Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane flying to Beijing [flight MH 370]

bbc.com/news/world-asia-26492748

Malaysia Airlines says it has lost contact with a plane travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, with 239 people on board.

The airline said in a statement that flight MH370 disappeared at 02:40 local time on Saturday (18:40 GMT on Friday).

It was expected to land in Beijing at 06:30 (22:30 GMT).

Some additional information on this tragedy:

*A passenger flight carrying 239 people from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing is missing and would likely have run out of fuel, Malaysia Airlines said Saturday.

“At the moment we have no idea where this aircraft is right now,” Malaysia Airlines Vice President of Operations Control Fuad Sharuji said on CNN’s “AC360.”

At the time of its disappearance, the plane was carrying about 7.5 hours of fuel, Sharuji said

“It doesn’t sound very good,” retired American Airlines Capt. Jim Tilmon told CNN’s “AC360.” He noted that the route is mostly overland, which means that there would be plenty of antennae, radar and radios to contact the plane.*
cnn.com/2014/03/07/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane-missing/

Thread in the Prayer Intentions forum:

Pray for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370

Praying for the safety of all.

My prayers are with them also. No turbulence, clear weather, no may-day call. Occurred quick.

Does anyone else find it odd that they still haven’t found the aircraft?

“By early Sunday morning, there was little to go on: no wreckage of the jet, a Boeing 777-200 with 239 people aboard, and other than oil slicks on the surface of the Gulf of Thailand that may have been from a crash, no clue that an accident had even taken place. The airline said the plane, which departed from Kuala Lumpur, had recently passed inspection”

nytimes.com/2014/03/09/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-flight.html?recp=12

I know nothing about the difficulty in locating a downed airline. However, when an Air France jet crashed into the Atlantic few years ago, finding it was very difficult, If I recall correctly, the search took two years.

On the other hand, it was laying in the deep ocean, rather than the much shallower sea which separates Malaysia and Vietnam. Still, I would think that an underwater recovery might take longer than one on land.

I have been following this story since I found out about it on Saturday morning. I really hope that everyone is okay but I have almost no hope for that. I imagine that it crashed.

This crash is a real mystery. Very suspicious that 2 passengers had stolen passports.

I hope they soon find the debris and find some clues to what happened.

My prayers are with the families of those on board.

This part I think there are a good deal of investigators from the around the world helping out. I believe we will hear more about this.

foxnews.com/tech/2014/03/10/real-time-flight-trackers-seek-missing-malaysian-air-flight-370-find-only-holes/

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I don’t believe what we are being told about this flight. Airplane’s crash all the time. They crash in water as well but you find the aircraft within hours. Its 3 days now and they still haven’t found it?

Something stinks.

I have to say that I know very little about aircraft disasters. But a plane seemingly disappearing completely and without trace is very weird nowadays with all the technology that’s around. If it had blown up, you’d think there would be traces of it around that would already have been found. If it had been hijacked and forced to go ‘somewhere’, there aren’t many places a full-sized plane could land, other than an airport, which wouldn’t attract attention. And if such a thing had somehow happened and the local population was being forced to keep quiet - then why?

I hope the plane and all its occupants are found safe and well somewhere, but quite how that’s possible I don’t know :frowning:

The identification of the two passengers in question with illegal passports progressed. One is an Iranian National with apparently no ties to terrorism. He was headed to Germany and when he didn’t arrive his family reached out. He apparently was fleeing Iran. The other they still don’t have anything but a photo.

The time it takes to find the aircraft debris, I don’t think that’s uncommon?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.