Man Kills Himself after Being Denied Cancer Treatment

By Tim WaggonerEAST SUSSEX, U.K., June 25, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A U.K. man committed suicide after he was denied coverage for a drug that could have prolonged and improved the quality of his life. Alex Baxter, a terminally ill bus driver, was suffering from renal cancer, a common type of…

Full article…

I’ve read Wesley J. Smith’s website, and I’ll be honest that I sincerely thank him for giving me second thoughts about Peter Singer’s approach to bioethics. (Although I still believe utilitarian principles is superior to Catholic morals.) I used to disagree with him about transhumanism, and currently, I simply feel that it is a secular pipedream.

Regarding sunitinib (Sutent) efficacy:

Results
The median progression-free survival was significantly longer in the sunitinib group (11 months) than in the interferon alfa group (5 months), corresponding to a hazard ratio of 0.42 (95% confidence interval, 0.32 to 0.54; P<0.001). Sunitinib was also associated with a higher objective response rate than was interferon alfa (31% vs. 6%, P<0.001). The proportion of patients with grade 3 or 4 treatment-related fatigue was significantly higher in the group treated with interferon alfa, whereas diarrhea was more frequent in the sunitinib group (P<0.05). Patients in the sunitinib group reported a significantly better quality of life than did patients in the interferon alfa group (P<0.001).

Conclusions
Progression-free survival was longer and response rates were higher in patients with metastatic renal-cell cancer who received sunitinib than in those receiving interferon
alfa

content.nejm.org/cgi/reprint/356/2/115.pdf

Not bad as it increased progression free survival to about 6 months compared to alpha-interferon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.