Making the Catholic Church look stupid

Having watched the You Tube video (click on link below) it got me wondering how often things have been said or done in history to make the Catholic church look stupid.

youtube.com/watch?v=eOLSlG6uE9E

Does anyone know of any other attempts my influential people to try and make the church look flawed. Apart from the obvious attack of the secular world today. Which I think is the same kind of mentality as the influential people who started the Flat earth Myth.

Does this video cover Roman Catholic sponsored witch hunts?

Never heard of “Roman Catholic witch hunts.” The witch hunts, etc., (Salem, etc.) were by Protestants.

As the time of JESUS return shortens by each new day, the Catholic Church, will by JESUS own words, become the center of profane, insulting, and infamous attacks which will seque into physical attacks upon Catholics.
Do not be surprised that today the Catholic Church is being hit from all sides regardless of the truth, as facts no longer matter - per Bill Clinton in yesterdays new release. But rather prepare your soul to forgive and to be in a steady state of grace. Increase your practice of the faith in prayers and recieving the sacraments so that you can be standing ready with your lamp filled with oil awaiting whatever circumstances the LORD JESUS has determined for you.

[quote="JRPO, post:1, topic:213531"]
Having watched the You Tube video (click on link below) it got me wondering how often things have been said or done in history to make the Catholic church look stupid.

youtube.com/watch?v=eOLSlG6uE9E

Does anyone know of any other attempts my influential people to try and make the church look flawed. Apart from the obvious attack of the secular world today. Which I think is the same kind of mentality as the influential people who started the Flat earth Myth.

[/quote]

Who are these influential people who started the flat earth myth? A little research will show that this view hasn't been prevalent since the late 19th and early 20th century.

Yes the Salem witch trials which convicted 29 people were caused by Puritans in the late 17th century. He's probably referring to witch trials in the early modern period in Europe, in which 40,000-60,000 people were executed. One the primary reasons witch trials were so prevalent was the Malleus Maleficarum (Latin for "The Hammer of Witches") written by an Inquisitor of the Catholic Church in 1486. (source)

[quote="Scoobyshme, post:3, topic:213531"]
Never heard of "Roman Catholic witch hunts." The witch hunts, etc., (Salem, etc.) were by Protestants.

[/quote]

Locke already answered.

but, the Summis desiderantes affectibus by Pope Innocent VIII, which would lead to the Malleus Maleficarum.

So yes, the Roman Catholic witch hunts.

[quote="_Locke, post:5, topic:213531"]

He's probably referring to witch trials in the early modern period in Europe, in which 40,000-60,000 people were executed. One the primary reasons witch trials were so prevalent was the Malleus Maleficarum (Latin for "The Hammer of Witches") written by an Inquisitor of the Catholic Church in 1486. (source)

[/quote]

I had to include that these were authorized by a pope, therefore making them extremely stupid.

[quote="Julian0404, post:4, topic:213531"]
As the time of JESUS return shortens by each new day, the Catholic Church, will by JESUS own words, become the center of profane, insulting, and infamous attacks which will seque into physical attacks upon Catholics.

[/quote]

Can I get a scripture citation?

Do not be surprised that today the Catholic Church is being hit from all sides regardless of the truth, as facts no longer matter - per Bill Clinton in yesterdays new release.

[/quote]

Seeing as the myth of the flat earth dates from the 17th century, "today" is hardly the right word. Although I commend your bunker mentality.

Does anyone know of any other attempts my influential people to try and make the church look flawed.

The Church is flawed. It's composed of flawed human beings and has been from the beginning. Some Church leaders have said and done stupid things. Better to acknowledge as much rather than have our backs up every time somebody on the outside points out the dumb, or even wicked things the Church has done and try to justify them by countering with, "yeah, well the Protestants did this", or "it's the media out to get us".

People who do that really do make the Catholic Church look stupid.

[quote="Pregustator, post:8, topic:213531"]
The Church is flawed. It's composed of flawed human beings and has been from the beginning. Some Church leaders have said and done stupid things. Better to acknowledge as much rather than have our backs up every time somebody on the outside points out the dumb, or even wicked things the Church has done and try to justify them by countering with, "yeah, well the Protestants did this", or "it's the media out to get us".

People who do that really do make the Catholic Church look stupid.

[/quote]

Thats a very good response. Thank you.

Some of these other responses????? There,s some very spiritually immature people here at CAF.

People are always flawed and stupid. (And that’s a lot of ‘stupid’ walking around, in day in and day out, throughout every generation).

“Stupid is as Stupid does.”

:smiley:

It however, doesn’t mean that the Church which Christ founded is flawed.

