Man sues Zondervan to change anti-gay reference in Bible

CASCADE TOWNSHIP – A Canton man is suing Zondervan Publishing and a Tennessee-based publisher, claiming their versions of the Bible that refer to homosexuality as a sin violate his constitutional rights and have caused him emotional pain and mental instability.

mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-42/121560935360960.xml&coll=6

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum

Man sues Zondervan to change anti-gay reference in Bible
Wednesday, July 09, 2008
The Grand Rapids Press

CASCADE TOWNSHIP – A Canton man is suing Zondervan Publishing and a Tennessee-based publisher, claiming their versions of the Bible that refer to homosexuality as a sin violate his constitutional rights and have caused him emotional pain and mental instability.

Bradley LaShawn Fowler, 39, is seeking $60 million from Zondervan, based in Cascade Township, and $10 million from Thomas Nelson Publishing in the lawsuits filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.

Full Story

With some of the Federal judges around here, who knows what will happen :mad:

:rotfl:

Wrong defendant: Zondervan

Wrong venue: Tennessee

**Correct defendant: GOD

Correct venue: HEAVEN**

And so it begins:mad: .

Guess he’ll have to sue every other publisher of Bibles then. I have a Catholic Living Bible that also states that homosexuals will have no share in God’s kingdom. Does he expect each and every Bible publisher to change the wording in the Bibles? The judge in that case really has his work cut out for him!

This is why I suggest as a non-Catholic to all you Catholics who are pro-life to instead of hoping and praying for federal judges who are against Roe v Wade, work and hope for federal judges and justices who are ACLU types … ACLU type judges would never favor changing the Bible or anything like that. It’s time for yall IMO as an outsider to make a strategic compromise. Just my 2 cents.

Mr. Fowler filed his suit in the U.S. He might have had more success if he had done so in Canada. :wink:

His suits seek to violate the First Amendment. They will be tossed out with little fanfare. Note that he couldn’t even find a lawyer to represent him.

No. We would not do that in ancient times and we will not do it now. We would not sacrifice to the pagan gods, and as Tertullian said, “In the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church.”

It should be very, very interesting to see how this pans out. The suit itself is absolutely ridiculous…but in this world, who knows what will happen?

He must not be familiar with ‘separation of church and state’ or is that just when it’s convenient to use?:rolleyes: Honestly…the Bible is now unconstitutional?

I just think that it’s easier for people to attack the Bible, than accept its teachings…and try to change. Changing from sin is hard–all sin–any sin. I don’t think attacking the Bible is going to help me overcome my sin. I just feel so sad for this person.:frowning:

And we all pay for it, unless there is a group of “pro bono” attorneys who will take the case for Zondervan. I wonder how violated rights would be by spending eternity in flames? Who would be devil’s advocate in that case???

I live in Tennessee. I am very surprised that this story has NOT been covered by our local news agencies, either print or video. This should be interesting as there are a great many militantly fundamentalist Christians (protestant) in this area. I suspect this will be kept quiet so as not to alert the local minsters and keep congregations in the dark as to the court proceedings. In that way, this leg of the agenda can be achieved without much of a fight. Thanks for bringing to my attention. I’ll pass it along.

Actually, Zondervan is a rather successful publishing company. They will probably be able to afford a panel of quite capable attorneys. Given the religious demographics of our area, they may not have to pay one red cent for very good attorneys.

they picked the wrong bible publisher to challenge, I don’t see this staunch publisher, coming from the Reformed tradition, backing down.

Were have you been the last 20-30 years?!

I think this all started a long time ago…

:frowning:

this will go nowhere.

foggydawn is of course correct.

Unfortunately, if they get the right “judge” here in Detroit (Canton is right outside of Detroit), it may go farther than it should.

An interesting note. I saw the guy’s picture on another news source that I could not use due to information in the article that we are currently not allowed to talk about. I am sure I have seen him.

In related news, a sick person is suing God for not creating him healthy, a poor person is suing God for not giving him the billion dollars he prayed for, and some high school kid is suing God because he didn’t get the date he wanted for the prom.

If he takes it before Canada’s infamous civil right comissions he would win in a minute.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.