Make Poverty History: Be part of it and act now!

Dear friends

Please pray for the G8 Summit that the most powerful countries in the world will devise effective plans in total agreement that will ‘Make Poverty History’.

Read all about the Campaign at:

makepovertyhistory.org/

Sign the petition to Make Poverty History at:

live8list.com/en/live8list.html

View information about Live8 world concert in aid of ‘Make Poverty History’ at:

channels.aolsvc.co.uk/music/…616104909990001

The fact that every three seconds a child dies in the world because of lack of clean water and lack of food is an intellectual absurdity and a moral horror.

Act now and put your voice behind the Make Poverty History campaign.

God Bless you for taking part and for your much needed prayers prior to the G8 Summit.

Teresa

[quote=springbreeze]Dear friends

Please pray for the G8 Summit that the most powerful countries in the world will devise effective plans in total agreement that will ‘Make Poverty History’.

Read all about the Campaign at:

makepovertyhistory.org/

Sign the petition to Make Poverty History at:

live8list.com/en/live8list.html

View information about Live8 world concert in aid of ‘Make Poverty History’ at:

channels.aolsvc.co.uk/music/…616104909990001

The fact that every three seconds a child dies in the world because of lack of clean water and lack of food is an intellectual absurdity and a moral horror.

Act now and put your voice behind the Make Poverty History campaign.

God Bless you for taking part and for your much needed prayers prior to the G8 Summit.

Teresa
[/quote]

Blessings Teresa,

I’m all for “making poverty history”, but I’m unclear how the G8 leaders will do that. What are the proposals? The only link that worked for me was the last one, and all it says on the live8 is…

By doubling aid, fully cancelling debt, and delivering trade justice for Africa…

Respectfully, this won’t make poverty history. It’s kind of a grandiose slogan, don’t you think? I mean, they only seem concerned about Africa. What about all of the other poverty in the world?

I believe privately, we can all do more. However, I’m not convinced the governments are the right avenue. The only thing they would do is take money from their citizens and give it to other countries. With bureaucracy and corruption in various governments, I’m afraid this would not achieve it’s purposes.

Robert

[quote=rlg94086]Blessings Teresa,

I’m all for “making poverty history”, but I’m unclear how the G8 leaders will do that. What are the proposals? The only link that worked for me was the last one, and all it says on the live8 is…

Respectfully, this won’t make poverty history. It’s kind of a grandiose slogan, don’t you think? I mean, they only seem concerned about Africa. What about all of the other poverty in the world?

I believe privately, we can all do more. However, I’m not convinced the governments are the right avenue. The only thing they would do is take money from their citizens and give it to other countries. With bureaucracy and corruption in various governments, I’m afraid this would not achieve it’s purposes.

Robert
[/quote]

Dear friend

You believe? You think?

Pray. God can do anything. Pray! You don’t need to think, you need to pray!

23 of the 24 poorest countries in the world are in Africa. csmonitor.com/2005/0613/p01s02-woaf.html Poverty is not a natural state, poverty is man-made and men can stop poverty by God’s Grace.

We cannot ever say we bypass the poor because of the sheer number of them, we cannot turn from the face of Christ in the poor, we cannot excuse our inaction by the size of the task, we cannot be a generation that ignores the poor, we must be a great generation!

PRAY!

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

[quote=springbreeze]Dear friend

You believe? You think?

Pray. God can do anything. Pray! You don’t need to think, you need to pray!

Poverty is no a natural state, poverty is man-made and men can stop poverty by God’s Grace.

PRAY!

Teresa
[/quote]

We need to pray and think and do. God gave us the ability to think things through. If all we do with the gifts we are given is create slogans which accomplish nothing, then we have failed in our mission.

God Bless,

Robert.

[quote=rlg94086]We need to pray and think and do. God gave us the ability to think things through. If all we do with the gifts we are given is create slogans which accomplish nothing, then we have failed in our mission.

