Malaysian church attacked amid Allah dispute

A Malaysian church was attacked with firebombs early Monday, police said, escalating tensions in a long-running dispute over the use of the word “Allah” by non-Muslims.

Penang state police chief Abdul Rahim Hanafi said two men on a motorcycle threw Molotov cocktails into the compound of The Assumption Church. No one was injured.

The attack came after unknown people hung a provocative banner outside five Penang churches, including The Assumption, on Sunday. The banner read in English: “Allah is great, Jesus is the son of Allah.”

The churches said they had nothing to do with the banner and that it was put up to create animosity between Muslims and Christians in the majority-Muslim Southeast Asian nation. They complained to police.

The wording of the banner was likely to be highly provocative to Muslims. Hardliners and the government object to the use of “Allah” by Christians, saying that it could confuse Muslims and lead them to convert. Muslims don’t believe Allah had a son.

Read the rest of the article here:

optimum.net/News/AP/Article?fmId=60400592-3Bh

Not that I’m fond of the firebomb part, but Subhanallah (Glory to God)!

I again bring up the imagery of that BRICK WALL between Muslims and Christians
and how the word “ALLAH” is our chisel:hammering: to reach Muslims. It’s a good word,
Allah, and we ought to use it to the Glory of God.

La illaha illallah, wa Issa al*–**Masih ibnallah!
*[size=4](No god except the God, [size=4]and[/size] Jesus Christ is the Son of God!)
[/size]

Allah is just another word for God. Though I still must confess that I’m suspicious of Islam.

It is sad that this banner was put up to provoke Muslims but it is even more sad that the Muslims attacked the churches because of this. The name of the church was Assumption so I imagine it was a Catholic Church. Am I right?

I just realized that people who do not have optonline.net cannot see the news article:

Here is the same article from Yahoo news.

news.yahoo.com/malaysian-church-attacked-amid-allah-dispute-091404924.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.