Malachy Prophecy

Hello everyone,

I was just surfing the Internet and came across an article about the Malachy Prophecy. I have to say, I found the article to be disturbing. According to this prophecy, which dates back to the 1100s, Benedict XVI will be our last pope before the end of the world. (At least that’s what I got out of it. There might be one more pope after the current one, but that is supposedly disputed.) This article states that Malachy correctly predicted all the popes from his time up until John Paul II. Can anyone help me? Is this a real prophecy? Does the Church believe that Benedict XVI will be the last pope? The article also mentioned severe natural disasters and a time of persecution in which Christians will be killed. Is this true? Are the things contained in this prophecy supposed to happen? I have alot of family and friends who aren’t Christians. I really don’t want the end of the world to be that close because of them. Also, I’m just in the beginning stages of converting to the Catholic faith. This may sound selfish, but I’d like to have alot more years here on earth to enjoy my life and my newfound faith. The idea of a time of great persecution sounds scary, too.

I hope this doesn’t sound silly, but I’d really like to hear from anyone who might know something about this. In case it helps, the link to the article is:

newswithviews.com/Ryter/jon85.htm

G-d bless!

Do a search in this forum on “Malachy.” This has been discussed at length here.

God Bless you:) There are some who ardently believe this and some who do not,even experts argue over the authenticity of it.Because it showed up so much later than the saint who wrote it,but even at that it does seem to be right on:confused: Our new Pope sent an Olive Branch to the Protestants of France:eek: That got my attention back on the prophecy!But in the same breath the best we can do is pray for our loved ones because Jesus wants them in heaven more than we do:) Even prophecys that are true can be changed or delayed with prayer:) I hope I might have helped a little we have to trust God and pray for His will to be done and ptray for those who need Him and don’t know it yet.Oh and welcome Home:)

[quote=Lisa4Catholics] God Bless you:) There are some who ardently believe this and some who do not,even experts argue over the authenticity of it.Because it showed up so much later than the saint who wrote it,but even at that it does seem to be right on:confused: Our new Pope sent an Olive Branch to the Protestants of France:eek: That got my attention back on the prophecy!But in the same breath the best we can do is pray for our loved ones because Jesus wants them in heaven more than we do:) Even prophecys that are true can be changed or delayed with prayer:) I hope I might have helped a little we have to trust God and pray for His will to be done and ptray for those who need Him and don’t know it yet.Oh and welcome Home:)
[/quote]

Thank you for the welcome. It’s good to be home! :slight_smile: And G-d bless you too! The article I read mentioned that some Catholics believe the prophecies and some don’t. If what the article stated is true, the prophecies do seem to have accurately described alot of past popes. That’s what caught my attention, as it did yours. Like I said, this is the first I’ve heard of them. I didn’t know that true prophecies can be changed with prayer, that’s kind of comforting. Yes, I pray for my friends and family every day. It bothers me very much that they’re lost.

Hi, JM, how are you?
In the first place, I don’t believe that there are any silly questions!
I actually don’t know very much about St Malachy, but my understanding is that there is no reason for alarm. There is not any teaching that these “prophecies” are true.
Many people believe that they were a fabrication. In any case, the popes who came before the time of Malachy are described in great detail. Those who come after his time have less detail. Which means, the earlier ones described known facts, while the others were vague. Some people have seen resemblances, but that could be said of anything–look at Nostradamus! (I am not comparing the two men!! Just the writings!!)
One of the priests at EWTN has answered this question at their site. He feels that they are simply a forgery.(If you would like to look over there, their URL is: ewtn.org/ ) They have Q&A under “Faith”.
As far as persecution, I think that this is always a danger. This is nothing new! There have always been enemies of both Christianity & Judaism, who have tried to wipe out all who believe in the one true God. I believe that the best thing we can do is to pray for our world, especially pray the rosary, as it is such apowerful prayer for peace & protection. (And of course, pray for all our friends & family, too!!)
I hope that this helps…Have a great day, & God bless.