God Bless,

Robert.
[/quote]

Dear friend

The most powerful 8 countries in the world are meeting, to among other things, eleviate poverty worldwide and especially in Africa, if your conscience says that is unworthy and you don’t believe by the power of prayer God will intercede when asked then why are you even bothering to reply to any post in this thread? Why do you bother to pray for anything?

With men nothing is possible, with God anything is possible!

Teresa

The most powerful 8 countries in the world are meeting, to among other things, eleviate poverty worldwide and especially in Africa, if your conscience says that is unworthy and you don’t believe by the power of prayer God will intercede when asked then why are you even bothering to reply to any post in this thread? Why do you bother to pray for anything?

With men nothing is possible, with God anything is possible!

Teresa
[/quote]

Teresa,

Why do you insult me? I agree with the goals, but I disagree with the method. Yes, with God all things are possible. I am praying that these government leaders encourage people to help alleviate poverty. However, I believe that any efforts they make as a governmental body are going to be wasteful. This has nothing to do with God’s intervention; it’s the reality of government programs.

I bother to reply to this thread, because I would like to encourage you to put your efforts where they will be more useful.

If you want to eliminate poverty, start or support a private group to go to poverty stricken areas and do something. Encourage government leaders to help free up trade and spread individual freedom into countries whose economies are restrained due to restrictive governments.

I will continue to pray with you to end poverty.

God Bless,

Robert.

[quote=rlg94086]Teresa,

Why do you insult me? I agree with the goals, but I disagree with the method. Yes, with God all things are possible. I am praying that these government leaders encourage people to help alleviate poverty. However, I believe that any efforts they make as a governmental body are going to be wasteful. This has nothing to do with God’s intervention; it’s the reality of government programs.

I bother to reply to this thread, because I would like to encourage you to put your efforts where they will be more useful.

If you want to eliminate poverty, start or support a private group to go to poverty stricken areas and do something. Encourage government leaders to help free up trade and spread individual freedom into countries whose economies are restrained due to restrictive governments.

I will continue to pray with you to end poverty.

God Bless,

Robert.
[/quote]

Dear friend

I haven’t insulted you. You seem to think a few folks turning up with seed and grains and some relief effort will help those in Africa, the problem is for the most part political and in that way political powers have the ability to eleviate their problems.

Those people, children, in Africa don’t just lack a playstation and holidays, chocolate as a treat or a bit of schooling, they are DYING!

The word Catholic means Universal as you know, that does not just mean the cosy, coseted, affluent west of the world , that also applies to the whole world. Poverty to some extent is relative, but poverty such as is seen in Africa is in Biblical proportions and is something beyond the obvious grasp of those in the West!

You can pontificate on the politics and excuse inaction, but if you have your reservations and you as someone with little knowledge on most things as are we all; you can surrender them to the God and ask His will be done. At least you can concede to this if you believe that God will use whatever poor instrument He sees fit to use.
You can at least pray surely!

Teresa

**I will pray about this Teresa:) Lets also pray that planned parenthood does not attach nooses to it:) **

We ALL agree with the goal of alleviating poverty. But that doesn’t mean the proposed method will work.

Let’s remember WHY African and other nations are poor and burdened with crushing debt. The fundamental reason is that they are ruled by corrupt and brutal dictators and oligarchies, who borrow money, accept aid – and then steal it for themselves, while leaving their people in poverty.

In fact, much of the borrowed money and aid goes to bolster the power of these governments.

Until we address THAT problem, all the aid in the world will serve only to forge bigger, stronger chains for the oppressed peoples in these countries.

Here’s a home team member we can probably all agree upon.

catholicrelief.org/

94% of contributions go to those who need them without any questionable teachings going with it.

I haven’t insulted you. Let me make it clear by responding within your message.

You seem to think a few folks turning up with seed and grains and some relief effort will help those in Africa that’s not what I said, and this statement insults those who are doing real work to end poverty.

