Magazine: U.S. Catholic

I recently subscribed to the magazine “U.S. Catholic” and after only 4 issues I am appalled by the outrageous attitude and endorsements portrayed by the Editor and his staff. It borders if not IS heresy. I have already cancelled my subscription but I can’t just let it go. It is eating at me! The June 2005 Issue has been the worst so far.
I am trying to find out who is “higher” than this editor. He is not in a diocese… he (and the whole magazine) is from the Claretian Missionaries. I read their web sites and the Missions seem very awesome and spiritual. I feel they are mistakenly spreading the wrong message in our country however.
The editor is Rev. John Molyneux, C.M.F. of Chicago. I can’t contact the archdiocese because he doesn’t answer to them. I found a Superior General for the Claretians but there MUST be a bishop somewhere in charge. Can ANYONE please tell me were to find this information? I would greatly appreciate it. Oh, and I would advise asking your friends if they receive this magazine!

The Claretians website provides some contact information, although not perhaps a chain of command. I suggest that you simply write to the editor with your concerns. You could probably also write to the archdiocese in which the magazine is located. Although the bishop may not be directly in charge of members of a religious order, it couldn’t hurt to let him know what you think.

There are a wide variety of Catholic publications, not all as orthodox as one might hope.

Somewhat off-topic, but before subscribing to a Catholic publication, it’s good to check the parent organization at Catholic Culture website reviews: catholicculture.org/sites/sites.cfm

(It may require free sign-up)

If you search ratings for RED-DANGER (fidelity rating) sites, and set all the rest of the fields to “ALL” (usability, resources) guess who pops up among 64 others:D :

http://www.catholicculture.org/images/clear.gif
http://www.catholicculture.org/images/bullet_red.gif U.S. Catholic (Review)
Site: http://www.uscatholic.org (Red)

I too cancelled my subscription long ago - I got it originally bc I was naive enough to think the mag would inform me about Catholic teachings and culture. That was before I found Catholic Answers… :smiley:

Could I buy out the rest of your subscription? I used to buy it at the local Catholic bookstore, but I don’t get there much any more.

Thanks for reminding me to visit them online.

What did you object to in the current issue, BTW?

John

I cancelled my subscription years ago. Since then I have received so much mail from them trying to get me back. I always return the card with a note attatched:

“I will consider subscribing to your magazine again whenever you decide to really be Catholic.”

I remember articles in there from people such as Elaine Pagels and some nuns who always talked about how the Church represses people sexually. This amoung many other erroroneous and heretical views. I just couldn’t put up with the filfth anymore.

John

You might want to be careful about reading this magazine. It is heretical. In other words, it will lead you AWAY from God. So don’t read it, ok? :blessyou:

I love the magazine. It is not heretical, but it does allow people to discuss topics relevant to Catholcism or even human life in general. It presents all sides of any argument discussed and gift subscriptions helped bring my sister (and her new kids) back into the Church and helped my mother return to the church, beucase it deomnstrates that there are Catholcs out there who are acutally interested in preaching the gospel through their actions and not only through empty words, while simultaneously ignoring attrocities committed and advocated by the members of the clergy.

I don’t think suppressing dialogue is advantageous to anyone. But if you want to be told what to think only, and pretend that the management of the Catholic church that allowed such horrendous action as the sexual predatory behvaior of the youth is acceptable, and our only obligation as Catholic voters is to vote for the lillegalization of abortion (and forget about services poor new mothers with unplanned pregnancies need, or the crimes agianst humanity perpetuated in wars…neither attitude was supported by the late Pope) and that everything should continue as it was before, then you are right it is not a magazine for you to read.

Serendipity,

You are greatly misrepresenting this magazine while accusing others of misrepresenting it. First let me state that no one is advocating giving pedophile priests a pass on anything. Nor is anybody saying that the poor is not our concern. And I cannot help but feel that your comment: "there are Catholcs out there who are acutally interested in preaching the gospel through their actions and not only through empty words, while simultaneously ignoring attrocities committed and advocated by the members of the clergy. " is a jab at people who do not like this magazine.

