MAGAZINES: "Clean Eating", and the pill

picked up Clean Eating magazine looking for good diabetic meal recipes (they promote organic, locally raised & natural foods), not bad, and I like the way they organize the recipes, in a separate index on the contents page. any how they have features in the back including ask the doc (Dr. Berardi PhD not MD, from Precision Nutrition) topic is do pills increase weight gain. he warns against anti-depressants also ABC pill. while he admits some health benefits for use of pill, he warns that long term use of birth controll hormones may increase risk of cervical, liver and breast cancers . . . increase in body fat esp. lower body and upper arms, interfere with sexual function.

there are links cleaneatingmag.com and precisionnutrition.com but both require registration to enter.

Dr. Schwarzbein in her diet and women’s health books also stresses that obesity as well as other problems are exacerbated by hormonal imbalance, which the pill promotes and prolongs, and is a foe of prescribing the pill or patch to treat disorders such as acne, PCOD etc.

the info is out there and accepted, but women are still lulled by the easy fix into accepting an elephant gun to kill a mouse in taking hormonal BC for treatment of a variety of disorders, for which it masks symptoms but does not and cannot address underlying cause. sad.

Great info Annie, you and others may find these sites on food and nutrition useful as well.

whfoods.com/
World’s Healthiest Foods

calorie-count.com/
For those who really want to keep track of the food specs.

The info’s out there and accepted, but it’s not advertised. There’s big money in ABC. BIG money. I don’t know if I’d say women are necessarily “lulled” into the easy fix as much as it is that they’re bombarded by the easy fix, on television, in radio, and in magazines and internet ads. The alternatives to ABC for treating disorders are not well known either. A good reproductive endocrinologist is not nearly as easy to find as an OB/gyn and a pharmacist. The majority of women with PCOS are not even seeing a reproductive endocrinologist. Even laboratories don’t have appropriate testing methodologies where female reproductive endocrinology is concerned.

Here in Houston I live next to the largest medical center in the US, I have access to top medical care, some of the best doctors in the country. But the way I found the doctors I’m using now is through word of mouth beginning with my NFP instructor. You can go to any doctor, any MD and be prescribed the pill, your family practitioner can do it. But to find someone who has access to appropriate testing facilities and cares to use them is at best difficult and in some parts of the country near impossible.

If a woman is celibate and has no desire to have kids ever and takes the pill to treat the symptoms of PCOS, what is wrong with that?

Thanks Annie for that info.

By my own personal experience, the Pill has caused an imballance. I gained more than 20 pounds, in three months and the Dr. claimed it was because of an increased appetite. With weight it’s easy to put on, not so easy to take off.:frowning:

Carjack, there isn’t anything morally wrong for a woman to take the Pill for medical reasons (especially if she is celibate) but some doctors tend to just prescribe it without searching for another alternative that can actually help fix the problem. The pill basicaly masks the problems.

In my own experience, I was given the pill to shrink an ovarian cyst. When I went for my followup visit, the dr. “forgot” that I was taking it because of the cyst, and thought it was for ABC.

It can be difficult to find out information about hormone therapy. I’ve been taking Yaz for hormone replacement due to a newly diagnosed genetic/medical condition, but now that I’m getting married next month I’ve had to do the research to switch to something that won’t prevent pregancy if it’s in God’s plan for me and my soon-to-be husband. Luckily, there are knowledgeable reproductive endocrinologists out there who are aware of the options. There are also, for those who prefer natural and/or bioidentical hormones, compounding pharmacies that can put something together tailored to the specific individual’s needs.

Once the last of my current Yaz is done, I’ll be switching to a much lower dose of estradiol (generic estrace) and prometrium. At least the prometrium is natural progesterone. Lower doses of hormones are definitely better for long term use.

I did not say it was wrong in the moral sense, I pointed out the opinion, cited by several authorities, that the grave side effects of the pill outweigh its benefit for this and other conditions. there are many here and on family forum who have posted their experience with PCOS and with reference to doctors and sources who reject this method, which treats the symptoms not the disease. I am simply offering a comment from a source, not making a judgment or medical recommendation to anyone. as someone who took the first, second and third generation of hormonal BC and replacement therapies (for medical not contraceptive purposes) and did suffer, am suffering and will suffer grievously from the side effects I simply offer the observation of people more learned than I.

I guess my post sort of sounded defensive:blush: Natural methods might be better. Why aren’t these articles in a more public magazine? It is a shame that the public is misinformed.

simply pointing out that this info is in public magazines, not limited to pro-life sites, but we have a duty to educate ourselves. for one thing it is on the package inserts for the medication itself.

packages make it look like the risk are minimal.

I beg to differ, several have black box warnings

I didn’t notice it. I will look again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.