Man with brain cancer offers message of hope

NEWPORT, AR (KAIT) - A terminally ill woman from Oregon chose to end her life following the “Death with Dignity Act” after finding out she had a progressive brain tumor called glioblastoma multiforme. Brittany Maynard died this weekend after expressing her desire to end her life on her own terms.

A Region 8 man has taken a much different approach. He has the same form of brain cancer. He has lived with it for thirteen years. Doctors told him, “it was glioblastoma, and four doctors came in and said Mr. Williams, we are sorry. You’ve only got 6 months to a year to live.”

Thirteen years later, David Williams is still alive. He said he trusted his doctors, but couldn’t believe he would die. He had two brain surgeries and undergoes chemotherapy. He takes 3,000 milligrams of medication a day and hasn’t given up his fight.

wmcactionnews5.com/story/27258311/man-with-brain-cancer-offers-message-of-hope

Thank you for posting this. It makes me think of Joe Fornear, someone with whom I became acquainted after my mother was diagnosed with melanoma in 2011. He was given “days to live” by his doctors when it was found he had Stage 4 melanoma. He has been NED (No Evidence of Disease) since 2003.

mystronghold.org/joe-fornears-cancer-journey/

I guess some people would say that people like Joe are “undignified”.

The movies that this reminds me of are: Last Holiday & Joe vs Volcano.

However, the more of the woman’s story I hear, the more I think vanity played apart in her choice. I don’t think being bald, thin, and throwing up were her idea of living. I guess we all hope for more than this, but I think it demonized her to the point of irrational fear.

The issue of being bald, thin, or throwing up wasn’t in play. It was the gradual loss of her mental faculties and the untreatable extreme physical pain which played a role in her decision.

She was no where near that point. She had had a seizure that weekend. That was the extent of her loss of faculties. Headaches? ok. Still can enjoy lying on the couch with her husband, watching the sun set, snuggling with dog (or whatever), listening to the birds sing. Life was still there to live. She wasn’t at extreme physical pain. Not even close.

This bodes very bad for a LOT of people… :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.