, the problem is for the most part political and in that way political powers have the ability to eleviate their problems. **I agree, but that’s not what the “make poverty history” is about. It’s primarily about forgiving debt (this may help some) and throwing more money at the problem **

Those people, children, in Africa don’t just lack a playstation and holidays, chocolate as a treat or a bit of schooling, they are DYING! Again, this insults me and others who are doing something about poverty. I never mentioned playstations and chocolates. Give me a break!

The word Catholic means Universal as you know, that does not just mean the cosy, coseted, affluent west of the world More insults, that also applies to the whole world. Poverty to some extent is relative, but poverty such as is seen in Africa is in Biblical proportions and is something beyond the obvious grasp of those in the West! The world is not just comprised of Africa and the West. When I write of other poverty in the world, I wasn’t talking about Detroit, although it exists there too. There are many places where serious poverty exists. A slogan like “making poverty history” sounds like a worldwide campaign, but in reality it is only concerned with Africa. “The word Catholic means Universal as you know”.

You can pontificate on the politics and excuse inaction more insults and I didn’t excuse inaction, I called for action, but if you have your reservations and you as someone with little knowledge **insult and major assumption **on most things as are we all; you can surrender them to the God and ask His will be done. At least you can concede to this if you believe that God will use whatever poor instrument He sees fit to use. Absolutely, however I believe God would like us to use better instruments.

You can at least pray surely! I mentioned my prayers in my other replies. Why would you doubt my sincerity?

God Bless you and much love and peace to you and also to you.

Teresa
[/quote]

Robert.

[quote=Stu]Here’s a home team member we can probably all agree upon.

catholicrelief.org/

94% of contributions go to those who need them without any questionable teachings going with it.
[/quote]

Thanks Stu. I hope they’re not just a “few folks showing up with seeds and grains and some relief effort”. :wink:

Truthfully, they do good work. More can always be done.

God Bless,

Robert

Dear friend

Thank you Lisa for your prayers.

I am appalled at the simple request for prayer for something that could and will make a difference to those who live in life threatening poverty. If this is Catholic Charity, then I am totally foreign to the way folks think on this forum.

Good luck… I am appalled and to anyone reading this it looks like a set of convenient excuses to sit in the lap of luxury and poo-hoo anything anyone does to try and eleviate poverty.

I simply asked for prayer and that is too much for you all with exception to Lisa.

God Bless you greatly Lisa.

Tonight I am ashamed to be Catholic

I am appalled at the simple request for prayer for something that could and will make a difference to those who live in life threatening poverty. If this is Catholic Charity, then I am totally foreign to the way folks think on this forum.

Good luck… I am appalled and to anyone reading this it looks like a set of convenient excuses to sit in the lap of luxury and poo-hoo anything anyone does to try and eleviate poverty.

I simply asked for prayer and that is too much for you all with exception to Lisa.

[/quote]

Are you saying that those of us who look askance at this particular program – which, given the history of corruption and oppression in the nations in question seems a prudent position to take – are somehow sinning?

To be Catholic we must be Politically Correct to the point of supporting oppressive governments?

[/quote]

A bit over-dramatic I would say. No one questions the goal, just the means. There is a difference

If I told you I could end poverty in Africa in two-weeks if you personally liquidate all of your material possessions and give the cash to me, would you? Why not? Do you have “some convenient excuses to sit in the lap of luxury and poo-hoo anything anyone does to try and eleviate [SIC] poverty?”

Many are skeptical of relieving the debt as a means to help. That’s all. Prayers are always in order and certainly donations to respectable charities.

[quote=vern humphrey]Are you saying that those of us who look askance at this particular program – which, given the history of corruption and oppression in the nations in question seems a prudent position to take – are somehow sinning?

To be Catholic we must be Politically Correct to the point of supporting oppressive governments?
[/quote]

Dear friend

For Pete’s sake!

