer in compensation and being offered other land by the government.

Read more: cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010/02/12/madonna-school-malawi.html?ref=rss#socialcomments#ixzz0fNHl6auo

I'm sure her intentions are honourable but Is this really well thought out? Maybe yes, maybe no. After all, they are being paid well for the land. But is it good to disrupt a community of 200? :shrug:

I'm not convinced one way or the other.

For people who are so close to "the land", forcing them out would be a pretty cruel act. And not everybody can be "bought out" with money; that seems cynical. How very Western!

Why do we insist on ramming our own ideas down other people`s throats?

I agree :thumbsup:
“If it aint broke, don’t fix it” :slight_smile:

Madonna is probably one ofthe most repulsive human being in this country right now. This only inflames my ever growing antipathy for her. She's just another lunatic westerner who fancies that her politics make her immune from closed-mindedness and, in this case, crass cultural imperialism. Oh, she's doing them such a favor, and they should be damned grateful for it, right? Just from what know about what she's said (it should be illegal for her to talk) I can only imagine the tantrum she'd go on if someone muttered a racial slur within earshot of her. meanwhile, here she is evicting a bunch of impoverished Malawians.

What a strange view these poor people must have of western "philanthropy."

It is possible I'm being too hostile; the fact is, I just abhor this woman, and I don't believe her or pretty much any of her kind really care about other human beings; all they care about is attention.

How many small projects could be carried out with that sort of money?
There are plenty of Third World communities that might just need to have a well dug for fresh water, or maybe some basic medical care facilities, or whatever.. These would be unassuming, and would blend in with what`s already there.

Has everyone read "The Ugly American"?
Somebody should send Madonna a copy.

:thumbsup:

I saw Madonna’s 2008 concert in Argentina. The first half was amazing for the energy involved with the dancing, but for the numerous deviant motions, it is quite a workout. The second half was calm and with the “Don’t cry for me Argentina” and closeness with the audience. Also a song with about God, however we call him at the midnight hour. Also, monk-like costumes, with normal dressed men emerging to date nice normal dressed women. The end was energetic again, and, had only one sexual motion within her dance that I saw, in give it to me.

First time ever have I seen her or listened to her. If she could only leave out the sexual deviant or otherwise motions, it would be entertainment for the family.

To me it seems that one could not be both energetic and depraved. Depravity sucks the life out of people, doesn’t it? If she has a message … maybe one has to be one of those who are caught in the web of sin, in that way, to see it.

Anyway, good for her to do something for Africa … that money of hers is not hers, IOW. She is NOT being a bad American for the education is benefitting the poor and those of dark skin, those who have suffered from poor government, corrupt politicians, thieves. … I’m reading “World on Fire,” by Amy Chua.

:ehh:
Do you think that China is softer when it comes to developing resources that it wants?

It is capitalism. Like it or hate it, its how the World’s economy operates. And as I alluded to earlier, China has a growing reputation for rapaciousness when it comes to developing land that it wants.

The situation may very well be one of poor people versus rich people, but it certainly is not one of the West exploiting Africa. China is a major player in Africa, and its not alway a beneficent partner.

eh… if this were good advice, we would still be driving Model T cars.

What the brutal regime in Mainland China gets up to doesnt make riding rough-shod over others by Westerners any more ethical. Peking owns half of this country (Australia) as well, and our blind politicians dont seem to care. The very last couple of pages of “Animal Farm” come to mind: bedmates…for a while. Pretty adulterous.

It is capitalism. Like it or hate it, its how the World’s economy operates. And as I alluded to earlier, China has a growing reputation for rapaciousness when it comes to developing land that it wants.

So, all of the countries of the Third World should feel grateful to the US-led capitalist way of thinking…and lose the greater part of their independence.“Cogs in the machinery”.
Like it or not, the USA has a reputation for getting what it wants, either with the dollar: eg Alaska, or at the point of a gun: eg the Indian wars, war with Mexico, Spanish-American War etc. Mao Tse Tung`s quote: “Power comes out of the barrel of a gun.” applies to a lot of US acts in the past.

Again, the fact that Red China “has a growing reputation for rapaciousness…” doesn`t make the thing right. All it does is show the hypocrisy of that regime, and of Communism in general, as if anybody should need any more evidence of the hypocrisy of that wretched creed.

A lot of Americans have a condescending view of the rest of us. Arrogance.

The situation may very well be one of poor people versus rich people, but it certainly is not one of the West exploiting Africa. China is a major player in Africa, and its not alway a beneficent partner.

OK: call it entities with money, then. The practical result is the same.

eh… if this were good advice, we would still be driving Model T cars.

Again, arrogance. What the consumerism-driven parts of the world do is their ***problem. ***ill stand by my earlier words about small projects for a lot of people, and not destroying their way of life: just making it easier. So what if they dont have mobile phones, and all of the other ***plastic-coated toys ***that so many crave!
Rampant consumerism is sickening! It leads, in so many cases, to individualism/selfishness, and the breakup of families. Love and companionship have been given the “Heave ho!”.

You seem to at least partly condone what i`d call a “SECULARIZED Calvinism”…dog eats dog, worth judged by wealth etc. The corrupt and decadent West showcases the rotten fruits of it.
The chickens created and hatched by the so-called “Reformation” have come home to roost.

Just to repeat: have you read “The Ugly American”?

Thats right. It will give girls a chance to have an education and make something of themselves instead of sitting around in mud huts waiting to be sold by their fathers for cows or given to dirty old men as payment for the outstanding debts of their parents.

So much to learn about Africa. I like reading first hand accounts of life in Africa. Our former assistant pastor made a joke about the bishop’ sending him somewhere, hoping that he would never be sent to Africa! There is a sister diocese in Zimbabwe … has been, anyways!

I have classmates who are in China, helping to sell out American technology, I guess. Making tires there. Certoinly not selling tires there!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.