major terror attacks against pilgrims

“A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, and a rotten tree cannot produce good fruit.” Matthew 7:18

“Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree rotten and its fruit rotten, because a tree is known by its fruit”. Matthew 12:33

Some Christians may not be aware, but “islamic terrorism” as it is commonly known is not a problem only to western nations. Those muslims that commit terrorist acts are primarily the salafis and the wahabis based out of Saudi Arabia. But the problem is that many muslims stay quiet and are reluctant to point the finger and lay blame or even demand a strong position against those ideologies that promote terrorism because they fear it would cause disunity among the muslims or create a Fitna. This leads the non-muslim to conclude that all muslims are alike. Meanwhile in reality we have two competing doctrines in Islam.

One doctrine which promotes hate, and another that promotes love.

Every year, the lovers of the Prophet’s household commemorate his grandson’s martydom, and millions flock to where he is buried in Karbala, this year it was estimated that 9 million pilgrims attended the mourning ceremonies lasting 1 month and 10 days. And every year on the same anniversary, the haters execute brutal suicide bombings against the pilgrims.

some of the major highlights are:

• Feb. 13, 2009: A female bomber attacks a tent in Iskandiriya, south of Baghdad, filled with women and children resting during Arbaeen pilgrimage to Karbala, leaving more than 40 people martyred and wounding 82 others.

• Feb. 12, 2009: A suicide bomber detonates an explosive belt packed with nails among Arbaeen mourners in Karbala near the revered Imam Hussein shrine, martyring eight mourners and wounding more than 50.

• Feb. 11, 2009: At least 12 people are martyred and more than 40 wounded in bombings in Baghdad targeting Arbaeen mourners traveling to Karbala.

• Jan. 4, 2009: A suicide bomber dressed in women’s clothing and hiding among Iranian pilgrims martyrs more than three dozen people and wounds at least 72 outside Kazimiyah shrine. It remains unclear whether the bomber was in fact a woman.

• Aug. 14, 2008: A bomber strikes pilgrims in Iskandariyah, 30 miles south of the capital, leaving at least 18 people martyred and wounding 75.

• July 28, 2008: Female suicide bombers attack a pilgrimage in Baghdad and a Kurdish protest rally in northern Iraq, martyring at least 57 people and wounding nearly 300.

• March 17, 2008: A bomber attacks a group of worshippers near Husseini shrine in Karbala, martyring at least 49 people and wounding 73.

• Feb. 24, 2008: A man wearing a suicide vest martyrs 56 when he triggers the device in a crowd of travelers enjoying refreshments in a tent near Iskandariyah, 30 miles south of Baghdad. At least 68 people are injured.

• March 6, 2007: Two suicide bombers blow themselves up in Hillah, about 60 miles south of Baghdad, martyring 120 people in a crowd of pilgrims.

• July 6, 2006: A suicide car bombing martyrs 12 people, mostly Iranian pilgrims, at Kufa mosque.

• Aug. 31, 2005: At least 1,000 pilgrims were martyred in a bridge stampede caused when somebody claimed there was a suicide bomber in their midst on the occasion of martyrdom anniversary of Al-Imam Al-Kadhim (AS) in Kadhemiyah.

• March 2, 2004: A suicide bomber martyrs at least 85 people at the Imam Hussein shrine in Karbala.

Yes, I would imagine that most victims of Islamic terrorism are Muslims, given the religious demographics in the societies most afflicted by it. It is such a tragedy that such things happen. I pray that God accept and show mercy upon the souls of the upright and loving of ALL of His creation, and that the lives lost seemingly in vain in such attacks be transformed into lessons for future generations of Muslims so that eventually the sects will lay down their arms and cease their hostilities not just against each other, but against everyone towards whom they use religious zealotry as a weapon.

The most ironic attack was in response to the film The Message.

You can read about it here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad,_Messenger_of_God#Response

:thumbsup:
But you forgot the first part:
(Matthew 7:15-17):
Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.”

Those muslims that commit terrorist acts are primarily the salafis and the wahabis based out of Saudi Arabia.

Those salafis and the wahabis are the fruit of Muhammed. :wink:

This is where we differ, I believe the salafis and wahabis are the fruits of Aisha, Abu bakr, Omar, Mu’awiyah and those who work for them.

Also Ali and his followers like Ayatollah Khomeini are the fruit of Muhammed:

Fatwa:
"A man can marry a girl younger than nine years of age, even if the girl is still a baby being breastfed. A man, however is prohibited from having intercourse with a girl younger than nine, other sexual acts such as foreplay, rubbing, kissing and sodomy is allowed. A man having intercourse with a girl younger than nine years of age has not committed a crime, but only an infraction, if the girl is not permanently damaged. If the girl, however, is permanently damaged, the man must provide for her all her life. But this girl will not count as one of the man’s four permanent wives. He also is not permitted to marry the girl’s sister."
E A

Now I know that you don’t agree with him, BUT the majority of the Shia do.

