Mamberti takes over from Burke and Gallagher is Vatican’s new “foreign affairs minister”

Following Parolin’s appointment a year ago, Francis has made another key change to the structure of the Vatican Secretary of State: the current Secretary for Relations with States, Corsican Archbishop Dominique Mamberti, is being promoted as head of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura: he replaces Cardinal Raymond Burke who in turn is being transferred to the Order of the Knights of Malta. Burke himself confirmed his nomination in an interview given during the recent Synod.

vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the-vatican/detail/articolo/37392/

The Holy See Press Office announced on November 8 that Pope Francis has named Archbishop Dominique Mamberti, the Vatican’s Secretary for Relations with States, as the prefect of the …

More…

vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the-vatican/detail/articolo/37392/

This just showed up on Yahoo news. I don’t know if this story is “spin”, and I don’t know the name of The Holy See’s “Supreme Court”, but apparently Cardinal Burke has been removed from it. Isn’t he highly regarded? This seems strange to me.

news.yahoo.com/hard-line-us-cardinal-loses-another-vatican-job-131111993.html

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Cardinal_Raymond_Burke_departs_the_Vaticans_Synod_Hall_after_a_session_of_the_Synod_on_the_Family_on_Oct_13_2014_Credit_Bohumil_Petrik_CNA_2_CNA_10_14_14.jpgVatican City, Nov 8, 2014 / 08:08 am (CNA/EWTN News).- After six years serving as prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura, Cardinal Raymond Burke has been appointed as patron of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta.

Cardinal Burke, 66, confirmed publicly in an interview with Buzzfeed published Oct. 17 that Pope Francis was removing him as prefect of the Apostolic Signatura. The American prelate was appointed to the position in 2008 by Benedict XVI.

Archbishop Dominique Mamberti has been appointed by the Holy Father as new Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura. The Moroccan archbishop has until now been serving as Secretary for Relations with States. Archbishop Paul Richard Gallagher of the UK has been appointed in place of Archbishop Mamberti as Secretary for Relations with States.

Pope Francis has also appointed Fr. Chad Zielinski to be bishop of Fairbanks, Alaska, a military chaplain for the nearby Eielson Air Force Base.

Born 1964 in the US State of Michigan, Fr. Zielinski was ordained for the diocese of Gaylord in 1996. Since 2002, he has served as an Air Force chaplain, having been appointed to Eielson military base in 2012.

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/vm7g84hHtKc

Full article…

It’s not spin;

theglobeandmail.com/news/world/pope-demotes-outspoken-american-conservative-cardinal/article21513407/

'Pope Francis on Saturday demoted an outspoken conservative American cardinal who has been highly critical of the pontiff’s reformist leadership of the Roman Catholic Church.

Cardinal Raymond Burke, 66, was removed as head of the Vatican’s highest court and appointed to the ceremonial post of chaplain of the charity group Knights of Malta.’

Well at first glance, both Mamberti and Gallagher seem like pretty non-controversial choices (a quick read through of various news sources, and no one seems to have much of an opinion).

Mamberti, who replaces Burke, was appointed to his previous high-level position by Pope Em Benedict several years ago.

Does anyone know more about either of them?

It is hard for me to understand words as " jobs " , " demoted " , " promoted " when it comes to servants of God who have missions for the benefit of our souls and theirs.And the glory of God.
Maybe our pastors have shared missions.with us to better serve and come closer in love.for God and each other. Whatever, little or big .
Maybe it is just the way.I learnt it , and thats.all.

Here is some info on Archbp Mamberti. From what I can tell he makes a pretty strong defense of religious freedom and natural law, which seems pretty encouraging.

Speaks against Christianophobia:
zenit.org/en/articles/vatican-aide-speaks-out-on-phobias

Address to the UN on religious freedom:
crethiplethi.com/archbishop-dominique-mamberti-addresses-the-general-debate-of-the-66th-session-of-the-general-assembly/united-nations/2011/

Interview on religious freedom:
vatican.va/roman_curia/secretariat_state/2013/documents/rc_seg-st_20130116_liberta-autonomia_en.html

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominique_Mamberti
"At the opening of the UN General Assembly in September 2012, Archbishop Mamberti said that international law is “solidly based upon the dignity and nature of humanity—in other words, upon the natural law.” He called the UN delegates’ attention to the language of the UN Charter and the Universal Declaration on Human Rights, which affirm the importance of the natural law. International law will earn recognition and respect, he said, if it is recognised as protecting every person and nation, not favouring the powerful. “Such will be possible,” he said, “if legislation at the international level is marked by respect for the dignity of the human person, beginning with the centrality of the right to life and to freedom of religion.”

whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-hammer-falls-and-then-some.html?m=1

So does Cardinal Burke still attend the 2015 Synod?

According to catholic-hierarchy.org/ it seems that Burke has served longer than most as his predecessors in the position. The average seems to be 4-6 years.

Cardinal Burke was not elected to lead the Church founded by Jesus Christ…and…through the guidance of the Holy Spirit…so who is he to question the Pope who has the authority of Jesus Christ…

Already a thread on this. See:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=919933

Apostolic succession, by that virtue, he has the privilege to address the Holy Father on maters of faith as did the Apostles to each other. Where Cardinal Burke has, IMHO, made a mistake is that he has done so very publicly and with a great deal of dis-respect shown to the Holy Father.

For example, I do not agree with my direct supervisor on a great number of policies. In public I don’t make derogatory statements against my supervisor and his policies - I would like to keep my position. However, I have the privilege as the Senior Projects Chemist to go to my direct, close the door and respectfully tell him when his train has derailed and I have done so quite often and with some very point-blank words.

Cardinal Burke, should have gone to the Holy Father, closed the door, and had the discussion there… not in the public lime-light.

His new position doesn’t qualify him to go, but he can be picked by the USCCB, or be appointed in a couple of ways. We wont know for sure either way until they announce the list a couple months before the Synod.

Perhaps he has.

Good points.

“Certain media simply want to keep portraying me as living my life as an opponent to Pope Francis,” he said. “I am not at all. I’ve been serving him in the Apostolic Signatura and in other ways I continue to serve him.”

Thank you, Dawnia. I think too many people are putting words in Burke’s mouth that he did not say by the way they are interpreting him as attacking the pope. I think they are doing this to further their own agenda. This isn’t American politics, this is the Catholic church.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.