Male, pale and stale university professors to be given 'reverse mentors'

Great! The idiocy that is pervasive in the humanities, arts and social sciences is metastasizing and spreading to the STEM field.

The idea that we should prioritize a racial viewpoint on, who knows, maybe even organic chemistry, over somebody who is adept at understanding how to convey a difficult concept, is preposterous, just at an educational level.

I think it would be entertaining to watch an unqualified SJW teach organic chemistry. Or better, quantum chemistry. Just don’t correct all the mistakes because you might end up being sued for discrimination or something.

Looks like pale females are on the outs too.

“Under the project, white men in senior academic posts will be assigned a junior female colleague from an ethnic minority as a mentor.”

That red-herring is not what the article on the OP talks about at all.
The article is about a program to help combat implicit bias - a well-documented phenomenon that needs to be addressed.

“Wrong thought” cannot be allowed to pollute the open and tolerant environment of the academy.

Some thoughts are wrong.
Have you looked at the literature on implicit bias? I am happy to recommend a bit of reading for you:

Then why do women get college degrees at a significantly higher rate than men?

Have you? Because it certinally does not say only white men have implicent biases, it says “we have all got it” as mentioned in the article. Now why are only white men being targeted for these mentors to combat implicit bias? I would be willing to bet the reason is not implicit, but explicit bias against that group of individuals.

I am very familiar with the literature on implicit bias and on programs to mitigate it.

In no post have I endorsed the program in the OP; why are you asking me this question?

Then why do ducks have webbed feet?

Why do women apply for engineering degrees at only about 1/3 the rate of of men?

I mis-spoke:

“In the U.S., about 18 percent to 20 percent of engineering students are now women, an improvement over the abysmal numbers of 25 years ago,” says Joanne McGrath Cohoon, an associate professor in the Department of Science, Technology, and Society at the University of Virginia, where 31% of undergraduate engineering …

Maybe fewer women are on the autism/Asperger’s scale. Most engineers are somewhere on that scale. 60% I think is the percentage.

Incredible. Literally. Do you have a source for that statistic?

Why do you think this relevant?
Did you read the PNAS article?

Ditto. …

Should be 50%.

No.

You can’t negotiate with numbers.

[Well, you CAN, but the outcome is TERRIBLE!]

Why do you think that that is relevant to this thread?

50% versus 20%.

Come-on, get serious.

Seriously. What is you point?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.