[quote=Zooey]Hi, JM, how are you?
In the first place, I don’t believe that there are any silly questions!
I actually don’t know very much about St Malachy, but my understanding is that there is no reason for alarm. There is not any teaching that these “prophecies” are true.
Many people believe that they were a fabrication. In any case, the popes who came before the time of Malachy are described in great detail. Those who come after his time have less detail. Which means, the earlier ones described known facts, while the others were vague. Some people have seen resemblances, but that could be said of anything–look at Nostradamus! (I am not comparing the two men!! Just the writings!!)
One of the priests at EWTN has answered this question at their site. He feels that they are simply a forgery.(If you would like to look over there, their URL is: ewtn.org/ ) They have Q&A under “Faith”.
As far as persecution, I think that this is always a danger. This is nothing new! There have always been enemies of both Christianity & Judaism, who have tried to wipe out all who believe in the one true God. I believe that the best thing we can do is to pray for our world, especially pray the rosary, as it is such apowerful prayer for peace & protection. (And of course, pray for all our friends & family, too!!)
I hope that this helps…Have a great day, & God bless.
[/quote]

Hi Zooey!

Thank you for the link.  I'll check it out.  Also, thank you for answering a question that was foremost on my mind.  I was wondering if the Church accepted these prophecies as being true.  Do you by any chance know where I can read these actual prophecies?  I would like to see just how much detail they go into.  I'm wondering if they're intricately detailed, or written vaguely so the reader can draw any conclusion he or she wants.  (As in the case of Nostradamus' writings.  After reading some of his writings, I'm convinced there's nothing to them.  They're just too vague.  What concerned me though, is that Nostradamus wasn't a Catholic writing prophecies specifically about the Church, though.)  

Thanks for your post.  G-d bless!

I found a couple of sites for you to check out. The first is catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.
This has the actual prophecies (most are :frowning: still in Latin, but it was the first place I found…). As you will see, they are very short…just a couple of words to describe each one. It gives you *some *translated, though.
The other is newadvent.org/cathen/12473a.htm This has a very good article on prophesies. It has links to other information, including some on Malachy.
I will:o try to find another place that has them in English…

I think I have it. Try–

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Just type in "Prophecy of the Popes for more info, & some English translations!!

Now, I just noticed that a lot of :confused: antipopes are included in the list…I :confused: wonder if that might :confused: throw off the numbers??? Anyhow, it is interesting to read–better than me:nerd: translating the whole thing here!!:eek:

Folks,

Several years ago I figured something out about all of these prophecies. If they are true, and all these disasters (culminating with the end of the world) are to come upon us, what are we supposed to do about it? We are supposed to (1) pray a lot, (2) go to church, (3) try to live a life that is pleasing to God, and (4) have confidence that God has everything under control.

If the prophecies are not true, and the end of the world isn’t for another several thousand years, and there aren’t any impending disasters, how are we supposed to live? We should (1) pray a lot, (2) go to church, (3) try to live a life that is pleasing to God, and (4) have confidence that God has everything under control.

So what is the role of these prophecies? I find that they provide many people with greater motivation to do what they are supposed to do. I know that for many years they did that for me. Are they true? I don’t know; I figure that I will wait and see. And in the meantime, I will keep on trying to do what I am supposed to be doing.

• Liberian

[quote=Zooey]I found a couple of sites for you to check out. The first is catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.
[/quote]

:o Oops!!!:o That link is actually:

catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

(I :stuck_out_tongue: forgot to test it last time!!)

[quote=Jew_Man_73]I was just surfing the Internet and came across an article about the Malachy Prophecy. I have to say, I found the article to be disturbing. According to this prophecy, which dates back to the 1100s, Benedict XVI will be our last pope before the end of the world. (At least that’s what I got out of it. There might be one more pope after the current one, but that is supposedly disputed.) This article states that Malachy correctly predicted all the popes from his time up until John Paul II. Can anyone help me? Is this a real prophecy? Does the Church believe that Benedict XVI will be the last pope? The article also mentioned severe natural disasters and a time of persecution in which Christians will be killed. Is this true? Are the things contained in this prophecy supposed to happen?
[/quote]

Good morning Jew_Man_73!

