Man vs God

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203440104574405030643556324.html#mod=WSJ_hpp_RIGHTTopCarousel

[quote=The first paragraph]Richard Dawkins has been right all along, of course—at least in one important respect. Evolution has indeed dealt a blow to the idea of a benign creator, literally conceived. It tells us that there is no Intelligence controlling the cosmos, and that life itself is the result of a blind process of natural selection, in which innumerable species failed to survive. The fossil record reveals a natural history of pain, death and racial extinction, so if there was a divine plan, it was cruel, callously prodigal and wasteful. Human beings were not the pinnacle of a purposeful creation; like everything else, they evolved by trial and error and God had no direct hand in their making. No wonder so many fundamentalist Christians find their faith shaken to the core.
[/quote]

Not liking this article AT ALL! What sort of dope wrote this? Well congrats, I’m never buying your paper again. They try to end on a niec note but it doesn’t work.

All of this article is built on assumptions! I’m no philosopher or logical fallacy-expert, but if I were I’d tear this thing to shreds in seconds. How depressing it must be to think like this.

“The fossil record reveals a natural history of pain, death and racial extinction, so if there was a divine plan, it was cruel, callously prodigal and wasteful. Human beings were not the pinnacle of a purposeful creation; like everything else, they evolved by trial and error and God had no direct hand in their making. No wonder so many fundamentalist Christians find their faith shaken to the core.”

I’m sure author would never buy the argument that if God’s divine plan…“was cruel, callously prodigal and wasteful”, it was man’s doing because of original sin.

“No wonder so many fundamentalist Christians find their faith shaken to the core.”

:rotfl:

The “fundamentalists” are the ones who have held on to their faith by rejecting the religion of the godless - “Science” - and having unshakable faith in the Word of God, who rewards us with His grace. It’s those who try to synthesize godless myths with the Truth who have their faith eroded, and sometimes destroyed completely, as our Lord foretold (see my signature). Thank you, Jesus, for keeping Your promises (e.g. Mt. 13:11).

Is Karen Armstrong a fallen-away Catholic? what is her status?

She is not a Catholic theologian if that is what your asking. I don’t think she considers herself a Catholic anymore either. Nor I don’t think does she consider herself Muslem anymore (she once did). Maybe ‘deist’ or ‘agnostic’ are better terms to describe her beliefs right now.

Since she has not claimed to speak for the Church, she has not gotten into trouble officially as far as I know.

The thing that ticks me off about Dawkins et al is that they don’t realize they’re as dogmatic as they accuse Christians of being. He seems to have almost a child’s idea of what God is, like he’s a big bearded man sitting on a cloud somewhere up in the sky. If God, as we believe, is outside of space/time, and exists as one single act of being, then Dawkins idea of God having nothing to do after creating the universe would be pretty nonsensical.

Did I miss something? When exactly did the theory of evolution “prove” that existence is a meaningless series of random events?

So original sin caused the extinction of the dinosaurs? Bad enough to be punished for the sins of your ancestors but now we can also look forward to being punished for the sins of our descendants? That is just plain harsh.

You have not stated the truth correctly, but yes, it is “harsh” - that’s the point. Look at the horrible consequences of sin. And that is nothing compared to the eternal suffering of Hell. But God has provided a way to escape that penalty for sin. The Son of God Himself, Jesus Christ, bore the guilt of your sins so that your suffering and the suffering of the world might only be temporary. And there is no other way to escape the eternal punishment due to your sins. If you were wise you would plan for your future, and seek the truth now while you still can.

Well said.
I am 69 years old and I have been telling myself to start thinking about what will happen to me when I die.
I may have many years left, but the truth is - time is short.

I believe you’ve hit on the whole crux of the evolution debate. You think it’s just about science, about things observable and proveable, with some conjectures. Our protestant evangelist friends keep telling us that the real purpose is to disprove God. So observe behind the words and see who’s really telling the truth. (Seems like deja vous from the healthcare debate.)

Is the theory pushed hard because it’s simply the best science? Or is it pushed hard because it’s the best anti-religion agent? :shrug:

And remember, as communism teaches, you only need 5% of the leaders to know the real purpose, the rest can be useful idiots.:eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.