major mormon mistake

My wife converted to Mormonism from jehovahs witness about seven years ago. We have come to a mutual understanding that our beliefs do not line up with each other, but we respect each other. I’m Catholic, and here is my mistake. :

Several months ago, a very nice person from her church asked me if I would be interested in working with their boy scout troop. Since I thought it would be a neutral thing I agreed to help out.
Well, I’ve been doing it now for three months, and the undercurrent of trying to get me involved in their church is getting quite discouraging.
My main focus was perhaps doing something outside of the religion that we both could be together with, but no.
The religion plays a HUGE part in their scouting program, and I feel if I just walk away my wife will develop that religious haughty attitude that the mormons are famous for. ( Believe me it really gets thick at times).
How can I walk away, and preserve the respect, and/or mutual understanding that has developed during the past few months between my wife and the mormon people?
I’m not trying to be a jerk about this, just want to end it on a decent note.

Don’t walk away and live your faith with love and charity. This is opertunity to evangelize your wife and others.
Your wife will see how you are treated and how kind you are to others and side with you as the loving leader of your home.

I personally expericences something similar at an evangical church and my wife eventually sided with a loving husband compared to a mean preacher. It took about 2 years

I’d walk away. If the religion plays a large part of their scouting program I would feel that I am aiding in false teaching that could ultimately cost those children eternal life.

This. And if you want to continue helping in scouting, Im sure you can find a group that meets at a nearby catholic church or someplace secular.

That & This. Both great ideas :smiley:

Getting people involved in church activities is a way to push conversion. Are the others giving you lots of attention? Soon your head might be fighting with your feelings about your new friends, and it could endanger your faith. You’re essentially being evangelized in a very subtle way. Others have given their ideas on how to get out. I’ll say a prayer.

Yes.

I used to think Scouts was neutral territory as well, until we moved to Utah.
Because it was an honest oversight on your part, perhaps your wife can read about the LDS connection to the Scouts and realize that you signed up for more than you thought - preparing male youth for the LDS priesthood. Maybe give the troop leader a little heads up and leave in a month or two?

From the (LDS) Scouting Handbook:
lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/scouting-handbook-2012.pdf?lang=eng

Purpose of Scouting in the Aaronic Priesthood and Primary

Scouting can help young men and boys enhance close relationships with their families and
the Church while developing strong and desirable traits of character, citizenship, and physical and mental fitness. Under priesthood leadership, Scouting can complement the efforts of Aaronic Priesthood quorums and Primary classes in building testimonies in young men and boys. Scouting under Church sponsorship should become an extension of the home, Primary classes, and Aaronic Priesthood quorums. Scouting functions
as part of the Church’s activity program for boys and young men.

and from The New York Times: (edited for length)
nytimes.com/2012/10/18/us/mormons-and-scouts-act-as-partners-in-molding-boys.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

As Partners, Mormons and Scouts Turn Boys Into Men

With mutual exaltation of God and country and a shared aim of nurturing “morally straight” men with leadership skills and a service ethic, the Mormons and the Boy Scouts seem made for each other, as entwined as a square knot. And in an unusual partnership dating to 1913, the Mormon Church has embraced scouting wholesale, giving it a central role in preparing male youths for their two-year missionary stints and adulthood as lay priests.

Virtually every Mormon church, or ward, has a scout troop. Every Mormon boy is automatically enrolled, and the vast majority participate. An exceptional share — three out of four at Troop 1194, here in Cedar Hills — attain the top rank, Eagle.

The civic and outdoor activities of scouting and the church’s more purely spiritual training are seamlessly combined: boys are divided into the same age groups in both settings, and their bishop-appointed scoutmaster on Wednesday night is also the man who guides them on Sunday through the stages of the Aaronic priesthood, in which boys 12 to 18 years old take on growing sacred duties.

I just recently listened to Thomas Smith, a convert to the Catholic Faith from Mormonism the religion his family maintain from the time of Joseph Smith.

If your wife is a Mormon, she needs you to convert so that you both can go to the temple together and she can be sealed to you for eternity. Without that, according to their faith, she after death, she will not be able to get into the highest heaven and will not be able to become one of your wives since you won’t become a new God meaning she together with your other wives will not be able to populate your planet for you with the spirit children she and your other wives are supposed to give birth to.

You NOT being a Mormon is basically messing up her plans of being with you for all eternity. She’s probably going to be pretty frustrated with you if you don’t go with the flow of things and convert.

Depending on how dedicated she is to this new faith, this may become more of a problem that you think.

Here is the link to the inexpensive Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of Thomas Smith lighthousecatholicmedia.org/store/speaker/thomas_smith

Take this as an opportunity to evangelize the Catholic faith.

Is this seriously what they believe?

I mean, I like the idea of having a planet up in heaven to play around with, but I meant it more in the, I want to build stuff for a long time sense, like Minecraft or Inception…

Spirit children?

Being a god? It’s a tempting thought, but isn’t that why Satan got the boot; wanting to be a god?

Is that seriously what they believe?

That is the most bizarre thing I’ve ever read!

And why Adam and Eve got kicked out of the garden. But Mormons believe that they did the right thing.

Mormons believe that Adam and Eve… the ones who brought death into the world, disobeyed God, and stained us with original sin, did the right thing?

… Have they ever heard of logic and reason? Ever? Period? The ENTIRE Bible is chronicling the effects of that particular choice, here’s a hint, most of them were pretty bad…

wow… that’s a lot to take in…

Finish up a certain time, months, season, then that’s it…
Give them notice so they have time to attain a Mormon
instructor… because it’s only a matter of time before that
happens, anyway.
How anyone can believe in Mormonism is truly beyond me.

I am so sorry you find yourself in this position.
I think the best way to end it is to be honest but in a Christ-like manner.

Talk to whomever is in charge of the troop and tell them that you were looking to find a neutral way of finding something that you and your wife could do together, but you have sensed that you are being prostylized to, and you are a Catholic and have no interest in being Mormon. That you dont want any of this to put a strain on your marriage and that both you and your wife and fine with the way things are.

Good luck and God Bless.
I hate when this happens.

D&C 132
19 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them—Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths—then shall it be written in the Lamb’s Book of Life, that he shall commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever.

20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have call power, and the angels are subject unto them.

That’s…

wow…

I don’t really know what else to say…

Listen closely to Marie, and the other former mormons on here. They have a huge amount of knowledge on these things.

Now, to get a little nosy. Do you have children? Are they in this “scout” troop? If the answer is Yes, GET THEM OUT NOW!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.