Malaysia rejects Christian appeal

Religion of peace strikes again.

Malaysia’s highest court has rejected a Muslim convert’s six-year battle to be legally recognised as a Christian.
A three-judge panel ruled that only the country’s Sharia Court could let Azlina Jailani, now known as Lina Joy, remove the word Islam from her identity card.

Malaysia’s constitution guarantees freedom of worship but says all ethnic Malays are Muslim. Under Sharia law, Muslims are not allowed to convert.

Ms Joy said she should not be bound by that law as she is no longer a Muslim.

Death threats

Malaysia’s Chief Justice Ahmad Fairuz Sheikh Abdul Halim said the panel endorsed legal precedents giving Islamic Sharia courts jurisdiction over cases involving Muslims who want to convert.

About 200 protesters shouted “Allah-o-Akbar” (God is great) outside the court when the ruling was announced.

“You can’t at whim and fancy convert from one religion to another,” Ahmad Fairuz said.

Ms Joy’s case has tested the limits of religious freedom in Malaysia.

She started attending church in 1990 and was baptised in 1998.

In 2000, Ms Joy, 42, went to the High Court after the National Registration Department refused to remove “Islam” from the religion column on her identity card. The court said it was a matter for Sharia courts. Tuesday’s ruling marked the end of her final appeal.

Ms Joy has been disowned by her family and forced to quit her job. She went into hiding last year. A Muslim lawyer who supported her case received death threats.

Sharia courts decide on civil cases involving Malaysian Muslims - nearly 60% of the country’s 26 million people - while ethnic minorities such as Chinese and Indians are governed by civil courts in the multi-racial country.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6703155.stm

It is so sad. Can we support her with letters? Do we know her address? Would it be provident to do so, or make her already tentative position more untenable?

This is what Muslims mean when they claim, “there is no compulsion in Islam.”

Once you’re in you can never get out. Beware, fellow human beings, the devil at work.

Rodrigo Bivar posted:

Re: Malaysia rejects Christian appeal
This is what Muslims mean when they claim, “there is no compulsion in Islam.”

I read the article and if it is to be believed [and I have no reason why not to believe it] then it seems it is not just the State one is up against but also a fanatical society [by any other name 'a lynch mob] who are probably capable of crimes worse than the State.

I must admit the suggestion that ‘there is no compulsion in Islam’ does take on a new meaning. It seems it’s members are free to adopt whatever alternative to Islam they chose providing it is another form of Islam.

Rather like where Christianity was in Europe 1000-years ago. Not much consolation now but probably just a passing phase!

Well you know muslims claim that islam means peace and tolerance. I always question peace and tolerance to who or what.
It is indeed a very sad story here, but let us all pray for the lady in the article that the Lord Jesus may be her strengh in this time of need.

I truly hope the non-fundamentalist-Muslim/Christian/secular/etc underground can get her out, or at the very least to an embassy or other location where she can get asylum. There must be a way, even if that makes her temporarily one of those illegal immigrants so many here dread so much.

Please remember, anywhere and any time there is a cultural minority (economic power being as much a factor as physical or religious orientation), it’s very, very hard. Whether it’s Muslims vs Christians, Christians vs Muslims, Nazis vs Jews, theists vs non-theists, whites vs blacks, men vs women, starbellied Sneetches vs nonstars. Church and State is an ugly combination. Even you Catholics who may have said you’d like to live in a Catholic state…would you really? Wouldn’t you miss the rest of us?

Please, keep in mind that plenty of recent immigrant families left for reasons of worship and ethnicity (many Muslim and non-Muslim Arabs!), and of course, crushing poverty. Just getting here is often an heroic endeavor even now. Are you not called upon to show charity to all, regardless of temporal matters?

In no way do I wish to take away from this woman’s plight, anything but. But, should anyone come your way in need, please at least consider helping however you can, as your conscience permits. Other nations have been kind to American ‘dissidents’ of late, and if you are followers of Jesus, are you not called to follow his teachings beyond those of nations?

I wish her well, in every way.

Maybe this link will interest you, for Peshawar Catholics this is a real danger news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/convert-or-die-pakistani-christians-seek/20070517065609990002
It is so important to understand that rights given must be reciprocated by the muslim community. Thankfully my country India is secular and by and large treats minorities equally.It is also not true that minorities everywhere are treated badly quite often in some countries the treatment is worse than in others.

Ron 21 posted:

let us all pray for the lady in the article that the Lord Jesus may be her strengh in this time of need.

:thumbsup:

Let us add her and those like her, to our daily prayer list. :thumbsup:

hi,

i live just next to malaysia, and would like to let everyone know that this story is indeed true.

the lady in question was “allowed” to appeal to the high court to see if the supreme court or the shariah court was in the position to decide her fate. there were 3 judges, 2 muslim and 1 non-muslim. the verdict was made via a 2 to 1 vote. no prizes for guessing who voted in favor of what.

now that the court has ruled that the shariah court is to decide if she can remove “islam” from her identity card, she has lost all manner of appeal.

the chief justice said, “In short, she cannot, at her own whim, simply enter or leave her religion… She must follow rules.”

that’s what happens when religion and the State are intermixed. let’s all pray that she will not be hurt physically in any way, and that her faith shall stand solid against the persecution.

It’s an interesting approac for Malaysia to take. My denying her apostacy, they avoid having to execute her. While we may see this as harsh… exectution is a lot harsher.

Hi
It is very sad indeed, if she had from her own free will decided to change her religion, then it is neither good for Malaysia nor for the Muslim to hold her back.
A Muslim is whose heart accepts Oneness of Allah and Muhammad as his ProphetMessenger and then one announces that publicly, that is a real Muslim. Now the lady’s heart does not accept both of these things, what use is to hold her forcibly. No use. It is MullahIslam, it has got nothing to do with the RealIslam.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

Stephanut posted:

the chief justice said, “In short, she cannot, at her own whim, simply enter or leave her religion… She must follow rules.”

that’s what happens when religion and the State are intermixed. let’s all pray that she will not be hurt physically in any way, and that her faith shall stand solid against the persecution.

Let us pray for that!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.