Making Catholic Games Based on life of a Saint

Good day to each and everyone who will be reading this, and thank you in advance :).

I’m planning on creating a platform turn-based strategy game, basing my storyline, but not completely, on the life of a certain Saint, who is also a Pope, named: St. Agatho en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Agatho

my question:

“is it a sin to create games that uses Bible Verses, instead of magic spells, to, not kill, but banish demons from the land or am I just making a big deal about this?”

I’ll be using Bible Verses as substitute to magical spells, and “blessings/prayers” as substitutes to swinging a sword against an enemy demon, and the demons will be attacking physically, I thought about demons using “curses” to attack the main characters, but that would make my game a two way street, a.)teaching Bible Verses and Prayer to rid off demons (symbolizing temptations in everyday lives) and b.)teaching the player to curse, so I decided not to use curses.

also:

"is it a sin if I depict demons using Temptations as substitute for magic spells, ex.) a demon who is attacking could use a skill named: “Lust of the Flesh”, of course I wouldn’t want my game to teach about Lust, but am I making a great sin by animating a picture like this one: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Asmodeus.jpg

It’s a very big challenge to make a good game that teaches about Jesus, without depicting death and suffering, I’m not trying to justify my game, I’m just trying to focus on spreading the Word, so I’m asking you guys here Peace…

GOD LOVES YOU>

[quote="johto760, post:1, topic:217124"]

"is it a sin to create games that uses Bible Verses, instead of magic spells, to, not kill, but banish demons from the land or am I just making a big deal about this?"

[/quote]

Not unless you present the verses as actually being magical incanatations. Throughout history, Christians and Jews have recited the Psalms in times of distress so they are very much a weapon against evil.

There are also sacramentals which are specifically meant for this purpose, but if you use for example the Rosary as a weapon, please depict it in such a way that the sacramental's "power" is shown to derive from prayer. Sacramentals do not have any power of their own and presenting them in that way might be superstitious.

I'll be using Bible Verses as substitute to magical spells, and "blessings/prayers" as substitutes to swinging a sword against an enemy demon, and the demons will be attacking physically, I thought about demons using "curses" to attack the main characters, but that would make my game a two way street, a.)teaching Bible Verses and Prayer to rid off demons (symbolizing temptations in everyday lives) and b.)teaching the player to curse, so I decided not to use curses.

Good call.

"is it a sin if I depict demons using Temptations as substitute for magic spells, ex.) a demon who is attacking could use a skill named: "Lust of the Flesh", of course I wouldn't want my game to teach about Lust, but am I making a great sin by animating a picture like this one: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Asmodeus.jpg

I don't think that would be sinful. Look at how Mel Gibson depicted the devil in the movie The Passion of the Christ.

[quote="Stylites, post:4, topic:208876"]

Without knowing much about the game, the idea that a person can advance in position within the Church is disturbing. An Ordinary is motivated by service and obedience, not advancement and prestige. Perhaps the gold coins to be gained represent treasure stored up in heaven . . . ?

[/quote]

This is FROM: Re: "Priestville" Game on Facebook Thread,

good thing that I browsed some posts made by Good Practicing Catholics before even started development on the game, the quote speaks for it self, an Ordinary is motivated by service and obedience,
in relation to this quote:
"can anyone make some suggestions as to how would the game, also be focused on catholic practices, so as to make visible to players the power of the Church in discerning the truths of the Gospel?"

Is there a Criteria on how a bishop elects a deacon to be a priest? because I was thinking that Agatho would be a deacon first, and before he can banish demons and what not, he needs to be a priest, so knowing the criteria on how a bishop elects priest will help to make it more truthful right? ^_^

exorcisms/banishing demons should be sanction by the pope first before it can be performed right? so is it wrong to integrate the concept of getting a permission first from a POPE, then if the Faith Level of the Priest is high enough, the Pope will sanction the exorcism, any suggestions to this is deeply appreciated, ^_^

• And also, I would like to integrate the concept of going to Mass to receive the Holy Eucharist regularly, in order to gain more faith Points(Experience Points in some other games) I was thinking of incorporating a series of actions that will teach the player about properly participating in Mass, more suggestions about proper behavior and ethics during every part of the Mass will again be very much appreciated, or someone could just lead me to some resource where I could read about Ethics in going to a catholic mass or something...

Thanks in advance...

GOD LOVES YOU>

[quote="Cat_Herder, post:2, topic:217124"]
Not unless you present the verses as actually being magical incanatations. Throughout history, Christians and Jews have recited the Psalms in times of distress so they are very much a weapon against evil.

There are also sacramentals which are specifically meant for this purpose, but if you use for example the Rosary as a weapon, please depict it in such a way that the sacramental's "power" is shown to derive from prayer. Sacramentals do not have any power of their own and presenting them in that way might be superstitious.

Good call.

I don't think that would be sinful. Look at how Mel Gibson depicted the devil in the movie The Passion of the Christ.

[/quote]

Thanks For your Time, deeply appreciate it,

what about calling upon the arch-angels like Gabriel, Uriel etc., when a player calls upon an angel, the Angel (this happens in the spiritual realm right?) called upon will descend from the skies and speaks a message derived from the bible like say: "Gabriel is sent by God to give Mary a special message. she shall bring forth a son, and shall call His Name JESUS" Luke 1 :26 - 38, can I make an animation where Gabriel is holding a flower like this pic:google.com.ph/imglanding?q=gabriel+visits+mary&um=1&hl=tl&sa=N&rlz=1C1_____enPH389PH389&biw=1280&bih=685&tbs=isch:1&tbnid=x0KBfWSInK6_GM:&imgrefurl=http://www.jillstanek.com/2008/12/merry-christmas/&imgurl=http://www.jillstanek.com/gabriel%252520visits%252520mary.jpg&zoom=1&w=300&h=296&iact=hc&ei=pgLDTM3eIIa0vgPfsvyhCA&oei=pgLDTM3eIIa0vgPfsvyhCA&esq=1&page=1&tbnh=127&tbnw=129&start=0&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

then a blinding light will cover the screen?

about this quote, when a player uses a Bible Verse, there will be an animation that comes along with it, say the Bible Verse will say:
"Happy is the man who doesn't give in and do wrong when he is tempted, for afterwards he will get as his reward the crown of life that God has promised those who love him." JAMES 1 VERSE 12"
can I put an animation that depicts Agatho putting up a cross with a crown, google.com.ph/imglanding?q=crown+of+life&um=1&hl=tl&sa=N&rlz=1C1_____enPH389PH389&tbs=isch:1&tbnid=RlwpBayGJ7_lYM:&imgrefurl=http://crownoflifelutheran.org/beliefs/whatiscrown.html&imgurl=http://crownoflifelutheran.org/images/crown_intro_img.jpg&zoom=0&w=383&h=225&iact=hc&ei=vAHDTP6BAoaKvgOx2LHpCA&oei=nQHDTLmVFYPqvQPizKyoCA&esq=4&page=3&tbnh=72&tbnw=123&start=46&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:46&biw=1280&bih=685] and then they will rejoice, throwing confetti all around and jumping around in circles like dancing?

The only thing I’d watch out for is portraying angels as being under the control of the player. In reality, angels are at the command of God and we cannot order them around. There was a recent thread titled “Are guardian angels our servants?” You might want to check that out.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.