Magic in real life

most people say that fantasy magic and magic in real life are very different. I’ve always just read about magic in books or tv shows. the fictional kind.

I mean it doesn’t exist. however, what are people talking about when they claim to be doing real magic or witchcraft? I know the church teaches that it has demonic influence. so how come certain people claim they are “good witches”. you can’t actually “cast spells” so to speak, wouldn’t there just be nothing that happens?

don’t worry, I’m not planning on delving in to the occult or anything. magic to me was always just something made up so I don’t really get what people seem to think they can do. seems more just a bunch of people doing weird stuff but I guess I don’t know much about it

There is power in the occult, like witch craft and new age, sometimes if not most times it is bogus but not always. The actual results would always be coming from fallen angels.

Magic is real. Read the Bible, its mentioned over and over again.

The “standard theology” holds that magic and the like are real, and powered by demonic beings; hence the scriptural ban on getting involved therein. This would not apply to “magic tricks” of the entertainment type.

ICXC NIKA

ok how does it differ from fictional magic then?

Fiction is fiction. Nothing to be concerned about IMINWHO.

Anybody seeking in e.g. Harry Potter for a key to practicing genuine magic would be very disappointed, as such information can’t be found there.

ICXC NIKA

I thought all magic was fiction. what exactly is meant by genuine magic? I guess I am just baffled by people thinking they can actually perform spells? does it always involve calling on spirits or something?

I may be kind of like you, angell, in that I tend to scoff at the idea of real magic and the idea of Wiccans having actual power. However the Church does teach that magic does exist. (The Catechism wouldn’t devote a section prohibiting something that doesn’t exist. We don’t have a section of the Catechism telling us it’s a sin to ride a Stegosaurus while making out with a Vulcan for example because there’s no need to put that in. So logically there was reason magic had to be addressed.)

In case you’re in interested in what the Catechism says,

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a1.htm#2117

How does this differ from fictional magic? Depends on the fiction story but here are two examples.

Harry Potter: Harry’s magic comes from an innate ability that he was born with and is acted upon with a Latinesque language.

Lord of the Rings: Gandalf has innate ability by virtue of being a demigod. The power he calls upon is himself. (And because he’s in Middle Earth, not Earth, the Church’s rules don’t really apply to him anyways.)

In neither of those examples do the characters call upon evil spirits to do their bidding.

So magic, as defined by the Church, always involves calling on occult powers, which are not Heavenly, to have personal control. Now if you’re like me and are very skeptical of actual magic, just accept the wisdom of the Church and stay away from it anyways.

what about stories where it’s presented as energy that can be manipulated? i.e. more like a force of physics. I’m think more along the lines of buffy the vampire slayer. though I think some spells do involve spirits.

I’m not interested in looking in to real magic, of course. it’s cool on tv and all but I’m sure in real life you don’t turn fire in to ice and that kind of thing

It would be best to stick to what the Catechism and the Bible tells us. Yes, there are people who can, through demonic influence, do certain things. In the New Age, these demons are not called that. They are described as being helpful in some way and are given certain pleasant sounding labels to make them appear benign. They are not. There are converts who once dabbled in such things, and by the grace of God, were brought out of it.

Ed

Well I’ve never watched Buffy but talking about a force to be manipulated sounds like The Force. In the case of the Jedi it’s their own innate ability to manipulate it, not calling on the occult, so there’s still a difference.

Yes. Absolutely!

Two points:

1. There is indeed such a thing for real.

2. It is not like Harry Potter, or Buffy, or Eragon, or Star Wars, or any number of other basically innocent worlds. The key difference is that there, the human subject has magical powers as part of his or her nature, and/or uses impersonal forces or invokes benevolent beings. (Is a miticlorian personal? Who knows. I prefer the impersonal “force” of IV, V, and VI.) Essentially, it is natural work or (presumably) God-sanctioned supernatural work vs. the invocation of spirits unfriendly to God’s kingdom or attempting to control ambiguous forces as an alternative to the aids offered through revealed religion.

It is real unfortunately.

well, it’s not exactly the force like in star wars, but in the buffy universe, there is mystical energy that can be transferred. due to different parallel universes. Kind of like harnessing electricity, I guess. I haven’t gotten that far in to it yet but it does involve spells and such. some to call on spirits of greek gods but those are the spells that usually went awry.

well that’s because in our world, there are no extra forces of physics to be manipulated. and there is no magical genetic trait
and no benevolent fairy godmothers to invoke

Ah. (I should check Buffy out some time probably.)

Side note: If you like reading, one book series I’ve liked was A Wizard in Rhyme. (First book is: Her Majesty’s Wizard.) The basic premise rests on an English major in college getting transported to an alternate reality where magic is real and utilized by poetry. Intertwined with that is a strong religious presence because that alternate reality is in its version of Middle Ages Europe before the Reformation. (And the Church is seen as a major force of good.)

I know a few people born with spiritual “talent”, Blake heley book the Vail. Describes this. And he teaches people how to see in the spiritual relm. Read his book review. It is real

I would not recommend doing this.

Ed

Yes.

Do not even go there. When one messes with the spiritual realm, in terms of New Age stuff, you are playing with fire. You will be messing with powers that seriously outclasses you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.