Making a flyer for our church. What should I put on it?

I’m making a flyer for our Ukrainian Catholic church’s open house. What would you expect to see on the flyer?

I am looking for responses from Roman Catholics, Protestants, non-Christians, Orthodox and Eastern Catholics… anyone!

Perfect for those in the neighborhood who wonder what our church looks like, for fellow Catholics who’ve heard about us and would like an opportunity to visit, for non-Catholics who want a casual setting to see what we’re about… all are welcome!

Guided tour of the church at 7:00 PM.
Overview of our church including brief explanations of where we fit into Catholicism and Christiandom, what we believe, and how we worship.
Question and answer period from 8-8:30 with refreshments.

How about a nice Russian Cross? That would get plenty 'o Orthodox and ECs, maybe some RCs and some High Church protestants. Explain who you are obviously. I told my elderly polish Grandma about the Ruthenian Parish in my are and she said “Well i don’t know how they’re in communion with the Pope…” Let people know you are Catholic, as most Rcs honestly don’t know about the ECCs. The Russian Cross would probably catch the eyes of some Orthodox. Don’t expect too many Jews, Muslims, etc…

Maybe a picture of a DL? Just something that looks abnormal but cool to western Christians. Or an Icon of Christ would work.

Maybe something about how it’s not just for Ukrainians?

When do you need it by? We have like 3 or 4 different fliers at our parish for visitors that provide information about the Ukrainian Church. If there is enough time I might be able to get you an electronic copy of it.

edit-----

Oh, just saw on your sig. I don’t think there’s enough time

Will you tell me the general topics that are covered on your flyers? That would be a big help!

I have a picture of our patronal icon for the front. Now I’m trying to decide what’s important enough to include on the small amount of space inside. I am pretty sure it will include a welcome to everyone from Father, Liturgy times and our website and contact info. I don’t know what else is important enough to put. There are so many possibilities!

Its been a long time since I read them. But in a general sense, it introduces the Ukrainian Church from its origins, to affirmation it is a Catholic Church in communion with Rome, then explains a bit about how and why it has different traditions.

I’d love to see what you end up with yours. I think what you do can and will eventually help us.

If you knew nothing about our church, would this history make you understand or make you more confused? I’m worried that it sounds like a gnostic group claiming patrimony with an underground church no one has ever heard of. I would like to think that most people will recognize Byzantium, but I don’t think that’s a reasonable assumption. Anyone have advice?

Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church History
After Pentecost, the apostles spread across what is now Europe, Northern Africa, the Middle East, and India as they shared the Good News of Jesus Christ’s life-giving death and resurrection. The Apostle Andrew established the Church in Byzantium (later Constantinople, now Istanbul) in A.D. 38.

In A.D. 987, the Great Prince Volodymyr of the Rus’ (near modern-day Ukraine) sent out emissaries to find true religion and bring it back to his people. They went east and west, north and south, and it was when they arrived in Constantinople that they discovered the Byzantine liturgy.

They returned to Kyiv and reported to the Prince what they saw in the great cathedral of Hagia Sophia. “…Then we went on to Greece, and the Greeks led us to the edifices where they worship their God, and we knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth. For on earth there is no such splendor or such beauty, and we are at a loss how to describe it. We know only that God dwells there among men, and their service is fairer than the ceremonies of other nations. For we cannot forget that beauty. Every man, after tasting something sweet, is afterward unwilling to accept that which is bitter, and therefore we cannot dwell longer here.”

The great prince was baptized into the Church and the entire land followed. The people of the Rus’ have maintained their Byzantine traditions and Catholic communion as they’ve spread the Good News around the globe. We join Catholic Christians in Eastern Europe, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Canada, and Italy who trace their Christian patrimony not back through Latin Rome, but back to Kyivan-Rus, and from there to Byzantine Constantinople, then to Jerusalem and Christ.

Just a minor correction, but the spelling should be “Christendom” rather than Christiandom.

:ouch:
Thanks!