His Church however, is being run and is filled with flawed people and they all are capable of making stupid decisions.

[quote="Barbkw, post:10, topic:213531"]
His Church however, is being run and is filled with flawed people and they all are capable of making stupid decisions.

[/quote]

Then why would Christ hand the Church over to be lead by a man who persecuted Christians prior to his conversion?

Christ did not hand His Church over to Saul. He made St. Paul, His Apostle to the Gentiles.

Christ’s gave authority of His Church on earth to Simon, when He renamed him “Rock” (in Greek, Peter).

[quote="Barbkw, post:12, topic:213531"]
Christ did not hand His Church over to Saul. He made St. Paul, His Apostle to the Gentiles.

Christ's gave authority of His Church on earth to Simon, when He renamed him "Rock" (in Greek, Peter).

[/quote]

oops :o

Not to sound like a Protestant or anything but does Jesus really talk about two rocks? (Rock n rock)

[quote="_Locke, post:5, topic:213531"]
Who are these influential people who started the flat earth myth? A little research will show that this view hasn't been prevalent since the late 19th and early 20th century.

[/quote]

Source please.

Yes the Salem witch trials which convicted 29 people were caused by Puritans in the late 17th century. He's probably referring to witch trials in the early modern period in Europe, in which 40,000-60,000 people were executed.

You forgot this:

"Over the entire duration of the phenomenon of some four centuries, an estimated total of 40,000 to 60,000 people were executed." - Wikipedia

One the primary reasons witch trials were so prevalent was the Malleus Maleficarum (Latin for "The Hammer of Witches") written by an Inquisitor of the Catholic Church in 1486. (source)

Wow. I haven't read anything so woefully fraught with hate for the Church as your post, in a long time! When did that book come out? 1586 until 1620. Must have had a tremendous influence.

Whew!
God bless
jd

[quote="JDaniel, post:14, topic:213531"]
Source please.

[/quote]

I hyperlinked the word research, but here it is again: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

You forgot this:

"Over the entire duration of the phenomenon of some four centuries, an estimated total of 40,000 to 60,000 people were executed." - Wikipedia

[/quote]

I believe I stated that and linked the article for further reading.

Wow. I haven't read anything so woefully fraught with hate for the Church as your post, in a long time! When did that book come out? 1586 until 1620. Must have had a tremendous influence.

[/quote]

The book was written in 1486 and published in 1487, (once again, as I stated in the post). Also, how am I being hateful? I'm stated things that are true, and citing the sources. They're distasteful, no doubt about that, but historically factual. I'm not trying to make a case or push an agenda, just correcting some previous posters.

I hate to burst Anybody's bubble, but this is not an example of anti-Catholic conspiracy. What it is is an example of how false things we teach children become "common" knowledge. For example there may be people here who believe George Washington chopped down the cherry tree. But that is actually a story made up by Mason Weams; an early 19th century biographer.

The affect of the flat earth story may be in part anti-catholic. But it is probably not the intent. If you want to fight this sort of stupidity support more money for education. Oh and always read to your kids.

[quote="mcteague, post:16, topic:213531"]
I hate to burst Anybody's bubble, but this is not an example of anti-Catholic conspiracy. What it is is an example of how false things we teach children become "common" knowledge. For example there may be people here who believe George Washington chopped down the cherry tree. But that is actually a story made up by Mason Weams; an early 19th century biographer.

The affect of the flat earth story may be in part anti-catholic. But it is probably not the intent. If you want to fight this sort of stupidity support more money for education. Oh and always read to your kids.

[/quote]

Very good. This is the kind of thing I was hoping we would talk about. Thomas wood stated that the flat earth theory was started in the 19th century to make the Catholic church look stupid.

You dont think thats the case?

[quote="_Locke, post:7, topic:213531"]
Can I get a scripture citation?

Yes, the references you seek can be found by reading the 4 Gospels. Some examples of what you will discover will be ". . . if they do this in the greenwood, what will they do in the dry?" "...remember if they hate you, they hated ME first..."

Seeing as the myth of the flat earth dates from the 17th century, "today" is hardly the right word. Although I commend your bunker mentality.

[/quote]

Sorry. I was trying to do a couple of things at one time, and lost track. :blush:

God bless,
jd

Do not be surprised that today the Catholic Church is being hit from all sides regardless of the truth, as facts no longer matter - per Bill Clinton in yesterdays new release. But rather prepare your soul to forgive and to be in a steady state of grace. Increase your practice of the faith in prayers and recieving the sacraments so that you can be standing ready with your lamp filled with oil awaiting whatever circumstances the LORD JESUS has determined for you.

[/quote]

Right on!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.