Mall kiosk challenged for selling 'electronic cigarettes'

Anti-smoking activists are pushing Jordan Creek Town Center managers to evict a kiosk selling “electronic cigarettes.”

The battery-operated devices contain no tobacco, and they don’t emit smoke, but activists worry they will lure young people into inhaling noxious fumes.

It offers small white-and-tan devices that look like cigarettes. Instead of tobacco smoke, they give off a heated vapor containing nicotine, which is the most addictive part of cigarettes.

desmoinesregister.com/article/20090802/NEWS/908020331

Apparently, these devices come in flavors such as chocolate, strawberry, vanilla and mint. There is concern that this will increase appeal among minors, although the vendor claims not to sell to minors.

These devices are apparently unregulated.

"The FDA is concerned about the safety of these products and how they are marketed to the public,” says Margaret A. Hamburg, M.D., commissioner of food and drugs.

The agency is concerned that

* e-cigarettes can increase nicotine addiction among young people and may lead kids to try other tobacco products, including conventional cigarettes, which are known to cause disease and lead to premature death
* the products may contain ingredients that are known to be toxic to humans
* because clinical studies about the safety and efficacy of these products for their intended use have not been submitted to FDA, consumers currently have no way of knowing 1) whether e-cigarettes are safe for their intended use, or 2) about what types or concentrations of potentially harmful chemicals or what dose of nicotine they are inhaling when they use these products.

fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm173401.htm

So… should such devices be offered for sale without government regulation? Where is the line drawn between an individual’s responsibility for safety and a government’s interest in protecting the public?

Yes, the FDA should regulate this especially since the devices contain cancer-causing chemicals and other toxins and haven’t been tested for safety.

Ah, human ingenuity!
If only we could use our powers for good.

An electronic cigarette contains a packet of nicotine diluted with common chemicals even nonsmokers consume on a daily basis.

Aren’t they regulated by the same means tobacco is in any given state?
And, in my city a regular pack of cigs is over 7 dollars a pack. Thank you Mayor Daley. Good Catholic.:mad:

What does Daley have to do with the price of cigs?
What does him being Catholic have to do with the price of cigs?

I think Cigs should be at least $20 a pack. :shrug: Think of the tax revenue!! :thumbsup: (and it might make others quit, thereby cleaning up the air for the rest of us!) :smiley: ((I really don’t like the smell of smoke…it burns my throat, hurts my eyes, and makes everything stink)).

*Wait, there are anti-smoking activist groups? I wonder if there exists one in Tampa area…I want to join this…I loathe smoking. *

And let’s make gasoline $50/gallon!
Get rid of that nasty pollution, people would walk and ride bikes more and get healthier, no more traffic jams :smiley:

I hope the activists are successful. I quit smoking 1 week and 6 hours ago. I now hate the habit and am so glad that I have so far successfully kicked the habit. That said, I do not judge people who do smoke even though I pray that they would quit smoking. Our bodies are temples of the Lord and we should treat them as such. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.