Magic and fortunetelling?

Hello, I was wanting to know if magic and fortune telling are wrong in the eyes of God? Because some friends from church told me so.

They told me that practicing magic (however benefic it may be) is wrong.
That fortunetelling is wrong.
And that praying dead people for help is wrong.

So is it really true? is it a mortal sin? Are fortunetellers like going to hell? And is praying angels okay?

I would totally understand why all these things would be wrong but i wish for a confirmation and and some explanation.

Thanks for any information.

Hi, yes witchcraft and fortune telling are wrong, because they turn the person away from God. It also opens doors to demons…very dangerous for the soul. If we need help, we should come to God, to Mary, the Saints, Angels, not attempt any witchcraft… we don’t need it anyway, we have something much better :slight_smile: some people (mediums) claim to speak with spirits, those who have died, etc, but the common view in the Church is that these “spirits” are demons in disguise.

The Catechism states that these things are sinful…

praying to Angels and Saints is alright because they’re with God and the intercession happens through the Holy Spirit. Also, the Saints are alive in Christ, not dead. What the Bible forbids is asking the dead for information (ie: trying to call up your great uncle or someone who passed away to ask what the afterlife is like, etc.)

Then there are some things like fortunetelling, horoscopes, etc, that are superstition, and should be avoided too.

God bless

In answer to your questions: Yes, Yes, NO!

Here is what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says about magic:

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future (Cf. Deut 18:10; Jer 29:8.). Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

But this is not the same thing as praying to the Angels and Saints for their intercession. There is a difference between necromancy and intercessory prayer. The main difference, of course, is God. See CCC 956-958 for further explanation.

In a nutshell, magic and sorcery are attempts to gain knowledge and/or power apart from God. Praying to the Saints is asking for their intercession in accordance with the will of God. See the difference?

As for whether all fortune tellers are going to hell, I’ll leave the for God to judge. I would say that most of them are probably more guilty of the sin of lying than they are of actual magic. We should pray for their repentance just as we pray for all sinners (including ourselves!).

Alix - the friends that told you that praying to angels and “dead people” is wrong - are they Catholic? If so, I hope they are aware that we can pray to saints, angels, and the holy souls in purgatory.

Thanks everyone for such extended information! It’s a bit what I guessed…

Alix - the friends that told you that praying to angels and “dead people” is wrong - are they Catholic? If so, I hope they are aware that we can pray to saints, angels, and the holy souls in purgatory.

Yes, they’re catholic, they just told me you shouldn’t pray dead people like for help, to rescue you, things like that…

Which 1 of those rules are not man made rules? As far as fortune telling, it doesn’t look good for the most part. I’m sure there can be some humans with a gift from God, but a lot of these fortune tellers are phony & some probably work with evil spirits. It’s ok to talk to some spirits, but you have to go about it the right way like some have mentioned on here.

Nevermind… Is there a way to edit posts?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.