Male Circumcision Benefits Outweigh Risks, CDC says

(Reuters) - The benefits of male circumcision outweigh the risks, according a long awaited draft of federal guidelines from U.S.

December 2, 2014
[%between%](“https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/male-circumcision-benefits-outweigh-risks-cdc-says/&text=Male Circumcision Benefits Outweigh Risks, CDC says”)[=http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/male-circumcision-benefits-outweigh-risks-cdc-says/"]]("http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?p[url)[�tween%](“https://plus.google.com/share?url=http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/male-circumcision-benefits-outweigh-risks-cdc-says/”)%between%

(Reuters) - The benefits of male circumcision outweigh the risks, according a long awaited draft of federal guidelines from U.S. health officials released on Tuesday, which indicate that scientific evidence supports recommending the procedure.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that medically performed male circumcision could help decrease the risk of contracting HIV and several other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) as well as other health problems.
The recommendation, which includes counseling parents of male newborns on the benefits and risks of the procedure, comes at a time when the rate of male circumcision has been decreasing in the United States.
From 1979 through 2010, the national rate of newborn circumcision declined 10 percent to 58 percent, according to the CDC.
The procedure, which has been subject of fierce debate, involves cutting the foreskin around the tip of the penis.
“These recommendations are based on an evaluation of available information on the health risks and benefits associated with high-quality, medically performed male circumcision and were developed to pertain to men and male newborns in the United States,” the document said.
Several studies conducted in Africa indicated that circumcision could help reduce the spread of the virus that causes AIDS.

more: scientificamerican.com/article/male-circumcision-benefits-outweigh-risks-cdc-says/

I believe it. Circumcision isn’t necessary for Christianity anymore, but for health reasons (be they keeping the area clean or for the above reasons) it is still a good idea. That’s true of many of the Mosaic laws that have been done away with by Christ for The Way. For instance, washing your hands.

Just watch the sexual-pleasure fanatics swing into enraged overreaction, though…

ICXC NIKA.

Most of Europe does not circumcise. It is mostly cosmetic. Clean properly, there is no problem.

Boy they are still trying to peddle that myth huh. Yes, let’s just keep cutting off healthy functioning body parts. It makes so much sense. :rolleyes:

If you look at how the CDC botched the Ebola outbreak, it makes sense.

Good post.

If God wanted males to have a foreskin, they would have been born with one. Hey, wait a minute…:mad:

Why do you refer to people who oppose genital cutting as ‘sexual pleasure fanatics’? :shrug:

What is fanatical about believing that everyone is entitled to their original and intact God-designed anatomy? To me that is normal and rational. :slight_smile:

I don’t think people realize that genital cutting removes approximately 50% of the penile skin. Instead of the glans being covered and protected, it is exposed and becomes calloused and desensitized, especially over time. For every male who has been cut and who has experienced any form of sexual dysfunction - or women whose partners are experiencing dysfunction - just take a look at the prominent scar line - and then imagine what might have been.

So do you think that God was doing something wrong to command His people to be circumcised?

This is not an issue for religion. It is a human rights issue. All newborns are entitled to their full bodily integrity. They should not have to endure a violent sexual assault / mutilation.

Huh? Maybe if you’re addicted to… uh, well. (never mind)

No, but the order to circumcise boys surely does a bang up job on the old “if God wanted us to have…” argument. I have always found this to be one of the most inane arguments here. Parents, they are the boss. This, like so many other issues, is no one else’s business.

I think this kind of over-the-top extreme rhetoric doesn’t help your cause. I have never felt that I was, in any way, shape, manner, or form, sexually assaulted. There are people who are violently sexually assaulted everyday, and infant male circumcision pales compared to that.

Jon

Really? Have you read any of the rhetoric that anti-abortion forum posters have routinely used?

I completely understand why you feel that way. Cognitive dissonance is very difficult to overcome.

No, Jon, it really doesn’t.

Yes, and God never commanded abortion. He commanded circumcision. And since human rights originate from God, and that God does not contradict himself, we can see that this issue is not a violation of human rights.

No haircuts or shaving either, then?

And most of Europe boasts a longer lifespan than the U.S.

I don’t think that’s the point.

=Mulligan2;12547665]Really? Have you read any of the rhetoric that anti-abortion forum posters have routinely used?

While I am adamantly pro-life, I would say you are correct, that some are rhetorically over the top. And I know you are not comparing circumcision to abortion.

I completely understand why you feel that way. Cognitive dissonance is very difficult to overcome.

:confused:

No, Jon, it really doesn’t.

Sure it does. My circumcision cannot be compared in any way to the victims of, say, Jerry Sandusky.

Jon

Is this correlative, or causative? If you say causative, please link a source.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.