Magisterium, Synod, Council - the differences between them

Can anyone give me some comments on the basic differences between a Magisterium, Synod and Council?

Has the existence, use and purpose of them all always been consistent throughout the centuries? Do the Eastern and Western Churches both use them in the same way?

Magisterium answers the question “Who”. It is all the bishops in union with the Pope.

The following article from the Catholic Encyclopedia is interesting and should answer a lot of your questions regarding synod/council.
newadvent.org/cathen/14388a.htm

Magisterium answers the question “Who”. It is all the bishops in union with the Pope.

Does this mean that before 1054 A.D. the magisterium included all the bishops in the Byzantine Empire?

This article appears to insinuate that a council and synod are identical. Thats interesting information. Perhaps council is the latin word and synod is the greek word for the same thing.

While I am certainly no expert, I would think it would. However, only if they are in union with the Pope. I presume that if a bishop rejects the Pope, he removes himself from the Magisterium. That is essentially what happened during the Great Schism.

Synod

General Councils

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.