Man should not be alone

Gen 2:18-23

The Lord God said: “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a suitable partner for him.” So the Lord formed out of the ground various wild animals and various birds of the air, and He brought them to the man to see what he would call them; whatever the man called them would be its name, but none proved to be a suitable partner for the man.
So the Lord God cast a deep sleep on the man, and while he was asleep, He took out one of his ribs and closed up the place with flesh. The Lord God built up into a woman the rib that He had taken from the man. When He brought her to the man, the man said: 'This one, at last, is bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; this one shall be called woman, for out of her man, this one has been taken."

Eph 5:22

Wives be subject to your husbands, as to the Lord.

Commentary
When we bang these two bible passages together, we find there meaning, and the meaning of the word subject, for in the verses of Genesis, we find the first marriage, for when God has Adam name the animals and woman. He creates the subject of creation, this the same with husbands and wives, for when the wife has her husband name her and her children she creates the subject of family. Here we see the word subject is defined as something dealt in with discussion, study or writing, such as the subject of math, history or spelling. These subjects are necessary if we are to talk about them.

lol, wut?

I don’t quite get what you mean in your commentary. I think you’re saying something about man being the head of woman because he was the first one who was created, and the wife reflects that by letting the husband name their children. Is that right?

Did man name religion too? I wonder :shrug:

Quote:
. . . with husbands and wives, for when the wife has her husband name her and her children she creates the subject of family.

Women do not take the husband’s last name in all countries. They keep their own last name, and the child then has the dad’s 1st surname, and then the mom’s 1st surname. Everyone has two surnames, and no boy is ever a Jr., the II, and so forth.

Don,

I think that your exegetical analysis runs the risk of missing the point, if it quotes Eph 5:22 without including Eph 5:21 – “Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ.”

The subordination, then, isn’t of one gender to the other in an absolute sense, but rather, relative to each other, since the absolute subordination is one that both genders share mutually – an absolute subordination to Christ. In this light, then, the Genesis story tells us that man and woman are ‘flesh of my flesh and bone of my bone’, in a way that makes them ‘helpmates’, as opposed to the stewardship relationship between humanity and animals. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.