Making a PDF office into a bound book

Hello Everyone!

Im a 3rd order Carmelite who says the old office. I was so lucky that a fellow member sent me a PDF of the 1962 propers for the Carmelite Feast Days. I was wondering if anyone knows a company that will bind this into a book since its easier to pray the office that way. Has anyone every done this before?

God Bless!
Arnold

There are any number of places where you can self publish a book. And I'm pretty sure they can use the PDF. I know they can use word, and you could probably put the PDF into word if absolutely needed.
Lulu is the only one I can think of off hand. But go to Google and put in Self Publish a book and you'll get all kinds of places to check out.

Office Max, etc. Most office stores do this but, if I remember correctly; it is quite pricey for some paper and a binding.

In all likelihood, it would be cheaper to purchase a bound copy!

ICXC NIKA

[quote="gh4, post:2, topic:333304"]
There are any number of places where you can self publish a book. And I'm pretty sure they can use the PDF. I know they can use word, and you could probably put the PDF into word if absolutely needed.
Lulu is the only one I can think of off hand. But go to Google and put in Self Publish a book and you'll get all kinds of places to check out.

[/quote]

Lulu sounds good to me. If you try and go on there to just publish a paperback of like 100 pages its only like 5 bucks. I'm gonna keep that site in mind for me, personally!

God bless!

I have used Cafe Press to publish a cookbook from PDF (for a local charitable organization). For what you are doing, Cafe Press may be too much trouble because you have to set up a listing to offer the book for sale on their website.

It may be easier for you to do it as a one-time job at a local office services provider like Staples, OfficeMax, Office Depot, etc., where they just print, bind, and call you when it's ready.

Beware if they require a paper print as the source for duplication. That results in a lower quality print. With modern equipment, they should be able to print directly from the PDF, just like your home printer. This should render a very high quality print.

You could also contact several local printers and ask them to give you a quote. The cost will depend on the number of copies you require. The general rule: more copies you require, the lesser the cost per copy. Lightning Source is very good company to use.
www1.lightningsource.com/default.aspx

If you only require a few copies, it might be cheaper to simply have it printed and put into a spiral bound or you could have it printed and then placed in a binder.

PDF is a standard format which can be transferred into many different formats. Your best bet is to contact several companies, get your quotes and then compare it with the cost of an already bound book.

Hope this helps,

SG

Over the years I've produced a good number of liturgical booklets for the Divine Office, in particular Latin Vigils (with Gregorian notation) for Monastic Schema B. I have some limited desktop publishing equipment. I bought some nice card stock for the covers, and put them in spiral bindings. It's not fancy but it's functional, cheap and you can reuse the equipment for other projects. I also did a couple of smaller booklets that were staple-bound, again with nice card stock covers (before "Les Heures Grégoriennes came out, I published booklets to chant Sunday 1st and 2nd Vespers of the 4-week LOTH in Latin Gregorian chant).

They were quite fun little projects to keep me occupied during long dark winter evenings. Well not so little. Whenever one starts a "simple" liturgical project one finds it's not really so simple... :eek:

If you go to monasteries you'll often notice that their Divine Office books are spiral-bound home published affairs. I can tell you from long years of chanting/reciting the Divine Office, functionality trumps appearance any day.

I wish i could but i cant find one anywhere!

I was planning on using LuLu im just worried that it might be illegal however there is no copyright on the document itself

You might want to keep in mind Copyright Law. Is the book copyrighted? Is it still under copyright? How much of the work and how many pages are you printing? etc.

[quote="disneyfan1206, post:9, topic:333304"]
I wish i could but i cant find one anywhere!

I was planning on using LuLu im just worried that it might be illegal however there is no copyright on the document itself

[/quote]

Have you tried sites like Ab books or Albris.com? They have harder-to-find books. A lot of their vendors are monasteries and religious communities. I got an awesome set of The Church's Year of Grace by Pius Parsch through Albris.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.