Malachi Martin

I was listening to an old CA show with Fr. James (an exorcist from New York). talking about exorcism and a woman called up asking about Malachi Martin’s book “Hostage to the Devil”. It tells of five cases of possession in the United States. Fr. James said he has read it and it is accurate, and he also said he knows Mr. Martin.

However, I visited a site about Malachi Martin and he has written books about secret Satanic rituals in the Vatican. He makes a lot of other claims that sound like anti-Catholics make. And he’s a Jesuit priest too!

Anyone know about this? theharrowing.com/martin.html

In Christ,
Rand

Malachi Martin was a Vatican-insider at the time, so he would know what was going on. His book “Rich Church, Poor Church” was voluntarily taken off the market because of death threats against him. “Windswept House” was published when he was later in life and “didn’t care.”

Personally, I don’t trust him.

Your Web site seems to be very anti-Catholic. :mad:

Malachi Martin died in 1999. EWTN has a blurb on him

ewtn.com/expert/expertfaqframe.asp?source=/vexperts/conference.htm

This is from that site.
" “In 1965, Mr. Martin received a dispensation from all privileges and obligations deriving from his vows as a Jesuit and from priestly ordination.” [Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, 25 June 1997, Prot. N. 04300/65]."

His attacks on the Church is very sad. We should pray for the repose of his soul.

Seee: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=60066&highlight=kathleen

for more current information

We should pray for the repose of all souls. And, more importantly Fr, Martin never attacked the church. He loved it, was angry about abuses and attacks on it from within and left the Jesuits when he felt they had abandoned their rightful role in it.

[quote=challenger] “Rich Church, Poor Church”
[/quote]

That book blew my mind and no matter how many times I reread it, it still is staggering.

RE: Final Conclave-- the speech he puts in the mouth of the elected pope is so wonderful, I take it out just to reread it every once inawhile.

Have you ever read Vicar of Christ,( by Walter Murphy former professor of Law at Princeton) ?-- another one which dazzles the imagination with its imagery. If you haven’t I don’t want to spoil it for you, but it is the fictional account of a man who puts into action much of what Rich church, Poor church talks about.

[quote=HagiaSophia]That book blew my mind and no matter how many times I reread it, it still is staggering.

RE: Final Conclave-- the speech he puts in the mouth of the elected pope is so wonderful, I take it out just to reread it every once inawhile.

Have you ever read Vicar of Christ,( by Walter Murphy former professor of Law at Princeton) ?-- another one which dazzles the imagination with its imagery. If you haven’t I don’t want to spoil it for you, but it is the fictional account of a man who puts into action much of what Rich church, Poor church talks about.
[/quote]

No, I haven’t… and I haven’t actually read “Rich Church, Poor Church.” I’ve only been Catholic for about a year and half, and looking at books like Malachi Martin’s much less than that :smiley: My information on Malachi Martin is from my friend who knew him (my friend knew a lot of people, actually…)

[quote=HagiaSophia]We should pray for the repose of all souls. And, more importantly Fr, Martin never attacked the church. He loved it, was angry about abuses and attacks on it from within and left the Jesuits when he felt they had abandoned their rightful role in it.
[/quote]

Your definition of attack and mine must be different. His books were all attacks.

[quote=Ann Cheryl]Your definition of attack and mine must be different. His books were all attacks.
[/quote]

Non possumus pugnare corpus Christi… only its “cells.”

[quote=HagiaSophia]We should pray for the repose of all souls. And, more importantly Fr, Martin never attacked the church. He loved it, was angry about abuses and attacks on it from within and left the Jesuits when he felt they had abandoned their rightful role in it.
[/quote]

right :yup:

and double right :yup: :yup:

There is a difference between attacking the Church and exposing the wolves within the Church. Malachi Martin, who was an associate of Cardinal Bea and a personal friend of John XXIII was doing the later.

