Man charged with murdering Fla. teen says he 'feared for my life'

usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/11/michael-dunn-jordan-davis-trial/5390113/

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The man accused of killing a 17-year-old after a dispute over loud rap music testified Tuesday that he was taunted and felt menaced in the moments before the teen’s death.

But Michael David Dunn, on trial for first-degree murder and three counts of attempted murder, said he drove off from the gas station after firing 10 shots at the SUV in which Jordan Davis was sitting because he didn’t think anyone had been hurt. He didn’t learn that Davis, 17, had been killed until hours later.

Prior to the shooting on Nov. 23, 2012, Dunn said the teens in the SUV he had words with taunted him and “had menacing expressions” after he had asked them to turn down the music. He thought he saw one of them hold something that appeared to be a shotgun.

"I was in fear for my life,’’ Dunn said. "I had never been threatened, let alone with a firearm,’’ Dunn said. “I was incredulous. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and hearing.”

Dunn is white. Davis was black. The case has drawn comparisons to the 2012 shooting death of another black Floridan teen, Trayvon Martin, killed during a struggle with neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. A Florida jury later acquitted Zimmerman of second-degree murder.

I believe this man should be convicted and will be.

I can’t understand why anyone would think shooting at a car, running away, and not calling the police is an appropriate response. We don’t live in the wild west.

It is interesting to me what they do with the headlines. They made it vague enough that it immediately draws the comparison to the Martin/Zimmerman case.

Lets wait and see what the jury decides.

GUILTY!!! Of course, it happened in Florida, so Mr Dunn may be given a medal of honor!

Any attention seeking by the media shouldn’t distract from the case and the deporable actions of the accused.

The guys story does seem rather fishy. How the heck do you claim self defense if after shooting at someone 10 times, they don’t fire back? Is your life really in danger if you can simply drive away?

If nothing else, he should be convicted of stupidity for shooting a fire arm at a gas station :banghead:

It’s gotta stink to be the next “white” dude charged will killing a black teenager in FL after George Zimmerman.

Well stated.

Was there a shotgun pointing at the shooter in the noisy SUV? That is the heart of the manner.

The “troubling points” against the man charged with murder is he never called the cops, so we may never know. He drove off and then had pizza or something. Who does this? Who fires 10 shots at an SUV and then goes off to lunch? Forensics is all they have to go on in this case, that and the police interrogation of all parties involved. Oh and there is a body.

I have to think about the guy who shot someone in a theatre for smacking him in the face with a bag of popcorn. That was just crazy, so is this.

baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/2/11/michael_dunn_trial.html

Dunn told jurors he was in Jacksonville with his fiancee to attend his son’s wedding. He had brought along on the trip his 7-month-old dog, and at one point in testimony he wiped away tears when talking about his fiancee and dog.

Dunn said he and his fiancee went to the convenience store after the wedding for wine and chips. He said he pulled into a spot next to an SUV where music with a “thumping” bass was playing.

“It got really loud,” Dunn said. “My rear view mirror was shaking. My eardrums were vibrating. It was ridiculously loud.”

Dunn said he asked the three men in the SUV to turn down the music and they turned off the music. “I said, ‘Thank you,’” Dunn said. But soon afterward, Dunn said he heard someone in the SUV shouting expletives at him and the word “cracker.” Dunn is white and the teens in the SUV were black.
Dunn said the men in the SUV had “menacing expressions” and he asked the teens if they were talking about him. He said he wanted to de-escalate the situation but he saw a teen in the backseat reach down for something which he slammed into the car door. Dunn said it looked as if the barrel of a shotgun was sticking out the window.

One of the teens stepped out of the SUV, Dunn said, and he felt “this was a clear and present danger.” He reached for his pistol in a glove box.

Had the races been reversed there would not even have been a trial.

God bless this man for defending himself against violent racist thugs.

:rolleyes:

What causes you to unquestioningly accept the testimony of the accused while ignoring evidence?

Do you believe there is a kind of oppression being perpetrated against whites in the FL justice system?

If I was into betting and able to afford it, I’d wager you $10,000 he walks free.

I’m hearing today of how “believable” he sounded on the stand…mix a gullible public with a lack of legal “duty to retreat”, and you have every paranoid, trigger-happy, chemically/cognitively impaired gun owner seeing life-threatening popcorn monsters and “thug music” aficionados around every corner.

Why get out of the car if not to start a violent confrontation? :confused:

Gosh, I hope you are wrong here.

I personally believe that Zimmerman was guilty of something but I do believe that the prosecution did not prove their case.

I see this case as different. The evidence seems clear.

Again, I hope you are wrong.

I hardly think so.

Inquiring minds want to know…:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.