Male Catholic w/ illegitimate child

Is it possible for a single male catholic
to become a priest
who has an illegitimate child from his youth
who is in the care of the mother who already now has a husband and family?

First.. To quote a Bishop I once knew "There is no such thing as an illegitimate child, only illegitimate parents"

Second.. What are your responsibilities toward this child? Child support? Visitations? or other responsibilities.. >> If the child were over 18, it would remove this problem, unless you were obligated to pay for his/her higher education...

You will be questioned about this before you are accepted into seminary.. Depending on how you answer will determine if you will be allowed to become a priest.

The term 'illigitmate child' sounds so harmful to the psyche of the child, who is the completely innocent party.

Can you say that you fathered a child out of wedlock back when you yourself were a child? I'm not trying to make it sound better on your behalf, but I cringe for the child being described in this way.

O Mary, Queen of the clergy, pray for us;
obtain for us a number of holy priests

God bless

Contact the vocations director in your dioces and he will let you know if you are eligable to become a priest.

Well, you certainly wouldn’t be the first. St. Augustine shares a similar past with you and he became one of the greatest bishops the world has ever known.

the candidate would first have to discharge his obligations toward the child until he reaches majority. There may be some type of dispensation needed but no it is not a bar to a vocation.

[quote="PattiDay, post:3, topic:224637"]
The term 'illigitmate child' sounds so harmful to the psyche of the child, who is the completely innocent party.

I'm not trying to make it sound better on your behalf, but I cringe for the child being described in this way.

[/quote]

I'm sorry for that.

[quote="PattiDay, post:3, topic:224637"]
O Mary, Queen of the clergy, pray for us;
obtain for us a number of holy priests

God bless

[/quote]

Amen. Thank you.

[quote="ausculta, post:5, topic:224637"]
Well, you certainly wouldn't be the first. St. Augustine shares a similar past with you and he became one of the greatest bishops the world has ever known.

[/quote]

[quote="puzzleannie, post:6, topic:224637"]
the candidate would first have to discharge his obligations toward the child until he reaches majority. There may be some type of dispensation needed but no it is not a bar to a vocation.

[/quote]

Amen. May he intercede and guide me if it's God's will.
“Late have I loved Thee. Lord, make me chaste, but NOW.”

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.