Where is the doctrine of love you mention? Don’t all Muslims read the same Quran?
Where are love, compassion and charity preached in the Quran?

Vickie

I don’t know that majority of shias agree with the Khomini, I do know the man followed his own philosophy and ideas, and did not attribute any of what he says in the fatwa above to the teachings of the Ahlul-bayt (prophet’s family). The khomini was a proponent of Irfan, (Islamic mysticism) which overlaps greatly with Sufism. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irfan

The prophet and his family warned us about these people in a long hadith, i’ll quote the relevant parts below:

Narrated Imam Hassan al-Askari: "There will come a time on the people … their scholars are the most evil of God’s creation on the earth, ** because they lean towards philosophy and tasawwuf (Sufism)**, and by God; they are the people of enmity and corruption, they exaggerate in loving our enemies, and mislead our partisans (shia) and lovers…"
Source: Safinat al-najaat vol.2 page 58

سيأتي زمان على الناس (…) علماؤهم شرار خلق الله على وجه الأرض لأنهم يميلون إلى الفلسفة والتصوف! وأيّم والله: أنهم من أهل العدوان والتحرف، يبالغون في حب مخالفينا، ويضلون شيعتنا وموالينا، فإن نالوا منصبا لم يشبعوا عن الرشاء، وإن خُذلوا عبدوا الله على الرياء، ألا إنهم قُطّاع طريق المؤمنين والدعاة إلى نحلة الملحدين، فمن أدركهم فليحذرهم وليضمن دينه وإيمانه منهم“

In Another hadith, Imam Sadiq was asked about sufism and he answered "they are our enemies, whoever leans towards them becomes one of them and will be raised among them (on the judgment day), they are a people who claim to love us (the prophet’s family) yet hearken to the them (sufism), they identify themselves with them, and talk their talk, indeed whoever hearkens to them is not one of us and we are free from his affairs, but whomever denies them and answers them is like the one who fought the unbelievers on the prophet’s side"
Source: safinat al-najaat vol.2 page 57

”الصادق (عليه السلام) لما سُئل عن الصوفية: ”إنهم أعداؤنا! فمن مال إليهم فهو منهم ويحشر معهم، وسيكون أقوام، يدّعون حبنا ويميلون إليهم ويتشبهون بهم، ويلقبون أنفسهم بلقبهم، ويقولون أقوالهم، ألا فمن مال إليهم فليس منا، وإنّا منه براء، ومن أنكرهم وردّ عليهم، كان كمن جاهد الكفار بين يدي رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله“

Charity:

Therefore, treat not the orphan with harshness
Nor repulse the petitioner (unheard)

(2:177) True piety does not consist in turning your faces towards the east or the west - but truly pious is he who believes in God, and the Last Day; and the angels, and revelation, and the prophets; and spends his substance - however much he himself may cherish - it - upon his near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer, and the beggars, and for the freeing of human beings from bondage; and is constant in prayer, and renders the purifying dues; and [truly pious are] they who keep their promises whenever they promise, and are patient in misfortune and hardship and in time of peril: it is they that have proved themselves true, and it is they, they who are conscious of God.

love and mercy
6:54 And when those who believe in Our revelations come unto thee, say: Peace be unto you! Your Lord hath prescribed for Himself mercy, that whoso of you doeth evil and repenteth afterward thereof and doeth right, (for him) lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

21:107 We sent thee (o Muhammad) not, but as a Mercy for all creatures.

3:31 Say [O Prophet]: “If you love God, follow me, [and] God will love you and forgive you your sins; for God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace.”

76:8 And they feed, for the love of Allah, the indigent, the orphan, and the captive.

30:21 And among His wonders is this: He creates for you mates out of your own kind. so that you might incline towards them, and He engenders love and tenderness between you: in this, behold, there are messages indeed for people who think!

Forgiveness of others

31:15 “But if they strive to make thee join in worship with Me things of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not; yet bear them company in this life with justice (and consideration), and follow the way of those who turn to me (in love): in the end the return of you all is to Me, and I will tell you the truth (and meaning) of all that ye did.”

45:14 "Tell those who believe, to forgive those who do not look forward to the Days of Allah: It is for Him to recompense (for good or ill) each People according to what they have earned.

The part i highlighted green disturbs me the most!!! :eek::mad:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.