I stick by my comments that I made. This magazine has on several occasions have given false information about what the Church teaches on sexuality. They of course portray the Church as a bunch of prudish men who need to stay out of the bedroom. And since they can’t have sex, they don’t need to tell anyone else what to do either. This magazine has also glorified such notable heritics as Elaine Pagels and Sr Mary Boys, neither of whom are orthodox Catholics to say the least. The list can go on and on.

Now while I would agree with you that dialouge is important, some things cannot and will not change (women in the priesthood). We need to remember that the Church is not a democracy. We don’t get to choose what the Church teaches, and quite frankly I thank God that we don’t. It is obvious that if US Catholics chose how the Church was to run, we would all be in terrible danger of damnation.

I am glad your sister is back in the Church. Lets make sure that all of us represent that Church properly.

[quote=jaz1976]I cancelled my subscription years ago. Since then I have received so much mail from them trying to get me back. I always return the card with a note attatched:

“I will consider subscribing to your magazine again whenever you decide to really be Catholic.”

I remember articles in there from people such as Elaine Pagels and some nuns who always talked about how the Church represses people sexually. This amoung many other erroroneous and heretical views. I just couldn’t put up with the filfth anymore.
[/quote]

They harass me with mailings, trying to get me to re-subscribe, too!

Dad, a convert to the Church, warned me about this magazine a few years ago and it took me a whle to realize that he’s right. Please don’t read it. I also recommend not reading Catholic Digest. They were good until the new editor, Joop Koopman, came along.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

[quote=serendipity]…and forget about services poor new mothers with unplanned pregnancies need…
[/quote]

Just need to point out that there is no such thing as an unplanned pregnancy (with obvious exceptions of rape, which can be dealt with easily via adoption)

[quote=Luke-Jr](with obvious exceptions of rape, which can be dealt with easily via adoption)
[/quote]

Oh yeah, carry a child for nine months, sure, adoption’s easy.

John

[quote=John Higgins]Oh yeah, carry a child for nine months, sure, adoption’s easy.
[/quote]

I was referring to the solution being easy in regards to long-term care.
Would you suggest murder of the child rather than allow its mother to go through those 9 months?

[quote=serendipity](and forget about services poor new mothers with unplanned pregnancies need
[/quote]

Dear Serendipity, I agree with you we need to support these mothers. All of us in the Church share this responsibility. There are Christian organisations that work hard to support mothers with unplanned pregnancies - laity can help by volunteering at these, or at the centres which give help to mothers-to-be who might otherwise be pressurised by ‘friends’ or family into having an abortion.

I suppose what I am saying is that all Catholics carry responsibility, clergy and laity.

As I have already said, the Claretian Missionaries are good servents… I just don’t think they read their own magazine.

The June 2005 issue begins with the Editor’s note. He shares the remorse everyone at the magazine felt when Benedict XVI stepped onto the balcony…although he was kind enough to state he would pray for him anyways. Then he goes on to tell you about the exceptional articles in this issue: An interview with Dietmar Mieth: a leading Catholic moral theologian in Europe who fights for “modernism” like female priests (which isn’t possible by the way… just like a man will never give birth).

Also, he is proud of 13 open letters to Benedict XVI from “Award Winning Women who further the cause of women in the church”. They share what THEY think he should do… include looking to the faithful as a source of truth, female rights with contraception, and let’s not forget the long letter that praises God, “Blessed be She”.

Last but not least, there is a huge piece on a survery given to “Catholics” about what THEY would do if they were pope.

I was duped into subscribing because I fulled out a survey that I was naive to believe they would quote me about. I of course found out I was not the type of reader they were hopeing to quote: faithful!

I foolishly subscribed to US Catholic over a year ago. Almost immediately I knew something was wrong. Even though I didn’t renew the magazine still keeps showing up in my PO Box. What a nightmare.:bigyikes:

Fr. Richard Neuhaus has an excellent article commenting on the situation with the Jesuit magazine, America, that very well fits that situation with U.S. Catholic:

catholiceducation.org/articles/media/me0049.html

This hits both nails on the head:

A Catholic magazine — and it should be obvious that a Jesuit magazine is Catholic — may decide to publish an exchange or debate between conflicting positions, but there should be no doubt that the magazine is on the church’s side. A magazine of intellectual integrity and excitement is a magazine that knows where it stands. As for being fair and balanced, one should always be fair, but balance understood as neutrality is a formula for banality.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.