All Governments have some corruption otherwise what sane person would take a political role. What Government of the world is more corrupt than the USA. Power and thirst for it, itself is corrupt.

You miss what I am saying and you miss it because you yourself sit in your house with your family with your 2.5 kids and a car and you do not know poverty that kills you!

You have no idea!

You see your taxes and bills and some terrible injustice now and then that is metered out by your so-called justice system, but what you do not recognise is that your system frankly exists on the back of others.

I am telling you, tonight I made a reasonable plea for prayer to end poverty that kills people and that is possible because it is a matter that is falling on the table before the most powerful Governments of the world, whether they are corrupt or not.

That prayer you may or may not choose to say and you in your finite wisdom are not able to adequately predict what God will do with your prayer.

Such a carry on as I have seen on these threads I have formed tonight is not what I expect from the Eucharistically joyous and hopeful Christians of Christ Jesus.

Personally I think Christ Jesus will and can use many ways to bring about His Kingdom Of Heaven and in such a flawed world where all men are sinners, what hope is there then in men? There is no hope in men. But there is hope in Christ Jesus and men are nothing to limit our Sweet Lord Christ Jesus, although you people would say that you can limit Him and of course He cannot change sinners hearts because who is God to do such a thing. I have heard enough of this policitcal rangling!

Jesus had no time for politics because He knew policitics is nothing. Christ Jesus is everything. I know that no matter what people have designs on and no matter what political systems have an end to, they are no match for Christ Jesus. Communism knows this and fell and is still falling in other parts of the world. Falling at the feet of the King of the World, one King, Christ Jesus.

You can present any obstacle to me. It is surmountable in prayer.

You who say you pose this problem and that have no faith in God, because God can do anything. He will create the miracle and you of little faith will sink into the water if you try to walk on water.

PRAY!!!

Teresa

For Pete’s sake!

All Governments have some corruption otherwise what sane person would take a political role. What Government of the world is more corrupt than the USA. Power and thirst for it, itself is corrupt.
[/quote]

So you’re saying the US government is no better morally than the brutal dictators of some African countries, who deliberately pursue policies of famine and genocide?

[quote=springbreeze]You miss what I am saying and you miss it because you yourself sit in your house with your family with your 2.5 kids and a car and you do not know poverty that kills you!

You have no idea!
[/quote]

Quite the contrary, my dear. I have lived much of my life overseas – Peru, Egypt, Viet Nam, Korea and Singapore. I have traveled and worked in many other countries and have seen poverty first hand.

I currently live in the poorest Congressional District in the United States (First District of Arkansas) and ran for Congress in '04 – working with many poverty-striken people and groups.

(What are your credentials?)

[quote=springbreeze]You see your taxes and bills and some terrible injustice now and then that is metered out by your so-called justice system, but what you do not recognise is that your system frankly exists on the back of others.
[/quote]

What is “my” system, and how does it exist on the back of which others?

[quote=springbreeze]I am telling you, tonight I made a reasonable plea for prayer to end poverty that kills people and that is possible because it is a matter that is falling on the table before the most powerful Governments of the world, whether they are corrupt or not.
[/quote]

No one objects to prayer.

What we object to is when you attack the rest of us with wild statements like:

You see your taxes and bills and some terrible injustice now and then that is metered out by your so-called justice system, but what you do not recognise is that your system frankly exists on the back of others.

[quote=springbreeze]That prayer you may or may not choose to say and you in your finite wisdom are not able to adequately predict what God will do with your prayer.
[/quote]

You, on the other hand, have infinite wisdom and DO know what God will do?

[quote=springbreeze]Such a carry on as I have seen on these threads I have formed tonight is not what I expect from the Eucharistically joyous and hopeful Christians of Christ Jesus.
[/quote]

Until you started these wild accusations like

I didn’t think I would ever see such things from Eucharistically joyous and hopeful Christians either.

