Man says apartment complex called his US flag a ‘threat to Muslim community’

From KHOU-TV:

A Webster man says his apartment complex manager told him his American flag was a “threat to the Muslim community,” and that he has to take it down. But he’s not giving up without a fight.

Stepping onto Duy Tran’s balcony in Webster, one thing is clear: “It means a lot to me,” he said.

He’s talking about his American flag that he proudly put up when he moved in just a few days ago. But then an apartment manager at the Lodge on El Dorado told him he had to take it down.

Also see these items from WGMB (Baton Rouge), WDJT, and News 92 FM.

All the more reason to display the flag.

I could see why they would feel this way. The man does have a right to display the flag though.

How can you see how they’d feel that way? They’re in our freaking country, if they think our flag is threatening then they can GTFO.

well I don’t know what gtfo is, (probably good that I don’t,) but that is completely ridiculous about the flag,…,
however,.
it is possible that we do not know all the details, perhaps there has been a fight in the apt complex, or threats against muslims living there.

American people can get scared (and I don’t blame them, I had a muslim surgeon, who I was uncomfortable with, as a Christian )living near muslim people, because of 911.

The answer to 911 should have been to ask all Islamic people to leave the country
I think, yes it would be religious persecution in a way, but the only way to defend themselves, which I think they should have done.

Would they really feel safer and more free in Iraq, Iran, Libya, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkey, Egypt, Sudan, parts of Nigeria, or any other Muslim controlled country? It would be wrong for us to force them to stay here.

I’m with Duy Tran on this one. Unless there is some explicit clause in his lease (which he signed and would presumable be aware of) that forbids the display of the American flag, I’d leave it right where it is. Let them try to evict him. Let him sue the apartment complex. Let them try to explain to a TEXAS jury why he can’t display the Stars and Stripes.

Pretty soon we’ll have people feeling threatened about a statue of Mary in front of a Catholic Church. :rolleyes:

Peace, Mark

There are some interesting folks in Harris County.

Think about it: the “peers” that make up this jury elect Shiela Jackson-Lee every couple of years.

What I think about this situation would get me banned if I said anything, so I will not say anything.

Linus2nd

Seriously… this sounds like an immigrant (and possibly newly naturalized citizen), showing pride in his new country. It doesn’t sound like any offense is meant toward Muslims at all. He probably is just happy of all the opportunities that he’s able to have here.

Muslims have no reason to feel threatened by the American flag. Tell them to grow up.

Oh boy. And this was in Texas? That manager is about to get an education. I hope somebody can quietly intervene and work this neighbor dispute out peacefully. None of us know the whole story. There may have been words exchanged or threats made that we know nothing about. If soneone were to state that the flag means something specific to them that expresses intolerance or hatred towards others, it could be construed as a way to make threats. Think of rosaries being worn by gang members. I suspect there is more to this.

On the one hand, there is a patriotic American that is non-white. On the other hand, he’s having trouble with Muslims. It’s actually kinda tricky to figure out where you would fall on this one. Tough to tell but I’m gonna guess that you’ll ultimately side against the Muslims?

Depends which Muslims. If some of them had children killed by American bombs or a friend that was sexually assaulted in Abu Gharib then they might not feel so good about the American flag. Still, they’re in the U.S., so what do they expect?

I’m really confused. How is an American Flag a threat to muslims, or jews, or protestants, or catholics, or atheists, Somali’s or anyone else?

It’s nonsense. If you’re a US citizen its the flag of your country and no threat regardless of race, creed, sexual proclivity or heritage. This reminds me of the school in California that won’t allow US flags to be displayed on 5 May-- although all the kids can freely display the flag of Mexico. Guess its nice to know where the allegiance lies for various folks including public officials.

Now, if you are an illegal alien or an immigrant who has no intention of assimilating than I could see how you would want to threaten US citizens. Including attacking their display of the flag.

I agree. I don’t know about anyone else, but I am getting weary of folks, coming from somewhere else, getting “offended” by our show of patriotism. If they are going to be offended, why come? OTOH, I think there are just some people who have to have something to carp about.

He didn’t even speak properly. The flag is not a threat to any Muslim. He probably meant it would offend them (why, exactly?). Threat implies danger. And that is neither here nor there. Unless he signed some covenants that prohibit the flag, this should be a non-debate.

Amazing what people can get away with if they bully the average citizen who may not know any better.

I am not sure any Muslims are actually threatened by the flag. The news article made no mention of it. However, it did say that the man claimed that the apartment manager told him that they would be. It may well be that the apt manager used that as an excuse.

I think the Muslim issue is a red herring. What the real problem would be the terms which are in the lease which the man signed. Even if the lease did forbid displaying flags (not all are American) from the balcony, it would be very poor public relations to enforce that provision against an American flag. I think that is the real issue.

Anyone ask the Muslims if they felt threatened by the flag? I am remind of when our local council (local govt authority for those not familiar with the UK) decided to withdraw all kid’s library books featuring pigs as they might offend Muslims and this area has a high Muslim populace. One small problem, they forget to ask Muslims themselves and one of the most popular kids TV shows in the UK for several years is called Peppa Pig and involves a family of anthromorphic pigs, cue a lot of very grumpy kids of all sorts of backgrounds, including Muslim, when they found out DVDs and books with the character had all magically vanished from the shelves.

On what grounds would it be reasonable or in keeping with the ideals your nation was founded on to ask several million people to leave your nation solely because of their faith? I have no problem with Muslims doctors or nurses, I have had some excellent ones and some poor ones but that’s true for any group in the medical professions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.