Man justified to shoot robber, Hazelwood police say

Man justified to shoot robber, Hazelwood police say
stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/laworder/story/E237DFE6C1F23D468625771B0004520E?OpenDocument
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

HAZELWOOD — A man with a concealed-carry permit appeared to be justified when he shot and killed an armed robber on a street here, police said Wednesday.

Christopher Holland, 20, died grasping a .38-caliber revolver after the confrontation about 8:40 p.m. Tuesday, Police Chief Carl Wolf said. It happened in the 3700 block of Dunn Road, near Cortena Drive.

Investigators will present their findings to the St. Louis County prosecuting attorney’s office for review.

They also will perform ballistics tests to determine whether Holland was the robber who fired shots that missed during a struggle with another street holdup victim nearby the week before.

Wolf said the evidence supports the explanation of a 57-year-old man from the area that he fired Tuesday night after Holland took his wallet at gunpoint and was rifling through it. The robbery victim was not hurt. His name was not disclosed.

“Unluckily, I guess, the deceased picked on the wrong person,” the chief suggested. “When we found him, he was laying on the ground with the gun in his hands and his finger on the trigger.”

Holland lived in the 5700 block of Pamplin Avenue in St. Louis. He died of two gunshot wounds, one in the side and one in the back.

Wolf said there was a spent round in the dead man’s Tiger revolver. It will be checked against a slug recovered from a robbery attempt last week outside the Serenity Circle Apartments, he said. In that incident, a resident was exiting his vehicle when a gunman approached. They struggled, and the robber fired several shots and ran.

Tuesday night’s victim told police he was out for an evening walk and usually carries his .40-caliber Glock semiautomatic pistol because of previous problems with dogs.

He said Holland approached from behind, put a gun to his back and demanded money. As Holland looked in the wallet, its owner pulled his own weapon from its holster and told him to drop his gun and get on the ground. The man told police that Holland started to point his gun at him so he opened fire. Holland ran across the street and fell down a hill, where he died.

His body landed near the front door of Georgia Baker, 78, of the 1300 block of Eagles Way Court. She said she heard something but didn’t think much of it until she saw a man lying outside. “He was laying flat on his back by the time I saw him so I’m assuming he died instantly,” she said.

Baker said she heard three shots but some neighbors said they heard more. She said she did not know the victim or Holland.

Another neighbor, Richard Garger, 71, said, “A lot of the neighbors heard the shots and a few came out.” He added, “I came out about a half-hour later to put the dogs out. There was police all over the place and it was already roped off.”

He said it’s not unusual to hear shots in the area. “The night before, I heard a shotgun blast, which I knew was not a backfire but a shotgun blast,” he explained. Still, he said, "It’s a pretty secure and safe place to live. It’s just one of those things that happened.

“What are the odds that two guys with guns are walking down the street?” Garger asked. “It’s like the old West.”

Sure was lucky the victum didn't live in Chicago or NYC where citizens are not allowed to defend themselves, they call 911 and police make a report or pick up the body.

[quote="stanmaxkolbe, post:2, topic:197584"]
Sure was lucky the victum didn't live in Chicago or NYC where citizens are not allowed to defend themselves, they call 911 and police make a report or pick up the body.

[/quote]

HUA sir. Gotta get my concealed carry permit soon...

FSC

Country singer Josh Thompson has a new song with the lyrics "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son."

That's how we roll in Oklahoma :knight1:

All citizens have the right to protect their own lives or the lives of others - which is consistent with our right to life.

See "Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition" (first printed in the US in March 2000.)

Legitimate self defense, the death penalty, are all covered in the Catechism.
Any Catholic who preaches heresy in opposition to the teachings in the Catechism are wrong.
For Catholics who have not taken the time to read the Catechism, you may be surprised what it contains. These are the REQUIRED beliefs of Catholic Faith and Morals.

(As an aside, you should assume that whatever you read in the media is not all inclusive of all pertainent facts in any given situation. So don't be too judgemental.)

"Well, I had to kill 'im, Judge.....there's just some folks needs killin'."
---The Code of the Hills

Tuesday night's victim told police he was out for an evening walk and usually carries his .40-caliber Glock semiautomatic pistol because of previous problems with dogs.

That's exactly what I carry every night at work; I use Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement ammunition; hollow points, 155 grains with a muzzle velocity of 1195 FPS.

I wish all I needed it for was dogs.... :(

[quote="fidesspescarita, post:3, topic:197584"]
hua sir. Gotta get my concealed carry permit soon...

Fsc

[/quote]

HOOAH! :thumbsup:

[quote="WatchingMedia, post:5, topic:197584"]
All citizens have the right to protect their own lives or the lives of others - which is consistent with our right to life.

See "Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition" (first printed in the US in March 2000.)

Legitimate self defense, the death penalty, are all covered in the Catechism.
Any Catholic who preaches heresy in opposition to the teachings in the Catechism are wrong.
For Catholics who have not taken the time to read the Catechism, you may be surprised what it contains. These are the REQUIRED beliefs of Catholic Faith and Morals.

(As an aside, you should assume that whatever you read in the media is not all inclusive of all pertainent facts in any given situation. So don't be too judgemental.)

[/quote]

I agree with you but:

I will be judgmental on politicians and media hypes like Rosie O’Donnell [who has a carry permit] and can afford armed guards around their property yet want to deny law abiding citizens the right to defend themselves.

Yes I judge them; they’re wrong. Who the heck to do these people think they are?

Someone breaks into my home and I do not have the proper weapons to defend my family—yet these self-righteous people do!

So ok call me judgmental; I believe Jesus knows I’m right on this one. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.