[quote=springbreeze]Personally I think Christ Jesus will and can use many ways to bring about His Kingdom Of Heaven and in such a flawed world where all men are sinners, what hope is there then in me? There is no hope in men. But there is hope in Christ jesus and men are ntohing to limit our Sweet Lord Christ Jesus, although you people would say that you can limit Him and of course He cannot change sinners hearts because who is God to such a thing. I heave heard enough of this policitcal rangling!
[/quote]

You demand we follow your naïve and politically correct position, and attack us because we don’t agree with you?

I see you do think you have infinite wisdom and know the will of God.

[quote=springbreeze]Jesus had no time for politics because He knew policitics is nothing. Christ Jesus is everything. I know that no matter what people have designs on and no matter what political systems have an end to, they are no match for Christ Jesus. Communism knows this and fell and is still falling in other parts of the world. Falling at the feet of the King of the World, one King, Christ Jesus.
[/quote]

When you preach to this, it raises a question in my mind – when were you ordained bishop? Because clearly only a bishop can take this high-handed and condescending approach to the faithful.

[quote=springbreeze]You who say you pose this problem and that have no faith in God, because God can do anything. He will create the miracle and you of little faith will sink into the water if you try to walk on water.
[/quote]

I have faith in God, Springbreeze. I don’t have faith in you.

I will pray God send you the maturity to be humble and not condescend or rail at the rest of us.

[quote=vern humphrey]So you’re saying the US government is no better morally than the brutal dictators of some African countries, who deliberately pursue policies of famine and genocide?

Quite the contrary, my dear. I have lived much of my life overseas – Peru, Egypt, Viet Nam, Korea and Singapore. I have traveled and worked in many other countries and have seen poverty first hand.

I currently live in the poorest Congressional District in the United States (First District of Arkansas) and ran for Congress in '04 – working with many poverty-striken people and groups.

(What are your credentials?)

What is “my” system, and how does it exist on the back of which others?

No one objects to prayer.

What we object to is when you attack the rest of us with wild statements like:

You, on the other hand, have infinite wisdom and DO know what God will do?

Until you started these wild accusations like

I didn’t think I would ever see such things from Eucharistically joyous and hopeful Christians either.

You demand we follow your naïve and politically correct position, and attack us because we don’t agree with you?

I see you do think you have infinite wisdom and know the will of God.

When you preach to this, it raises a question in my mind – when were you ordained bishop? Because clearly only a bishop can take this high-handed and condescending approach to the faithful.

I have faith in God, Springbreeze. I don’t have faith in you.

I will pray God send you the maturity to be humble and not condescend or rail at the rest of us.
[/quote]

If I may add, I pray that Teresa doesn’t fall off her high horse and injure herself.

Dear friends

What is it that comes between you and God to pray for the poor that are dying because of a man-made problem of dying due to such an awful poverty?

All that comes between you and God in this is your ‘self’

What are you worried about? Do you think if you say to God…‘hey I am not sure what those men 8 in number’s motive is presently, but I believe that you God are greater than anything they may have up their sleeve and I believe that you God Almighty can change any heart because you Lord are true Sovereign. I believe that if I ask you, you will grant it, if it is your Holy Will, that Poverty upon this earth that actually takes life, that kills people can be remedied and helped should you, God Almighty set your hand to it and it be your Holy Will’

Whta is wrong with that prayer.

Hypocrits! you proclaim that God is Almighty and you say that you have every confidence in Him, yet you argue over His word, His Scripture and then you would look at details like the faults of men and say this is an obstacle!

Is God not Merciful? Is God not All Powerful? Does not God look to faith asked in the Name of Christ Jesus. Is not anything asked in the name of Christ Jesus granted to the faithful if it is the Father’s Will.

