Madrassa foreigners 'must leave'

Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf says all foreign students at madrassas, or religious schools, some 1,400 pupils, must leave the country.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4728643.stm

From what I’ve heard about what is taught in those madrassas, I can certainly understand the President’s concern.

Crazy Internet Junkies Society
Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

Good. Musharraf means business, it seems. Let us pray that he lives a long and vigorous life.

Interesting. But attention should be paid to exactly what is taught in some of the schools too. Good job by President Musharraf, hopefully he’ll do something as well about any extremist instructors in the schools as well. After all, just getting rid of the foreign students doesn’t really address the root of the problem, but it IS an excellent step.

And, relative to the population of Pakistan or to the number of students in madrassas, 1,400 less will make a difference? This sounds like lip service to me.

It´s a small step in the good direction, the problem, is that Musharraf is the best we can have there, a muslim that studied in a catholic school.

[quote=Richardols]And, relative to the population of Pakistan or to the number of students in madrassas, 1,400 less will make a difference? This sounds like lip service to me.
[/quote]

I think it will. Not a world-shaking, everything will change now difference, but an important difference nonetheless. Many of the madrass-educated terrorists have not been Pakistani.

[quote=Richardols]And, relative to the population of Pakistan or to the number of students in madrassas, 1,400 less will make a difference? This sounds like lip service to me.
[/quote]

I agree with you (imagine that? :slight_smile: ) in that it almost sounds like Musharraf is almost saying only foreigners who attend the Madrasa’s are the one who become terrorists. Are Pakistani’s immune to it? Don’t get me wrong, every little bit help, but this is truly that, a “little bit” really. Again, I think they should focus more on what’s being taught in the Madrasa’s as opposed to only who is attending.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.