Making a Monastery

Howdy,

I'm in the process of meeting with some close friends to determine whether we might be interested in establishing a monastery together in the Benedictine tradition. I think that the application of the Rule of St. Benedict needs to be updated to accommodate the advent of digital communications technology and the like. I also disapprove of several contemporary monasteries' written and unwritten policies that exclude the disabled from seeking membership. Thus, joining an existing monastery would be out of the question, especially since there are no suitable matches nearby.

In case we discern we are actually called by God to go through with this, is there any set protocol my friends and I should follow? What documents do we need to have or to write up? Can we just write up an interpretation/modification of the Rule, move in together, and start living like monks and recruiting people?

Sincerely,
Geoffrey

[quote="Geoffrey_Miller, post:1, topic:334663"]

In case we discern we are actually called by God to go through with this, is there any set protocol my friends and I should follow? What documents do we need to have or to write up? Can we just write up an interpretation/modification of the Rule, move in together, and start living like monks and recruiting people?

[/quote]

Yes. how they get in, how they get out.

your interpretation of the rule

habits can be worn indoors

distinctive garb outdoors

blessings
cloisters

And that's it? Can I just copy some other Congregation's Constitutions, make a few modifications, and go from there? There's not some sort of official channel to go through with the Diocese?

[quote="Geoffrey_Miller, post:3, topic:334663"]
And that's it? Can I just copy some other Congregation's Constitutions, make a few modifications, and go from there? There's not some sort of official channel to go through with the Diocese?

[/quote]

Yes, you can do that.

Send a note to the chancellor that you're doing this.

Responding via smartphone has quirks

sorry for strange answers

blessings
cloisters

I agree with cloisters.

What you are doing initially is considering setting up a Private Association of The Faithful. This is covered in Canon Law and we are quite free to set up private associations of the faithful. Initially, as cloisters pointed out, governance needs to be worked out - also formation once a person joins is very important and in this I am thinking of formation in The Faith (Catholic Catechism for example) and Spiritual Formation and on an ongoing basis. Not absolutely necessary, but I would be searching for a priest chaplain for my private association. His function in one's association also needs to go into one's Rule and statutes if one decides to have an actual chaplain. It does not HAVE to be a priest - but in my personal experience in my own diocese, religious can be pretty off the planet and into all sorts of questionable matters. Not so much our priests, although it can happen.

Heaps of other things too that need to be worked out between the foundation members - lots of groundwork.

Were it me, once I feel I have something to present to my diocesan leadership (Rule of Life however one goes about it), I would send a letter to His Grace with the rule enclosed as that of a private association of the faithful advising His Grace that what is enclosed is a courtesy to his authority as my diocesan leadership and authority - and to advise him of what is taking place in his diocese and why or a short covering letter to the Rule. A little history of what has taken place.

If you Google "catholic - private association of the faithful" you will find heaps of reading matter about forming one. should rather fully inform you on this move.

Canon Law:
Private Association of The Faithful
bbg.org.za/org/cic.htm

What I would also do is once the Rule and statutes etc. etc. are all agreed upon by your group, contact diocesan offices in your dioceses and ask to whom you need to speak (it can differ from diocese to diocese) re a private association of the faithful and what is the proper procedure to advise His Grace as a matter of courtesy of what is taking place. What sort of documentation would be best. If you get a curt reply stating you don't HAVE to advise His Grace - state that you wish to do so in order to keep him informed re his diocese. Then I would just send direct to His Grace what I thought would be appropriate.

And I would not do this until the group had settled on their Rule etc. and had been living the way of life for at least 6 months. It is only a courtesy to His Grace, not a requirement.

Expect plenty of teething problems. Heaps of them! This way if they come along you will not be surprised. If they don't come along, you will also be then most pleasantly surprised remembering to give thanks and praise to The Lord where it belongs.

Expect problems as you go. Our Bishops are under that much stress always in one way or another. Something new and untried can give then a near on anxiety attack. Not always of course, but expect it. Sometimes a Bishop can take it all in its stride, but then opposition can come from all sorts of quarters, even from within your association.

"Take up your cross and come follow me" What an honour to be thus called and we all are but Grace and The Lord are with us every single step of the way in His Indicative and in His Permissive Will. If you don't understand this teaching of The Church, familiarize yourself with it - in these posts into Catholic Discussion sites can provide excellent info and leads, they can also lead one astray, as can Google. Ensure Google info is from sound and reliable sources and this is very important to check out usually in the About facility on any website. And if I can't find anything reliable and soundly Catholic about a site, then I leave it alone.

That is all 'off the top of my head' as I type. Other members might post and be far more helpful than I.:thumbsup:

cloisters.tripod.com/fullertonsociety/

blessings,
cloisters

[quote="Cloisters, post:6, topic:334663"]
cloisters.tripod.com/fullertonsociety/

blessings,
cloisters

[/quote]

Looks like a very important site in the constructing, cloisters. Thank you for posting.
I have long admired your quiet and gentle perseverance in the face of much - may The Lord bless your works for and in Him "Lord, grant success to the work of our hands". Probably it is not persecution that should disturb us, rather the lack of it "They have persecuted Me and they will persecute you":thumbsup:

Psalm 89
"[16] Look upon thy servants and upon their works: and direct their children. And let the brightness of the Lord our God be upon us:
and direct thou the works of our hands over us;
yea, the work of our hands do thou direct.

[quote="TiggerS, post:7, topic:334663"]
Looks like a very important site in the constructing, cloisters. Thank you for posting.
I have long admired your quiet and gentle perseverance in the face of much - may The Lord bless your works for and in Him "Lord, grant success to the work of our hands". Probably it is not persecution that should disturb us, rather the lack of it "They have persecuted Me and they will persecute you":thumbsup:

Psalm 89
"[16] Look upon thy servants and upon their works: and direct their children. And let the brightness of the Lord our God be upon us:
and direct thou the works of our hands over us;
yea, the work of our hands do thou direct.

[/quote]

Thank you.

God be praised!

The site is indeed under construction. I have greater plans for it than what is on there at present.

Blessings,
Cloisters

[quote="Cloisters, post:8, topic:334663"]
Thank you.

God be praised!

The site is indeed under construction. I have greater plans for it than what is on there at present.

Blessings,
Cloisters

[/quote]

:thumbsup:
"Lord (please) grant success to the work of our hands"................"May Thy Willl be done"
Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.