[quote=RSiscoe]There is a difference between attacking the Church and exposing the wolves within the Church. Malachi Martin, who was an associate of Cardinal Bea and a personal friend of John XXIII was doing the later.
[/quote]

:amen: I hope the OP doesn’t read St. Catherine of Siena – talk about “candor” –

[quote=MrS]right :yup:

and double right :yup: :yup:
[/quote]

When I read rsponses like the OP offered, one can only be saddened and recall that famous oration of St. Anthony which says “You, in the miter over there…” :slight_smile:

[quote=challenger] My information on Malachi Martin is from my friend who knew him (my friend knew a lot of people, actually…)
[/quote]

May God rest his soul and grant him eternal peace. He bore much with dignity and reminded me of that scriptural phrase “and she kept these things silently in her heart”.

What has reading these books done for your spirituality and view of the Church? I’m wondering if it harms and scandalizes rather than informs? Your opinion? :confused:

[quote=Jennifer123]What has reading these books done for your spirituality and view of the Church? I’m wondering if it harms and scandalizes rather than informs? Your opinion? :confused:
[/quote]

On the upside ----It has enriched my adult Catholic life tremendously; Fr. Martin’s books, both fiction and non-fiction, have clarified for me the answers to many questions I had and presented JPII to me in a way I never would have thought of without them.

He answered many questions through his characters and helped me go back into the Vatican II period and reread everything Fr. Charles Kelly wrote. I will be grateful for the rest of my life to both of them. Through the two of them I met many new authors,revisited Vatican II with an entire new and expanded understanding and as the new pope has said, “became an adult” Catholic…the truth does indeed make one free and it helps to know the why, the when and the who in today’s church which for me would not have been possible without these men providing the base.

On the downside, both of them made it clear that what you see and what you hear ain’t always what you get…you have to track some of these people from way back when and get a “full picture”.

The one thing they both did was to say “be not afraid” - Christ is with His church and in spite of some of the people working against it from within, there are at its very heart some holy men, carrying with them the authority that Christ gave them who are brave, dedicated, and willing to be martyrs albeit, silently, quietly, unknown and unheralded.

May both of these men rest in peace and when I get to heaven, I want to hug them both and say thank you. They made me a grown up Catholic and reinfected me with their own deep, abiding love for the church and their vocations.

[quote=HagiaSophia]On the upside ----It has enriched my adult Catholic life tremendously; Fr. Martin’s books, both fiction and non-fiction, have clarified for me the answers to many questions I had and presented JPII to me in a way I never would have thought of without them.

He answered many questions through his characters and helped me go back into the Vatican II period and reread everything Fr. Charles Kelly wrote. I will be grateful for the rest of my life to both of them. Through the two of them I met many new authors,revisited Vatican II with an entire new and expanded understanding and as the new pope has said, “became an adult” Catholic…the truth does indeed make one free and it helps to know the why, the when and the who in today’s church which for me would not have been possible without these men providing the base.

On the downside, both of them made it clear that what you see and what you hear ain’t always what you get…you have to track some of these people from way back when and get a “full picture”.

The one thing they both did was to say “be not afraid” - Christ is with His church and in spite of some of the people working against it from within, there are at its very heart some holy men, carrying with them the authority that Christ gave them who are brave, dedicated, and willing to be martyrs albeit, silently, quietly, unknown and unheralded.

May both of these men rest in peace and when I get to heaven, I want to hug them both and say thank you. They made me a grown up Catholic and reinfected me with their own deep, abiding love for the church and their vocations.
[/quote]

Hi HagiaSophia…I haven’t read many of his books…I am hoping to. Must go to the library!

Did you know that he and Fr Gruner were of the same mind? Actually, I think they were friends.

[quote=Shoshana]Did you know that he and Fr Gruner were of the same mind? Actually, I think they were friends.
[/quote]

[/font]

I know nothing of that at all; I do know that Martin was a fervent believer in Fatima so it wouldn’t surprise me to hear that they had met or corresponded.

I don’t know what you plan to get from the library but his work on the Dead Sea Scrolls is a fascinating look at that part of history; his work on exorcism is considered one of the most quoted written on the subject. Rich Church, Poor Church, Decline, and the Jesuits are a liberal education all in themselves.

FWIW, Dr. Martin played a key role in my becoming Catholic. Not only his books, but his personal challenge to me: Fixing me with those obsidian eyes of his he said: “You’re going to have to die Catholic, of course, or you’ll go to Hell!”

Who could resist?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.