Man with weapons and explosives arrested, was going to L.A. gay pride parade, police say

This is domestic terrorism, pure and simple. The motivation is an unfathomable hate of those who are part of the LGBTQ community.

In 2016 gay people are not safe in this country. They, especially ones of color, and trans folks, are still under attack. We must remain vigilant and make sure we keep them safe. That means watch what you say and correct people who say homophobic and transphobic things. That’s where it starts.

Authorities in Santa Monica found possible explosives as well as weapons and ammunition Sunday in the car of a man who told them he was in town for the L.A. Pride festival in West Hollywood, a law enforcement source said.

Early Sunday, Santa Monica police received a call of a suspected prowler near Olympic Boulevard and 11th Street. Patrol officers responded and encountered an individual who told officers he was waiting for a friend. That led officers to inspect the car and find several weapons and a lot of ammunition as well as tannerite, an ingredient that could be used to create a pipe bomb.

The parade comes hours after the attack at the Orlando club that killed at least 50 people. At least 53 were injured in the deadliest shooting in modern American history after a gunman took hostages. The gunman, who was killed in a shootout with police, has been identified as 29-year-old Omar Mateen, a U.S. law enforcement official said.

One source in West Hollywood said there was discussion of calling off the parade but that officials decided to go forward, with heavy security including undercover officers in the crowd.

The sources spoke to The Times on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to comment publicly.

West Hollywood City Councilwoman Lindsey Horvath said in a statement that Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials are stepping up security efforts around Sunday’s parade and other festivities. But she said officials do not believe there is any threat around Sunday’s activities.

“We are hearing absolutely devastating news reports from Orlando this morning,” she said. “Gun violence on the LGBTQ family during Pride Month makes me sick. The deadliest mass shooting in America happened to LGBTQ people on Latin night. While we mourn this heartbreaking loss, we must also rededicate ourselves to the fight for full equality for all people. No one is equal unless everyone is equal.”

No one should feel threatened for being who they are when it comes to sexuality or skin color, gender, religion and so many other things. This stuff has to stop at some point and we can help.

I don’t know anything about LA suspect, but let’s point out there’s a lot of evidence piling up about the Orlando shooter’s ties to ISIS. I suppose if he was an American citizen, he would technically be a “domestic terrorist”, but I think that makes the motivation much more complicated than “LGBTQ hate”.

ISIS has already claimed responsibility for the Orlando shooting.

Peace, Mark

I just saw that. I guess we’ll see what develops about the LA suspect. It COULD be just a giant co-incidence, but multiple coordinated simultaneous attacks, are certainly not uncommon as an Islamist terrorist tactic.

So if my pastor preaches on the sinfulness of homosexual behavior I’m supposed to correct him?

This is America. This is a place where people should be able to disagree with each other and still get along and live together just fine. But radical Islam doesn’t follow that and commits savage acts of terror. Nobody should be killed based on their religion, sexuality, political allegiance or skin color.

There is a difference.

Being gay is not a sin. Doing the actions of a gay person, sleeping with a person from the same sex is a sin.

That is the difference.

And even though it is a grave sin, we don’t blow people up or otherwise massacre them for any particular sin.:frowning:

Are you kidding? Do you know what those on the political left say and feel about those who live a religious-based life?

They, especially ones of color, and trans folks, are still under attack.

What does it have to do with race? :confused:

That’s where it starts.

“Starts” what? Please, don’t tell me that “hate speech” is the reason why one crazy extremist decides to kill a bunch of people. This is just not the case.

Unfortunately, some of the responses to the Orlando terrorist attack, have focused on the assumed sins of the victims. Including one by the sitting Governor of Texas. I don’t remember anyone discussing the sexual sins of the shooting victims in France, though the attack at the Bataclan theater targeted a rock concert, and we’ve all heard about the lifestyle of “sex, drugs, and rock and roll”. I can’t remember anyone discussing the sins of concert goers pursuing a hedonistic heterosexual lifestyle.

Hate speech can serve as a trigger to an already disturbed mind. People of color have had to fight hard for equality even within the gay community. So have transgender people and lesbians.

Either a multi-pronged radical Islamist attack or perhaps a copycat deranged individual.

I can, and I remember people telling me that Eagles of Death Metal (the band who was playing) were somehow Satanic death metal – despite being nothing of the sort, and who have notably gone on record since the attack as being against gun control, including on Fox News and in a notable RS interview:

“Did your French gun control stop a single person from dying at the Bataclan?” musician asks in emotional interview. “If anyone can answer yes, I’d like to hear it”

Read more: rollingstone.com/music/news/eagles-of-death-metals-jesse-hughes-gun-control-failed-paris-20160216#ixzz4BOtR6FES

I remember quite well having to “defend” EODM against accusations that listening to their music was somehow a sin. :frowning:

I think Bob covered that when he said “homosexual BEHAVIOR”.

Good point.

“Gay community” is something Catholics should avoid taking into account. If someone prefers people of the same sex, it is not the reason to join any kind of “community” promoting immorality and false values. P.S. I know that You’re not Catholic, but our website is. :slight_smile:

Personally I can imagine the **suppression **of “hate speech” as a better “trigger to a disturbed mind”. If a person is not allowed to speak his mind, the temptation just to “shoot’em’up” will be even stronger.

Did you not catch the fact I said “homosexual behavior” ? I ask again- if my pastor preaches about the sinfulness of homosexual behavior should he be corrected on that? If a mother complains about her 15-year-old daughter being forced to shower with adult males should she be corrected on that ? The problem with these broad statements about fighting homophobia and trans phobia is coming up with a definition that people agree on

Not in that post.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.