Major U.S. city officially condemns Catholic Church

Instructs members to defy ‘Holy Office of Inquisition’

A San Francisco city and county board resolution that officially labeled the Catholic church’s moral teachings on homosexuality as “insulting to all San Franciscans,” “hateful,” “defamatory,” “insensitive” and “ignorant” will be challenged tomorrow in court for violating the Constitution’s prohibition of government hostility toward religion.

Resolution 168-08, passed unanimously by the City and County of San Francisco Board of Supervisors two years ago, also accused the Vatican of being a “foreign country” meddling with and attempting to “negatively influence (San Francisco’s) existing and established customs.”

wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=69693

:(:mad:

I read about this today, I can’t believe all the terrible things they said about the church. It made me sick to think that the church that does so much for people, is being so persecuted. We really need to stand together and be one body, because people are persecuting us in all directions. All I did today was pray because I was so sickened by this article. :frowning:

Father Z has picked up this story:

wdtprs.com/blog/2008/07/another-step-toward-what-we-know-must-eventually-come/

I’ll be in The SF Bay Area in early august if anyone’s down for a protest…

Maybe what they need is for some us us ignorant, disgusting, hateful Catholics to do a good old fashioned sit in.

After all, San Franciscans love it when homosexuals pull stunts like that. So lets just watch they in their full blown hypocrisy when they condemn Catholics for the same kind of protests.

All I know, is that I am very proud to be a practicing Catholic. There was an article some time ago regarding issues of this nature and it go’s somewhat like this. The Church NEVER denounces gays, and neither has the Pope. The Pope has always said "faiths must stand up to th most intolerant entity of all…moral relativism. " Some in the gay community want to label all religion as a hate crime. The secularists demand that religion be banished from public discussion. So who’s intolerant??

PROUD TO BE CATHOLIC!!!

HEAVENLY FATHER, TOGETHER WITH YOUR SON, YOU SENT THE HOLY SPIRIT TO YOUR CHURCH AND YOUR CHILDREN, AND YOU CONTINUE TO SEND HIM TO WORK THE WONDERS OF YOUR LOVE IN US. ENLIGHTEN AND STRENGHTHEN THROUGH HIM OUR HOLY FATHER AND ALL THE BISHOPS AND PRIESTS OF YOUR CHURCH. CONTINUE TO CONFIRM IN EVER GREATER HOLINESS ALL THE DIFFERENT STATES OF LIFE AND LEAD HER, IMMACULATE
BRIDE OF CHRIST, TO VICTORY OVER ALL HER ENEMIES. THROUGH THE SAME CHRIST OUR LORD.

AMEN,

GOD BLESS
TO ALL MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CHRIST

<><:thumbsup:

Truly!

These people say that seperation of church and state means we can’t use religion as an excuse to disagree with gay marriage. But they don;t believe in that seperation if they want to pass official government documents condeming a church.

There say we should be tolerant to everybody, except Catholics! Surely there are more Catholics than gays!

They deny the history and heritage of their city, and all of California. They should be forced to stop using the name San Francisco if they wish to ban Catholicism.

O, St. Francis, Pray for the citizens of your city!

It’s Catch-22. Even if we don’t use religion to disagree, they don’t want any disagreement at all.

I couldn’t decide whether to laugh or cry hearing this discussed on this morning’s talk radio show. Satan has taken over San Francisco.

Where is the ACLU? Aren’t they supposed to be up in arms whenever SoCaS comes up?

There is an evangelical group that is planning an Exodus to South Carolina to create a “safe haven” for Christians and to eventually secede from the U.S. I think we should do something similar – gather up all the Catholics and take over San Francisco. Meet them on their turf and have a Holy War. I’m not usually combative, but man, this makes me want to fight for the faith.

Anyone with me?

haha, i’m usually a bit combative…so yeah, I’m with you. I’m ready to go in August.

I think South Carolina already tried to secede. It started the Civil War (NO, not the “War Between the States” as some from a certain region like to call it :p)

While on one hand it’s shocking, on the other hand it’s not. Didn’t San Francisco just recently ban the US Marine Corps from their city limits? Having a little brother who is a Marine, that was quite offensive to our family. This is even more offensive yet. I simply wait to see what San Francisco will do next.

