Malaysian court rules use of 'Allah' exclusive to Muslims

From Reuters:
A Malaysian court ruled on Monday that a Christian newspaper may not use the word “Allah” to refer to God, a landmark decision on an issue that has fanned religious tension and raised questions over minority rights in the mainly Muslim country.

The unanimous decision by three Muslim judges in Malaysia’s appeals court overturned a 2009 ruling by a lower court that allowed the Malay-language version of the newspaper, The Herald, to use the word Allah - as many Christians in Malaysia say has been the case for centuries.

“The usage of the word Allah is not an integral part of the faith in Christianity,” chief judge Mohamed Apandi Ali said in the ruling. “The usage of the word will cause confusion in the community.”

The decision coincides with heightened ethnic and religious tension in Malaysia after a polarizing May election, in which the long-ruling coalition was deserted by urban voters that included a large section of minority ethnic Chinese.

Declaration Nostrae Aetate:

3. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

This is incredibly stupid. “Allah” is simply the Arabic term for God. It is not exclusive to Islam. Arabic-speaking Christians use the term and they should definitely be allowed to do so.

And here I thought it was just the U.S. courts that had lost all touch with good sense…

“Three Mulsim Judges”

… Yeah, I’m sure their deliberation was quite just and unbiased…

“…will cause confusion in the community…,” Meaning that Muslims are
becoming Christians because of Christians using the word “Allah.” Sad
that some Christians in the world HATE the word “Allah.” This is one of
the reasons I practice Dhikr, Remembrance of Allah, in hope that there
will be more Muslims converting to Christianity. Love and use the word
‘‘Allah’’ is my suggestion, thereby opening a channel of communication
for Muslims.

Even better, “Allah” means “THE God,” that there is NO OTHER gOD! :smiley:

The ruling government is trying to portray itself as the defender of the faith by citing that they are doing this to avoid confusion among the Muslim so that they cant convert to Christian. Sadly it only creates tension between the Muslim and Christian community in Malaysia.

Silly really since I for once had never been confused though we had been forced to learn bout the Islam Civilization in school and university. Here in East Malaysia, this is not an issue as the Muslims here are more tolerance.

How so?

The word takes origin from Arab pagans, which WAS associated with other gods.

Not so, “Al-Lah” is a very unique word. We have the names of so many gods from
Arabic Paganism, but not once do we find (so far as I’m aware) the word “Al-Lah.”
Yes, gods like Hubal are called “ilah,” but that’s “god” with a lowercase “g,” as in
A god.”

AL-LAH means “THE God,” “God” prefixed by a more definite article “THE.”

I, having been acquainted with Arabian Paganism am quite sure that
Al-Lah doesn’t appear in the pantheon of any tribe predating Islam.

You are giving the translation of the word which is very obvious, putting on it the “I” letter to become “Ilah” which is different to “Lah” who was worshipped by Pagans as the Moon God, “Al Lah” means “The Moon”.
“Al ilah” means “The God”.

Even Muslims deny that Allah means Al Ilah.

www.muslim.org/islam/allah.htm

NO NO NO !!! :nope:

From my research, that is a big misconception. There is no evidence of a god in
preIslamic Arabia that *Al-Lah *was a Moon God or even meaning The Moon. Go
see the following GOOGLE Translate Page and *listen *to the different words that
are translated in Arabic for Moon: translate.google.com/#en/ar/moon .

And if you wonder about the Star/Crescent symbol of Islam, that did not appear
until the Ottoman Empire, which used it at first as a sign for the Empire, it was
neither the symbol for Islam or Allah when first used.

Where did I say that “Al Ilah” means “The Moon”?
“Al Ilah” means “The God”; I agree with you.

But “Al lah” means “the Moon” ( Lah was the name of the Moon god in pagan period).

Even Muslims say “Allah” is impossible to mean " Al Ilah" it would be a grammatical mistake, and the Quran as they say has no grammatical mistakes!
On the contrary Allah is a unique name unlike “Al Ilah” which is a quality.

Again, there’s no evidence that there was a “Moon God” named “Lah” in ancient Arabia.
Now I see there’s a spelling/romanization issue here, when I type “Al-Lah”, I don’t mean
anything different from Al-llah. Getting back to “Lah”, I urge you again to check out the
Google Translate link I gave you and “listen” to the different Arabic words associated
with the English “Moon.”

Again whether it’s a Moon God or not, " Al lah " isn’t grammatically equally to " Al Ilah".

The first one is a name, the second one is a quality.

Arab Christians didn’t use the word Allah to refer to their God before the Islamisation.

Islam says that God doesn’t have a Name, so Allah is not a name. Al-Lah and
Al-llah are just different spellings. If you provide me with a source to prove me
wrong, I’d be happy to see it**.**

And I don’t know about Arab Christians not using “Allah” prior
to Islam, but I sure know that they didn’t use “Deo” or “Theo,”
what else would they have used?

Actually Islam says God has 99 names.

Those are titles, a little different from Name.

They are called names, whether in english or arabic or any other language!

Among the 99 names , God is called the Exceedingly Compassionate,
the Exceedingly Merciful, the Creator, the Giver of Honor, the All-Wise,
the Way, the Light, the Incomparable
… Muslims don’t consider these
as actual names like Joshua, Matthew, Patrick, etc, but they are titles,
attributes, adjectives that are identified with God. “Allah” is not a name
either, it is a noun, I’m not making this up. It is not my own opinion like
“Those don’t sound like names, they are more…” no, I’m not doing that.

They call them names not qualities, and Allah is no quality as it says by Muslims everywhere and in the site I posted.

Al Ilah is not Al-lah.

The word “name” has many contexts, the “name” I’m referring
to is “Personal Name,” which God in Islam does not have. Al-
so, I didn’t say that “Allah” is a quality, read carefully.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.