Do as you like I am tired of this argument where people who just desire not to pray because the poor are helpless and will always be there and so what if they die? what concern is it to you? why should you bother and why should we even pray for the powers that be even if St Paul asks us to do so, well forget that because it’s all so impossible because God can’t do anything . No God can only do what we think He can do, we can have a throttle hold on God and restrict Him and no mircale is possible . No Russia will not fall from communism, we shall never have anything but an Italian Pope and we shall never see the Gospel spread through all nations of the earth because of course this all relies on unjust and corrupt men and of course our prayer is words whispered to the wind and nothing can be done with anything. No, we cannot ask for a miracle, we cannot say cure me I am dying, we cannot say any such thing, we cannot ask for the impossible because our faith says it is impossible.

We should remain within the realms of the earthly frame though we apsire to Heaven, we should toil and trouble for no avail and when God asks why did you not ask me for the impossible in human terms, did you not know I am, that I am for all eternity and that I am is possible of all things and can make all things possible, did you not know the infinite bounds of my love and mercy, did you not know even by My forgiveness of your wretched sins that I would do many things if only you would have asked me for them?’

I have asked for your prayer, a work of mercy to the poor that die; and if this is too much for you, well what are you doing being Catholic?

Teresa

[quote=springbreeze]Dear friends

What is it that comes between you and God to pray for the poor that are dying because of a man-made problem of dying due to such an awful poverty?

All that comes between you and God in this is your ‘self’

What are you worried about? Do you think if you say to God…‘hey I am not sure what those men 8 in number’s motive is presently, but I believe that you God are greater than anything they may have up their sleeve and I believe that you God Almighty can change any heart because you Lord are true Sovereign. I believe that if I ask you, you will grant it, if it is your Holy Will, that Poverty upon this earth that actually takes life, that kills people can be remedied and helped should you, God Almighty set your hand to it and it be your Holy Will’

Whta is wrong with that prayer.

Hypocrits! you proclaim that God is Almighty and you say that you have every confidence in Him, yet you argue over His word, His Scripture and then you would look at details like the faults of men and say this is an obstacle!

Is God not Merciful? Is God not All Powerful? Does not God look to faith asked in the Name of Christ Jesus. Is not anything asked in the name of Christ Jesus granted to the faithful if it is the Father’s Will.

Do as you like I am tired of this argument where people who just desire not to pray because the poor are helpless and will always be there and so what if they die? what concern is it to you? why should you bother and why should we even pray for the powers that be even if St Paul asks us to do so, well forget that because it’s all so impossible because God can’t do anything . No God can only do what we think He can do, we can have a throttle hold on God and restrict Him and no mircale is possible . No Russia will not fall from communism, we shall never have anything but an Italian Pope and we shall never see the Gospel spread through all nations of the earth because of course this all relies on unjust and corrupt men and of course our prayer is words whispered to the wind and nothing can be done with anything. No, we cannot ask for a miracle, we cannot say cure me I am dying, we cannot say any such thing, we cannot ask for the impossible because our faith says it is impossible.

We should remain within the realms of the earthly frame though we apsire to Heaven, we should toil and trouble for no avail and when God asks why did you not ask me for the impossible in human terms, did you not know I am, that I am for all eternity and that I am is possible of all things and can make all things possible, did you not know the infinite bounds of my love and mercy, did you not know even by My forgiveness of your wretched sins that I would do many things if only you would have asked me for them?’

I have asked for your prayer, a work of mercy to the poor that die; and if this is too much for you, well what are you doing being Catholic?

Teresa
[/quote]

Teresa,

You don’t get it. We are all praying,we all love God and trust in Him, and we all would like to see poverty end in Africa. You really should learn some charity in dealing with criticism. Calling everyone who disagrees with a particular political cause a hypocrite and insulting large groups of people, is not a very nice way to behave.

I will pray that the G8 conference has a good effect on the world, just as I pray that our leaders will guide our respective countries in postive direction.

Robert

btw…at this point I’m shaking the dust from my sandals and leaving this thread. God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.