Man who lost family when jet hit house: I don't blame pilot

cnn.com/2008/US/12/09/military.jet.crash/index.html

Please pray for this poor man who lost his wife, mother-in-law and two baby girls when an F-18 crashed into his house. I was so moved to read that even in his pain he thought of the jet pilot:

A Korean immigrant who lost his wife, two children and mother-in-law when a Marine Corps jet slammed into the family’s house said Tuesday he did not blame the pilot, who ejected and survived.
Dong Yun Yoon addresses reporters Tuesday, a day after a jet crashed into his home and killed four of his relatives.

“Please pray for him not to suffer from this accident,” a distraught Dong Yun Yoon told reporters gathered near the site of Monday’s crash of an F/A-18D jet in San Diego’s University City community.

“He is one of our treasures for the country,” Yoon said in accented English punctuated by long pauses while he tried to maintain his composure.

“I don’t blame him. I don’t have any hard feelings. I know he did everything he could,” said Yoon, flanked by members of San Diego’s Korean community, relatives and members from the family’s church.

I cried when I read this:

Yoon spoke softly when he talked about his wife.

“It was God’s blessing that I met her about four years ago. She was a lovely wife and mother,” he said.

His voice fading, he added: “She loves me and babies. I just miss her so much.”

He’s a man who understands what it is to be a Christian. May God bless and comfort him in his grief.

How many of us could do that?

Jesu please flood this man with Your comfort and healing. Please make it possible for him to recover and live a blessed life. Thank You for his kindness and charity even in the worst shock and grief.
Please reward this true child of God.

I honestly don’t know if I could. I started thinking and I was ashamed to realize that my first response would be probably rage and anger rather than forgiveness. :o

This story has touched me deeply. I will keep praying for him.

Such a sad, but also inspiring, story.

God be with this poor man, and may his family rest in peace.

Also be with the pilot who is surely suffering as well from guilt, even if there was nothing he could have done to stop the catastrophe.

:signofcross:

townhall.com/Columnists/MikeGallagher/2008/12/12/inspiration_to_us_all

Oh, man… :crying:

Lord please take Mr. Yoon and the pilot of the jet in your comforting arms.

:signofcross:

Dong Yun Yoon is one of our treasures for the country. God Bless him and God Bless the Navy Pilot.

townhall.com/Columnists/MikeG…tion_to_us_all

Any sane person would recognize the nobility and Christian strength of Mr. Yoon.

It’s a pity that this person tried to take advantage of the tragedy by using it to peddle his political convictions. Shameful.

What a guy! What an inspiration! It reminds me of the Amish people a few years ago who forgave the fiend who killed some of their children. This embodies Christ’s teaching…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.