Man Goes from Heroic Husband to Hammer-Wielding Wife Killer

cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/21/florida.hero.killer/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

*What do you make of this? There seems to be so much domestic violence now in the news. I wonder if this has happened for decades, but because we have 24/7 news, we hear about it more. So sad…I’m praying for the little boy who is now without a daddy (becaue he is in jail forever) and a mommy. :frowning:

Seems odd that it happened shortly after their home burned down. :confused:*

*The plot thickens…

Supposedly, as I read another article…there was suspicion that he burned his own house down…that does sound suspicious to me, also. But, who knows. The fact that he denied killed his wife, and concocted a story that an intruder broke in to the bedroom to expressly bludgeon his wife, and no one else, who happened to be home at the time, makes no sense. Apparently a jury thought so, too.

How sad…what is the matter with people these days?? I will pray for this man, as he sits in jail, and I’ll pray for the baby. So so sad the stories in the news these days. :(*

Crime is historically at a low, but you are correct about the 24/7 news coverage making it worse.

:signofcross:
"For me prayer is a surge of the heart, it is a simple look towards Heaven,
it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy."

• Saint Therese of Lisieux **
    The
    Our
    Father **
    *. . . for the little child . . . so precious in God’s sight . . .
    . . . and the mother’s soul now departed . . . ***

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
+ Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. +
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

. . . :gopray2: . . .
The Memorare
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection,
implored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee,
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.
To thee do I come, before thee I kneel, sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
but in thy mercy
hear and answer them. Amen.
- St. Bernard of Clairvaux

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Blessed Lord +
. . . thank you Blessed Holy Mother Mary+
. . . thank you Blessed Holy Mother Church+

+Lord Have Mercy+[/RIGHT]

I’ve been wishing for a long time that the nat’l media would just let local stories be local. The 24-hr cable networks have to use something for filler so they grab gruesome crimes from around the country which before would only rated (and still only deserve) coverage in the local paper and TV station.

Nancy Grace is all over every child abduction in the country, most recently that poor boy in Idaho who was killed by his mom’s boyfriend. Taking the story national isn’t going to help find the child except perhaps in very rare cases.

But the cumulative effect can’t be good. It certainly makes abduction look like an epidemic and there’s something sick about building your career on such tragedies.

The real problem is that networks are cheap and “journalists” are lazy. Reporting stories like these cost next to nothing and require no effort or talent.

*I hear you. I wonder sometimes about Nancy Grace’s show…but in her defense, her first fiance was murdered, so I think she feels like this is her vocation, or mission in life…so, in that sense, I get what she does. I think she wants the public to be outraged, and not become complacent. Gosh, there seems to be so many acts of violence, that as a society, you sort of become numb to it, you know?

But, you’re right…this case in particular…I mean the headline in yahoo, was smack dab next to Obama’s healthcare situation. This is a tragedy, but I’m failing to see why it should be national news, except maybe it sets a precedent. Maybe the thinking is that by showing that these people are not ‘getting away with their crimes’…on a national level, it might reduce crime? I don’t know, I’m guessing there. *

*didymus, I wasn’t aware of the Idaho case…I looked it up. Oh my gosh, how sad. What is even more mind boggling about that case, is that the mother of the boy, has another child whom she injured severely…and they judge awarded her joint custody again.

When people think that abortion hasn’t caused our justice system to look at children as disposable property…think again. I don’t want to get sidetracked, but I really blame abortion for how little our justice system regards children. Unless the child ends up DEAD, then someone acts…then it is murder. But, parents can beat their kids…and still get custody of them? She fractured her baby’s skull, and was charged like $80 for the fine/ That is maddening. In reading these things though, while they should remain local news, creates a stir in the public, and maybe that is how reform happens.*

Sorry, I have no respect for her.
I don’t know if you remember the Duke basketball players’ case but she had them convicted and was ready to throw the switch personally.
Then it turned out that it was all false accusations an prosecutorial misconduct. Not only didn’t she retract her statements nor apologise, she didn’t even appear on her show that night.

She still says things like, “If he’s innocent, why does he need a lawyer?” I can understand Joe Sixpack making a dumb statement like that but she’s an attorney. Or she was before she turned into a media personality.

Sorry to rant. I used to like her way back when she was on Court TV (when it was Court TV). I think then she was on a mission. Now she’s gone showbiz but I think deep down she still knows better.

[sigh]

As for the Idaho case I said straight off, “It’s the boyfriend or the boyfriend and the mom.” but it’s depressing that was my first thought & even more so I was right.
As for taking local cases national – I dunno. There’s enough right around here to keep my blood boiling and too much coverage might have the opposite effect – “ho-hum, another abduction – what’s for supper?”

I’ve gotten to the point where I just refuse to watch cable news. They do far more harm than good.

She’s been close to being dis-barred a couple of times for prosecutorial misconduct, suspension of tamporing w/ evidence, etc.

*Wow, I honestly hadn’t heard this. I haven’t watched her all that much, since the Casey Anthony situation. Thanks for sharing this with me…

By the way…what did happen to Court TV? I really liked that network. :confused:*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.