Man charged with setting Houston mosque fire says he was a devout attendee

Remember that Muslim backlash we were all worried about?

A Houston man has been arrested in connection with a suspected arson at a mosque on Christmas Day, but the motive for the crime remains a mystery, with the suspect maintaining he was a regular at the mosque.

A spokeswoman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives confirmed that the suspect, 37-year-old Gary Nathaniel Moore of Houston, was arrested early Wednesday. Moore appeared in court at 7 a.m., spokeswoman Nicole Strong said, and bond was set at $100,000.

According to a charging instrument released by the Harris County District Clerk, Moore told investigators at the scene that he has attended the storefront mosque for five years, coming five times per day to pray seven days per week.

chron.com/houston/article/Federal-officials-arrest-man-in-connection-with-6727623.php

Yes, I heard about this, first when it happened, then, when they said they have CCTV of the incident and now, as has happened before, it was someone who attended.

Why on earth would he set fire to the mosque if he was a regular attendee there?

So that the Mosque could claim victim status from the evil Christian community. Now, of course this news will be buried in the back pages of all the liberal newspapers who trumpeted this story on page 2.

Why would there be a CCTV system in a house of worship in the first place?

Id be fairly upset if I found CCTV at my church ANYWHERE.

I wish we had one at my church. A few years ago people stole some of the original copper gutters and downspouts from our 150 year old Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. The thieves got a few hundred dollars for scrap copper, but replacing them would have cost tens of thousands.

We also have an armed security guard in the sacristy to guard the collection until the end of masses. We live in a fallen world.

He is charged with arson but let’s remember, he is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

:thumbsup:

CCTV outside monitoring the grounds I can understand but the armed guard in the sacristy I would object to.

:nope:

Without knowing much about the case, a bloke who goes to a mosque seven days a week, five times a day is either a complete devotee, or he’s got mental problems.

I suspect there’s some mental issues at stake here.

You can make that same argument about all terrorists.
Perhaps extremist ideology brings out the illness in people?

I am pretty sure the person who phoned in a threat to disrupt Midnight Mass on Christmas would also object. That is when the parishioner who is also a police officer got the job. Very few parishioners even know he is there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.