What’s the occasion of the open house? Is it oriented toward evangelism primarily?

Well, I think that you’re dealing with a bit of history that folks in the RC could be unaware of – I’d guess that Byzantium and it’s history as the Eastern Roman Empire wouldn’t be as well-known as a Byzantine Catholic (or a historian) would hope for.

IME most RCs see Catholicism as Western European, and that everything else beyond that is lumped in with Orthodoxy (and notions about that are fuzzy).

To someone who knows European & Byzantine Catholic history, that info appears as basic as World History 101. But if you don’t know it, perhaps a course in Remedial World History is needed. I think your info provides that, but I’m on the other side of things.

Yes. Awareness, introduction, accessibility, evangelization. We’re thinking it will develop into a regular place for people to get to know the church and the clergy.

Does it need to be more basic? Or is it accessible to someone who doesn’t know any of it?

Good question. Maybe more basic? The popular notion of Catholicism is that it is entirely based in Rome and not in Constantinople/Byzantium (or Alexandria, Antioch, or Jerusalem). The historical reality that there were Greek-speaking Roman (and Eastern) Catholics is news to many.

It’s a complex historical idea you are trying to convey, and I’m not sure there is a simple way to do it. Still, I think what you’ve provided is rather good.

I’m not sure if you could post this in the more RC-populated parts of CAF in order to get an idea of what works? I’m under the assumption that you’ll probably get more RC than others at your open house. I pray that you are blessed with a good showing tonight! :byzsoc:

Yes, discuss a bit how this Church is in communion with the Pope and is as Catholic as the Roman Catholic Church, while having a distinct Eastern tradition that is the same as the Orthodox has.

I hope Roman Catholics come to learn about us. I also hope there are many more people who are without the sacraments who will come. Protestants, atheists, Hindus, Mormons, Native American spiritualists… I need the text to explain the church to anyone. And to fit in a little pamphlet. It’s harder than it appears!

I still think that Protestants, atheists, Hindus etc will have a common view of Catholicism as Roman Catholicism with its practices, church architecture, devotions, Mass, etc.

Good point. Should I cut some of the history to include an explanation of communion?

One page has a brief explanation of liturgy, architecture, iconography, and prayers. One has a welcome and an explanation of why we’re Eastern Catholics, that being our relationship with Christ. This page is where I have room for putting everything else.

I started a thread on the apologetics board asking for Roman Catholics to give their advice. I got a helpful critique and re-wrote it. This takes up the full space allotment. Further critiques are welcomed!

I don’t like wording it as Byzantine traditions as if we are Roman Catholics with funny hats, but I fear that anything more explanatory would be tedious and I don’t have the room for that. Any suggestions on how I can re-word that part?

After Pentecost, the apostles went out to share the Good News of Jesus Christ’s life-giving death and resurrection. In A.D. 38, the Apostle Andrew established the Church in Byzantium (later called Constantinople).

Nine-hundred years later and a thousand miles north, the Great Prince Volodymyr of the Rus’ (near modern-day Ukraine) was a convicted pagan with ties to human sacrifice and Christian persecution. When he decided to re-evaluate his beliefs, he sent out emissaries who went east and west, north and south, in search of true religion. It was when they arrived in Constantinople that they discovered the Byzantine Church, which at that time was an Eastern Orthodox Church that was in full communion with the Catholic Church. (The Great Schism which sadly separated east from west took place in the following century.)

The emissaries returned and reported to the prince what they saw in the great cathedral of Hagia Sophia. “…Then we went on to Greece, and the Greeks led us to the edifices where they worship their God, and we knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth. For on earth there is no such splendor or such beauty, and we are at a loss how to describe it. We know only that God dwells there among men, and their service is fairer than the ceremonies of other nations. For we cannot forget that beauty.”

In A.D. 987, the Great Prince was baptized into the Church and the entire land followed. The people of the Rus’ have maintained their unique Byzantine traditions and their communion with the Catholic Church as they’ve spread the Good News around the globe since.

:rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.