Technically, that was Berkley, but that’s not much of a difference.

Just to split hairs… they both did. Berkley with the Code Pink nonsense at the Recruiting Office, and San Francisco denying them the permits necessary to film their recruitment commercial in front of the Golden Gate Bridge.

What if everyone could be this “tolerant” and “open-minded”… ?

Ah, thanks.

…all the more ironic considering the founders of and the very name of the city itself…

How sad is that i didn’t even have to open this thread to know exactly which city it was condemning the church.:frowning:

What is SoCaS?:confused:

I thought South Carolina was already an evangelical stronghold.

I’m not sure that I would want to model my actions on a group which wants to secede from the union. If they hate America so much, why don’t they just leave?

As for San Francisco, living there is already very much like living in a different country! :o

What is SoCaS?

Separation of Church and State

I work for the DoD. Everything has an acronym. :smiley:

I’m not sure the Exodus crowd hates America. In fact, quite the opposite, I think they love this country but unfortunately see no hope of America’s conversion. I see their point, but I do believe that we can convert America with our voices, our consistent actions and our prayers. I’m much more in favor of making OUR voices heard a little louder. Sure, there is a lot of hate out there, but I blame those of us who have kept quiet and let them keep speaking without rebutting. I don’t want to be silent on these subjects anymore. I don’t want to secede. I want to get every traditional Catholic in the country to convene on San Fran and overwhelm them with values and morals. Chase the devil out, if you will. :wink:

I think if you’re openly secessionist then it’s fair to say you hate America.

I think if you’re openly secessionist then it’s fair to say you hate America.

I see your point, and I must agree that they most certainly “hate” America’s government as it exists today: bloated, completely disconnected from the Constitution and its founding principles, and on the verge of tyranny. Can’t say that I blame them at all. :smiley:

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I’ll leave you all in peace!

I happen to be from the Yay Area, though I live in Detroit Metro, and I can understand why the SFO Council did this, although I also think they deserve some flak for it. Remember, the didn’t actually condemn the RCC itself, but called it out on some of its teachings. The real problem they were likely trying to address was the behavior of many self-assured (ahem, smug) Catholics who really do behave this way.

I can’t even count how many times on this forum alone I have indeed seen Catholics being very insulting to all San Franciscans, even Californians in general. And that’s even more true regarding hateful, insensitive, defamatory and sheerly ignorant yammering about homosexuals (and bisexuals, women, various religions and races and pretty much everyone except straight, white Catholic males). And if this forum’s any litmus test, the SF Council may well have a point, even if they’re being less than subtle with it. If you don’t like it - don’t HELP them make it! Sheesh.

And a few here in this thread talking smack like secession, or even potential violence? Way to represent your faith, guys. :rolleyes:

I loved living there, and knew all sorts of people. I actually lived in Oakland (I was terribly poor and lived in the worst areas of Oakland, and that is saying something) but I got over to SF fairly often. Experiences with gay couples there were often wonderful. If I may wax anecdotal, once I was nearly fainting with hunger, trying to get to the BART station to get home, and a guy was walking up the stairs to his place. His partner opened the door to let him in, spotted me, and immediately said “Omigosh, look at that poor girl - I don’t even want to think about when she last had a meal!” And they both insisted I let them help me up the stairs, and sit while they put a blanket over me and fixed me a huge dinner which I couldn’t even get close to finishing.

I was overwhelmed by their generosity, and burst into tears when, as I was leaving, the first guy trotted up with a bag ‘in case I was hungry on the train’. When I did open it, there was also a pair of mittens and a wooly hat with a note - "I know I’m not so good at knitting, but hope these come in handy in winter - we used to live in Oakland too and those winds are something! :slight_smile: "

This was hardly atypical of gay San Franciscans, or straight ones. And there’s a very strong, and yes liberal, Catholic community there too. Great city, and I happen to love the mercurial sense of humor, kindness and diversity it fosters!

Note: yes, I’m also carrying over some of the baggage from the “Catholics Should Boycott San Francisco” thread. Crimony, people…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.