I was reading through the responses to your questions and I didn’t see anyone link to Karl Keating’s last e-letter which discussed the issue. Here it is:
catholic.com/newsletters/kke_050531.asp
Enjoy.
1Cor16:23

jb

well, heres a weirdish article on it, but it does have a gd explanation of some of the popes in English. He just goes crazy at the end with his mad theories. Ignore them.

jpdawson.com/lastpope.html

(Yes, I have been up all night…)
Anyhow…I had mentioned my own idea a while back in another thread on this subject, but here goes: I am a skeptic about this. Why? Because I can’t get past the fact that the “prophecies” were just too late to be “discovered”; and because of the final pope being named “Petrus Romanus”…
Isn’t every pope, in a sense, Petrus Romanus? The pope is always the bishop of Rome. And he serves as the successor to St. Peter. (To me, this is kind of like the old line, “Is the Pope Catholic?”).
I just would find the whole thing a lot more convincing if there were better provenance; if there were more detail (the original Latin is even more terse than the English); & if the final pope were named something a little more believable.
Of course, none of this proves or disproves anything. It is strictly my personal :twocents: . (And, as I say, I have been up all night…). God bless.:wave:

The Malachy prophecies are a load of old malarky.

Hello

I keep an opened mind, but like some other replies, if we keep on doing the right things in this earthly world then we are on the right path.

Prophecies exist today, some are approved and some are not, but they seem to always have the same meaning.

God Bless you.
Saint Andrew.

I was cruising the internet the other day, and found a protestant web site that talks about the prophecies…what I found was another (yawn) so called expert about end times, who was just sure these prophecies fit into his anti catholic scheme of things…

The reason I bring this up, is I found it absolutely hilarious that nowhere in his post did he even mention that Malachi was a Catholic priest. Why do I find this funny? Because he uses catholic things to draw others to anti catholic hatred. He called him a ‘sage’ .

Just thought that was hilarious.

I read somewhere where a Pope whose last name was Peter would be the last Pope and Rome would be burned to the ground and Christians imprisoned and martyred? Anything is possible with how the world is today.

[quote=Liberian]Folks,

Several years ago I figured something out about all of these prophecies. If they are true, and all these disasters (culminating with the end of the world) are to come upon us, what are we supposed to do about it? We are supposed to (1) pray a lot, (2) go to church, (3) try to live a life that is pleasing to God, and (4) have confidence that God has everything under control.

If the prophecies are not true, and the end of the world isn’t for another several thousand years, and there aren’t any impending disasters, how are we supposed to live? We should (1) pray a lot, (2) go to church, (3) try to live a life that is pleasing to God, and (4) have confidence that God has everything under control.

So what is the role of these prophecies? I find that they provide many people with greater motivation to do what they are supposed to do. I know that for many years they did that for me. Are they true? I don’t know; I figure that I will wait and see. And in the meantime, I will keep on trying to do what I am supposed to be doing.

• Liberian
    [/quote]

JM,

I think that the best advice you’ve received is that offered by Liberian above.

As for do I personally think the prophesies are true? No, from what I’ve heard they were “lost” for several centuries after the time of Malachi, and when “found”, the ones that had already passed were very detailed and corresponded quite closely with the recent popes. Those for the future popes were far more vague and could roughly be applied to nearly anyone.

Not everything that someone claims is from a saint or has a relation to the Church is necessarily truth. Truth comes from the Magisterium, and this does not have such a provinance.

Am I positive it’s a fake? No, but as Liberian shows, does it really matter? I think of when Jonah shared the need to repent and God didn’t punish the city as promised. Pray for your family, treat them with respect and the love of Christ, especially during these early days of your conversion, when they’re most likely trying to figure out what’s come over you. Let them see a better you than they’ve known before and you will be doing more than anything else you can towards their salvation.

It takes a long time to become consistant with your conversion, so don’t worry too much when you trip and stumble along the way. You’ll get there.

God Bless,

CARose

Do people seriously discuss those texts outside of grocery store tabloids?

I thought it was clearly established centuries ago that they were forgeries.

1000, 1666, 2000. Malachy…I never understood this consuming preoccupation with Eschatology. :confused:

Pope Paul VI [1953-1968]—“Flos Florum” (Flower of flowers). His reign as pontiff was relatively short—only five years. Real name: Giovanni Battista Montini. Like Pius XII he reached the zenith of power in the Catholic Church through the office of the Vatican Secretary of State. The Conclave of Cardinals elected him Pope in 1963. The coat of arms of the Montini family depicts three fleurs-de-lis. Pope John Paul I [1978-1978 (34 days)]—“DeMedietate lunae” (of the half moon).

Did anyone notice that the article says Pope Paul VI’s reign was only 5 years? Excuse me if I’m wrong but didn’t he reign from 1963-1978 - 15 years?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.