Mamas and Papas - their child, rock n' roll, drugs and incest

I think this story is important because Michelle Phillips was the child star of a famous 60’s band -the “Mamas and Papas”. They made a great deal of money.

Now she has written a book, been on Opray’s to talk about how her dad gave her cocaine as a teen and rape her while in a drug blackout and how she consented to sex with her dad, John Phillips, for 10 years.

She tells how Mick Jagger told her how he’d been looking at her since age 10 but they did get together at age 18 in her bathroom while her dad banged on the door.

What struck me is how she forgives her father and tells him on his death bed that she would not be the women she is if not for him. I take this to mean the because of her “famous family” she has also been famous and I guess that trumpets everything else that has happened.

Now I understand more about the liberal mindset.

I think you mean Mackenzie Phillips, Michelle was her stepmom. Today’s news reports have her 2 stepmothers denying the report. :shrug:

Also, I am not sure what it has to do with being liberal or conservative. The story has to do with being depraved.

Do you have a news article or other website that presents the story you are referring to?

I dont put much stock in allegations made against dead people by people trying to sell a book. I have even less confidence when such allegations are first revealed on “Ophra”

It appears you have a problem with her forgiving her father? Is that correct?

Aren’t we as Christians supposed to forgive? In fact doesn’t Jesus say that we are to forgive so that we will be forgiven?

Or am I confused?

I watched bits of the interview on Oprah (as much as I dislike Oprah…this is the first time I have seen her show since I was kid basically) and I will say that I do believe her allegations against her father are true. It is a very sad situation. Incset is probably more common than any of us realize.
We are so lost and pathetic when we turn away from God :frowning:

My heart breaks for her, and yes, I do believe her story to be true.
What a sick man her father must have been and that poor woman was robbed of EVERYTHING a child should have - trust, love and security from her parents.
A few things though kind of jumped out at me.

She aborted the baby who was either the child of her then-husband OR her father. How many other women out there are having abortions to cover up for the incestuous relationships they have been victims to? How can anyone say that an abortion HELPS a woman when in reality it just makes her feel MORE ashamed and helps hide the crimes of the father?

Her father was very open about his drug use and even encouraged it in his children. I find it amazing that people can defend drug use and say that it doesn’t harm children. Yet, time and again we see situations where the parent’s drug use leads to depravity in the parent, and encourages drug use in the child, at an even YOUNGER age than when the parent first tried it.

And she still loves her father. I know women who were beaten to within inches of their lives by husbands, fathers and boyfriends. And they still love them. I don’t know how they do that, but they do. I don’t know though in Ms. Phillip’s case if she ever really came to terms with what her father did to her. Did she forgive him, or is she still in a way denying to herself what really happened?

originally posted** by gelsban**
It appears you have a problem with her forgiving her father? Is that correct?

Aren’t we as Christians supposed to forgive? In fact doesn’t Jesus say that we are to forgive so that we will be forgiven?

Or am I confused?

I saw it on Google News but here is a story on it.

khabrein.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26693&Itemid=70

Thanks it was MacKenzie. I remember her as a child star on a show called “One Day At A Time” and she often appeared drugged. Never liked her show mother Bonnie Franklin because she was prochoice and spoke in favor of it. Valarie Bertenilli(a hot star at that time) played her sister and I believe she currently was instrumental in her telling this story,

I don’t find this difficult to believe at all.

He supplied her with cocaine during her teen years and she tells how, at age 26, on their 250 day tour that she waited each day for Fed-Ex to get her ounce of cocaine delivered. He is certainly not my idea of a parent. She has been a drug addict for most of her life.

As for forgiving him - that may not have been so much as a problem as how she said it.
She said she could not have become the woman she became without him , now that is a bit of craziness. So bringing your child into a life of fame is great no matter what the cost.

originally posted by Mary Gail 36
Also, I am not sure what it has to do with being liberal or conservative. The story has to do with being depraved.

Yes it is depraved. When I speak of liberals in this sense, it is people that have few moral values so anything goes and nothing is sacred. But you are right, you can’t generalize.

And Mick Jagger checking her out since age 10 - that sounds about right.

Christians need to be very careful not to confuse forgiveness for wrongs committed against us versus something more like “Stockholm Syndrome” where the victim develops a fondness for the victimizer without separating him from the wrongs actions he did.

This woman’s words sound troublingly like the latter. :confused:

Deacon…I believe that you misunderstood…gam197 is not being contentious over the forgiveness…but that she [Mackenzie Phillips]…seems to be giving him (her father) a "pat on the back" for what he did to make her who/what she was/is…via the vile treatment he subjected her [Mackenzie Phillips] to as a young girl/daughter. I believe that you would not make forgiveness contingent with acceptance of what someone does to us…especially something so vile as described by Ms. Phillips.

