Mandate could force gas stations out of business

Mandate could force gas stations out of business

By Alfred Lee Staff Writer
Posted: 01/27/2009 07:04:58 AM PST

ARCADIA - Dozens, and potentially hundreds, of gas stations around California are choosing to shut down rather than comply with a state mandate that would require owners to purchase new equipment to reduce vapor emissions at the pump.
The requirement, known as Phase II in the state’s Enhanced Vapor Recovery Program, is set to go into effect in April. It requires gas station owners to individually purchase tens of thousands of dollars of equipment designed to prevent harmful vapors from escaping into the air when gasoline is pumped.

But smaller retailers say that the requirement puts an unfair burden on businesses that don’t sell enough gasoline to offset the extra cost - and that don’t contribute much to the problem in the

Among them is George Fasching, who after 31 years of selling gasoline at Fasching’s Car Wash in Arcadia, stopped in December.

“I came to the decision that I was too small a volume operator to continue on with the expenses imposed by the bureaucracy of the state,” Fasching said. …

The Rest Here

What? The state that gave us CARB is only NOW getting around to vapor recovery systems at gas stations??

We’ve had them here in Chicagoland for the better part of a decade.

California has had them for at least 15 years, but a new, more efficient version has been mandated.

Some businesses may decide that they don’t sell enough gas to warrant buying the new equipment. I don’t see any problem with this - pollution control is a cost of business which everyone bears equally. If their volume of fuel sales are so low, they should probably concentrate on their core business (convenience store, carwash, etc).

California will be the equivalent to a third world country soon. :shrug:

IMO, our entire country is right behind them. The same insane mentality from California just gained enormous power in our federal gov’t. It’s really scary if you ask me.

Dale_M;

Some businesses may decide that they don’t sell enough gas to warrant buying the new equipment. I don’t see any problem with this - pollution control is a cost of business which everyone bears equally. If their volume of fuel sales are so low, they should probably concentrate on their core business (convenience store, carwash, etc).

There goes the government, hurting people again. :mad:

Dear Neat -
Didn’t need to read the rest - Your quote was a mouthful.
Thanks for the education - how sad for us. It shouldn’t be put on the individual owners. If there’s a mandate, then the company (i.e. Mobile, Exxon, Shell, Hess - whomever) should be footing the bill - not the little guy who owns the corner station. Not just forcing gas stations out of business - but to me there’s more underlying current somehow…it makes me very uneasy - very suspicious.

I agree with the earlier posts - we are heading down a very sad road in this country. Who would have thought 25 years ago that the largest centrally planned economy would be the in U(S)SA and the best capitalists in the world would be found in Communist China.

Well who would have thought that making things more expensive and putting people out of jobs would ever be defined as economic recovery? Or a stimulus bill would include birth control and production of fewer automobiles for years to come?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.