Man bags

I have become a convert, not in the religious sense, rather a convert to carrying a man bag.

All right, you can stop laughing and jeering now. It is all about stuff. Lots and lots of stuff. Wallet, checkbook, calculator, small flashlight, phone, notepad, pens, compass, eyedrops, etc., etc. It is more stuff than I want to try to jam in my pockets. And pockets seem to be shrinking, even as stuff is waxing.

The man bag is sometimes pointedly called a purse, which must make it a gender issue, as in, “You have issues.”

I think my man bag is a practical solution to a common need for carrying capacity, but some others see it as unmasculine.

Out of my curiosity, I will ask the women here if they have opinions of the manbag

Doesn't bother me.

A few years ago a coworker who is from Scotland carried a beautiful brown leather bag - very classic design. I asked her about it and she said her sister brought it to her husband when she came to visit from Scotland and he wouldn't use it. Apparently in her home country men carry bags with all of the things they need, as you mentioned.

What happened to briefcases?

I always thought the man bag was, depending on your line of work, the brief case, backpack, messenger bag, or lunch bucket (the large red one)
there is always the walmart bag if you get desperate.
having just shopped for a daddy diaper bag for SIL (it even has a spot for his lap top, which is another carrying case we will have add to the list) I will have to update my views (which currently equate male purses with earrings on males, shows my generational bias)

just one question for you converts. How do you find your keys-wallet-phone-pen-checkbook in your purse (the real issue with purses is not gender related it is organizational).

An empty bag will not compromise your masculine image :slight_smile:

However, a bag weighing more than 10% of your body weight will alter your centre of gravity and will result in the inevitable ‘hip swivel’ :frowning:

Not that it would matter much in my case but I, personally, counter my handbag with an equally heavy gym bag :wink:

And as the previous poster pointed out; lots of zippers and pockets. Then the only thing one has to remember is what was in which pocket. A task that women have accomplished effortlessly for the last, oh, many decades. Now it is your turn to show us that you are as good at memory games :smiley:

WARNING: Zippers play havoc with fingernails

I’m speechless.

also you cannot go out shopping with your wife when you are carrying your MB because people will just think you are holding her purse.

and you are going to have to practice in front of a mirror wiping that sheepish look off your face that men get when they do have to hold our purses.

Manbag-kinda metro-sexual

HOWEVER
a briefcase-MANLY
a black plain laptop case-MANLY
a black plain camera case-MANLY

Even if you don't have a laptop or a netbook. Infact the Netbook cases have shoulder straps and look sleek. Use it as a "man bag" and as long as it dosn't bulge funny then it should be good.

I think a man bag is the most practical and common sense thing I’ve ever heard of. Men DO carry a lot of “stuff” at times, and cramming it in pockets is just silly. I wish my husband would carry a man bag, instead he wears this leather bomber jacket CONSTANTLY so he has pockets for everything. He refuses to put things in his trouser pockets (even his wallet) so it all goes in the coat. We call his coat his “man bag”. :rolleyes:

Honestly - men need to totally get over the stigma of carrying a bag and start getting practical.

~Liza

[quote="Magickman, post:1, topic:191598"]
I have become a convert, not in the religious sense, rather a convert to carrying a man bag.
All right, you can stop laughing and jeering now. It is all about stuff. Lots and lots of stuff. Wallet, checkbook, calculator, small flashlight, phone, notepad, pens, compass, eyedrops, etc., etc. It is more stuff than I want to try to jam in my pockets. And pockets seem to be shrinking, even as stuff is waxing.
The man bag is sometimes pointedly called a purse, which must make it a gender issue, as in, "You have issues."
I think my man bag is a practical solution to a common need for carrying capacity, but some others see it as unmasculine.
Out of my curiosity, I will ask the women here if they have opinions of the manbag

[/quote]

:eek: . . . there goes the neighborhood . . . . .

I'd love to see a picture of this 'man bag'. :P
My husband has a lovely laptop case/briefcase that he uses, and also a less lovely, but still thoroughly masculine, book bag for when he needs more room... and his pockets are huge, so most of the time, he stuffs everything he needs in them, much to my chagrin when I try to sit on his lap... :p An iPod/wallet/keys in the bum is not comfy, let me tell you! :o

Have you seen that Geico commercial? Geico lady thought it was a purse, then the wife chimes in and says it’s a European shoulder bag, and the guy says it’s a gift and hints at the wife.

I personally am not a fan of bags.

I am a woman who never carries a purse - have not in years. The last thing I carried was a diaper bag about 13 years ago.

I love pockets!! :thumbsup:

Yes, I thought of this too! Also, the Seinfeld episode where Jerry carries a man bag and just keeps yelling at everyone who gives him funny looks “It’s European!”:stuck_out_tongue:

and what is wrong with the classic pocket protector?

I for one would be glad if DH used the classy tee bags he has been given instead of expecting me to mend the pockets of his golf shorts all the time. Now a golf bag, there is a classic Man Bag

Put down the bag and step away slowly. Forever.

Also, calling it a man bag conjures a completely different image for most people I know.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

So true.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:15, topic:191598"]
and what is wrong with the classic pocket protector?

[/quote]

White plastic.......goes well with the tapes black rimmed glasses.......

Actually, I have an older friend who uses the white pocket protectors. He is an engineer.

[quote="Nec5, post:16, topic:191598"]
Put down the bag and step away slowly. Forever.

Also, calling it a man bag conjures a completely different image for most people I know.

[/quote]

Hahahaha!!! Good one!

My husband carries a "briefcase" (which is technically a "messenger bag" style)... to work, where he needs his "stuff".

You don't need a compass to get around the grocery store (wallet, keys... good to go!)...

You can keep your bag in the car and have relatively quick access to these items when you leave the store (pay for your items before running out in a panic, please.)...

Like many women who at first carry diaper bags 24/7 with their infants... you can do without it for 45 mintues on a shopping trip. ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.