[INDENT]gam197Mamas and Papas - their child, rock n’ roll, drugs and incest

[/INDENT][INDENT]What struck me is how she forgives her father and tells him on his death bed that she would not be the women she is if not for him. I take this to mean the because of her “famous family” she has also been famous and I guess that trumpets everything else that has happened.
[/INDENT]

Lastly, I too am suspect that Mackenzie Phillips’ story is not 100 percent accurate…the whole truth. Nevertheless…she certainly deserves our prayers and charity (for her greatest good in this life…and the one to come…as we all do). She had no real choice in who/what her father and her mother were/lived…and that they imposed it on her…at a very young age. For them, we can pray for their souls and entrust them into God’s merciful love. His love and mercy endures forever…thanks be to God!

Pax Christi

My problem with all this is condemnation of a dead man based on unsubstatiated allegations made AFTER he had died.

One poster said she had watched Ophra for the first time in years to see this interview. Was she spurred, like millions of others, because of the publicty about the shocking revelation she was going to make about her father? If I had been home i might have tuned in myslef!

Does anyone really believe that the book will not sell more copies becuase of the salacious details about her alleged sex life with her father?

I guess I just don’t think someone would be that sick and twisted as to lie about their father raping them to sell books.
I dunno.
I just don’t see someone who loves their father falsely accusing them of rape. :shrug:

In the wake of Mackenzie Phillips’ bombshell allegation that she had an incestuous relationship with her father, her stepmother, Michelle, is accusing her of lying, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“Mackenzie has a lot of mental illness. She’s had a needle stuck up her arm for 35 years. She was arrested for heroin and coke just recently. She did ‘Celebrity Rehab’ and now she writes a book. The whole thing is timed,” Michelle Phillips told Roger Friedman for The Hollywood Reporter’s Showbiz 411 blog.

Michelle was referring to Mackenzie’s memoir, “High on Arrival,” which hit shelves Wednesday and in which she details her incestuous affair with her father and Michelle’s ex-husband, John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas.

Read more: nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/09/24/2009-09-24_mackenzie.html#ixzz0S3WzNAVF

I’m not surprised at all that Michelle Phillips is denying any of this happened.
I’m sure she didn’t know it was happening. What mother in her right mind could allow such a thing? And of course what wife could believe such a thing about her husband? Any wife, unknowing of an incestuous relationship between her daughter and her husband, would most certainly call the daughter a liar.
Obviously I wasn’t there. I don’t know what when on. Maybe Michelle is right. Heavy drugs for 35 years takes a toll on a person’s cognitive abilities. Maybe mackenize is making all of this up.
But you see this kind of scene play out all the time, even in families without drugs. The daughter accuses the father, an uncle, a cousin, a brother, of raping or molesting her and OF COURSE the first reaction of everyone in the family is disbelief. As well it should be. We are disposed to trust family with our children.
Her sister, Chynna believes her. She says Mackenzie told her about this ten years ago. Michelle says Mackenzie told her about it ten years ago, too, but then called her back to say she was joking. Who would make a joke like that? No, I think she called back to say she was joking because she realized how horrified Michelle was. Buyer’s remorse so to speak.
And you see this stuff come out after the person’s dead very often, too. Because the daughter still LOVES her parent. She doesn’t want to hurt him, or disappoint him, even after what he’s done. I know it’s crazy, but it does happen.
Again, Estesbob, maybe you’re right. Maybe she’s lying to sell books, but sheesh, she’s mackenzie phillips. Her REAL LIFE story would be a NYT bestseller!

On that we agree!

Ahh, that make it a little more understandable if it was truly a pat on the back to her father, or was it simply a statement of fact. We are all who we are because of our pasts whether it was from good or bad experiences. Thank you for the clarification, the OP does make a little more sense now.

I hope this does not border on gossip, but she says the it was an “affair” that lasted from when she was 19-29. She was also married for part of this. Both were on heavy drugs. I cannot pretend to understand what drugs can do to a person. The story is sordid, I wish she could have found a less public way to heal. I guess prayers for all involved.

Agreed.
I wonder, though, how private of a healing can someone have who has spent their whole life in public? It just makes me so sad for her.

originally posted by Mary Gail 36
The story is sordid, I wish she could have found a less public way to heal. I guess prayers for all involved.

originally posted by rwillenborg
Agreed.
I wonder, though, how private of a healing can someone have who has spent their whole life in public? It just makes me so sad for her.

Apparently her embarrassed, famous mothers(Michelle) want to sweep Mackenzie back under the rug.

However, she is supposed to be on Oprah’s today, Friday with her half-sister.

I am glad she is telling her story. Sordid as it is, it shows how incest - molestations, rapes can and do occur and how abortion (and the pill) are the solution and then denial.

For those on these forums who are asking who is Mackenzie Phillips? She was a star prodigy(who fizzled) with notoriety similar to Drew Barrymore

There were 4 members of the band - John Phillips, Michelle Phillips, Mama Cass and Denny Doherty.

Denny Doherty’s oldest daughter tells Oprah she knew about it.

express.co.uk/posts/view/130148/Doherty-s-daughter-backs-up-Mackenzie-s-incest-revelation

Just as Andy Rooney, Liz Taylor and Shirley Temple were child prodigies or Drew Barrymore and Macauley Culkin, each generation has their own, and everyone knew that MacKenzie Phillips did drugs at an early age but they didn’t know the details.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.