Magic in tobit

The bible condemns sorcery and magic, but yet I hear there is magic in tobit? I know there is big controversy with the extra 7 books in the bible, but dosent this just make the extra books false? Please note i havent read tobit yet, i just hear there is magic in it.

Extra books?

coming from a protestant background i should have said deuterocanonical

There is no “magic” in the Book of Tobit in the sense of invoking spirits / demons.

There is an exorcism of a demon, Asmodeus, conducted under the supervision of the Angel Raphael:

*And Tobias remembering the angel’s word, took out of his bag part of the liver, and laid it upon burning coals.
Then the angel Raphael took the devil, and bound him in the desert of upper Egypt.
Then Tobias exhorted the virgin, and said to her: Sara, arise, and let us pray to God to day, and to morrow, and the next day: because for these three nights we are joined to God: and when the third night is over, we will be in our own wedlock.
For we are the children of saints, and we must not be joined together like heathens that know not God.
So they both arose, and prayed earnestly both together that health might be given them, * (Tobit 8: 2-6)

Tolle, lege. There’s nothing quite like reading the text.

The book of Tobit is not included in protestant bibles, and I think retroactively some people have decided this is because there is “magic” used in the book, when Archangel Raphael tells Tobias to burn parts of a fish to exorcise Sarah from the demon Azmodeus and to heal his father’s blindness. However it is not magic but simply God healing people through physical means–in short, a sacramental prayer to God. This is similar to when Jesus heals a blind man by spitting in dirt and putting the mud on the man’s eyes. It is really silly to say there is magic in the book of Tobit as God heals through His creation and this is just one great example of sacramental life.

Ahhhhh I love the book of Tobit! It was the reading for many weekday Masses when I first started attending weekday Mass. That pushed me to read the entire book. Some say it is allegorical; all I know is that it is beautiful, and the first full book of the Bible I read since returning to the Faith and to God.

Miracles are not ‘magic’. God’s Hand is not ‘magic’, and those are the two things I remember from the book of Tobit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.